My HH plan

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by A Green Cow, Nov 24, 2020.

1. A Green Cow

A Green Cow Squier Talker

Nov 22, 2020
    Australia
    Hi Everyone,
    So I'm looking to change the pick up in my tele. I have a general idea of what I'm going to do, but always happy for the collective mind input.

The stumbling point at the moment is the push pull for the coil splitting, the physical switch that is. I saw a video a while back where the switch was recessed into the top of the knob kind of hidden, instead of having to push/pull the whole knob. I know I saw this on a video somewhere, but of course I can't find it now.

In terms of the hum buckers themselves, I'm leaning towards Seymour Duncan, but happy to hear suggestions for anything else I should consider.

Thanks for any input.

mb doug, dbrian66 and Oldguitarguy like this.
  2. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-holic

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Guitarmadness hot rodded humbuckers from eBay!

mb doug, dbrian66 and A Green Cow like this.
  3. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    @Birddog144 would be the person to ask about switches.

Personally if I was going to pend the money for SD pickup, I'd get a set of P-Rails, which covers, single coil, P90 and unbalanced PAF sounds. They also have trim ring with an embedded switch, to change between the different sections of the pickup.

GuitarMadness is very popular here with a variety of pickups.

Again, @Ken Rose at https://www.rosepickups.com/ can wind to your individual taste, and is also an active member here at S-T. Kens pickups are great and his customer service is second to none. He does ship internationally.

Good luck.

4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a fun project ahead of you. I don’t know if you have ever played a guitar with a coil split before, but in my experience, it’s not worth the trouble. It’s fun and kind of gimmicky at first, but then I never use it. But I do like @jefffam ’s idea of using P-Rails. I have always wanted to try a set of those but haven’t yet. But @IronSchef did a Tele build with a set and it is one of my all time favorite builds on this forum. Maybe he can chime in and give us a review! Here is a link to his build thread.

https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/ngd-p-tele-project-completed.157841/

5. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    What you’re looking for is a Fender S-1 switch, a quick google shopping search will find you a bunch, they are around $20, and the knob w/button top will run another 6 to 8 bucks (those are US prices, I imagine Aussie prices/shipping will be much higher).

I buy most of my pickups used, my fav HH is my MIM Blacktop Tele, which has an 80’s DiMarzio SD in the neck, and a Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge (F-spaced, bridge specific model). My second fav(s) HH is a tie, one has Gretsch Blacktop Filtertron’s, and the other has GM ‘57’s (Alnico II).

A Green Cow and dbrian66 like this.
  6. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I'd do a Dimarzio Tone Zone or Dimarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge, there great for Rock and Metal. I like the Duncan Distortion too.

What type of music do you play.?

A Green Cow and dbrian66 like this.
  7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    That’s the usual thought process... but I LOVE my Super Distortion in the neck of my Blacktop Tele for cleans!
    82D16E2A-4E18-4996-9D0C-E4A8552BF55A.jpeg

8. A Green Cow

Nov 22, 2020
    Australia
    Usually middle of the road drumming. :)

On the guitar I'm a very low average player, I mainly play for writing, and at best a passable rhythm guitar, rock stuff, I don't know, I tend to write more than play and I don't have a set style. To put it simply, I'm not a guitarist, but I do like guitars and electronics, so why not have some fun changing things up.

Addit: The idea behind this guitar is something with a bit more of a chunky sound than my MIM tele. I like the idea that it looks like the standard HH set up, but has some nice surprises under the covers.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    dbrian66 likes this.
  9. A Green Cow

Nov 22, 2020
    Australia
    That is exactly the switch, thanks for saving me many hours of headaches in trying to find it.

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. A Green Cow

Nov 22, 2020
    Australia
    Thanks for posting that. After looking at the set up, the Seymour Duncan page for the wiring, and some online reviews of the pick ups, I think this is exactly the kind of set up I'm looking to do. 2PRail_3G_1VppSPL_1TppSPL.jpg

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. A Green Cow

Nov 22, 2020
    Australia
    Hi Everyone,
    Sorry for the lack of updates. Finding all the bits here in Australia has proven difficult, so was looking around elsewhere. Then I got a job offer across the other side of the country, so I've been flat out like a lizard drinking getting that all organised. Looks like this project will be on hold for the foreseeable future. On the plus side, more time to find all the bits I want.

Rick-T137 likes this.