My insanity continues....

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by jamesgpobog, Dec 1, 2020.

1. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    ...with 4 in-process builds right now, with a 5th in the wings.

So the redwood beauty is getting some satin clear today, the 'wine' is waiting for some gold hardware.

The brown is a prototype, a birch ply 1-inch thick slab, simple top rout. Single P-90, with tone/volume/jack on a wood plate for controls. the control cavity is non-standard. Paint is that highj texture 'stone' paint from Rustoleum.

The Tulip is the Teisco/Tele hybrid. It is back-routed, thru-body control mount, Tele bridge, P-90 soapbar neck. That was an afterthought, that's why the neck pup cavity is honked up a little. It also has a removable Masonite back for wire/control access.

So I want to ask a couple questions for the tulip. I have some powdered grain filler, but find it a little messy to use. Would automotive filler primer work? This one will probably have an exotic color to it, and the back will be probably black, and that will show in the edge.

I'll take suggestions for color too.

4 builds.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I'm not a big fan of the Wine, Brown or the Stone but the Redwood is absolutely beautiful and looking forward to seeing her finished.
    Personally I would have left it with just the pup cutouts and not cover up the beautiful would.
    Just my opinion mind you but she still looks beautiful.

mb doug, jamesgpobog and fuelish like this.
  3. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

That redwood looks amazing, man.....digging it a lot

mb doug likes this.
  4. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Duplicolor sandable primer should work for what you're after. I'd sand it to 400 grit and then put on a few coats of primer, sand it, and then you're good to go. You can find it at any auto parts store. If I paint, I usually use that then Duplicolor paint, then Minwax clear over the top of it.

Or get some of this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LEFQEQE/?tag=squiertalk-20

Grain fill with that, as it's less messy than the powdered stuff and sands easily, then prime it, then paint it. I'd go with something metallic, personally. Duplicolor offers a lot of options.

5. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Can't take my eyes off that redwood.

mb doug, radiotech and jamesgpobog like this.
  6. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Actually, the guard for the redwood is one of those cut down Merle Haggard guards in brown tortoiseshell...

I generally put LOTS of thought in grain and figure placement...

strat_strummer and mb doug like this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Awesome builds. :)

mb doug and jamesgpobog like this.
  8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
  9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Can't wait to see it..

jamesgpobog likes this.
  10. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
  11. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Some nice stuff going there James! Can't wait to see the finished products, and yes, auto body filler will work just fine. Try to go light and scrap off as much excess as possible before it sets so you don't go crazy with the sanding. This stuff works great too if you don't need a lot of area filled. Its cheap and available at your local Ace Hardware:

[​IMG]

I know..."FAMOWOOD" sounds like an "ACME" product from the Road Runner & Coyote cartoon!

jamesgpobog likes this.