My first track created with the new Behringer U-Phoria UM2 and Garageband

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Nov 24, 2021.

1. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Following on from ^

Probably because of my age, I tend to think of the DAW as a multi-track tape recorder, but with pictures. :D

duceditor likes this.
  2. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Two things that will help you if you really (mentally) embrace them, are the idea of non-destructive editing and the fact that all your audio tracks are "dry".

If you are happy with the guitar part in chorus one, you can copy and paste it to chorus two. If you delete a selected audio section by mistake, there's an "undo" button.

In terms of signal processing / amps / effects, you can add, subtract or tweak any time you want once your performance is captured. Want more of a Vox sound than Fender? Just change the amp plugin and it is so - instantly.

3. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    The Carrs are looking for you, their thinking about a '22 tour.

4. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    Good work for early on usage :)

I found this site invaluable over the years( worth a bookmark).

http://www.benvesco.com/blog/mixing/

No nonsense advice and Ben is approachable as well :)

beagle likes this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

Thanks for sharing that, Hal! Yes! Bookmarked for sure! :)

-don

6. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I find that DAWs can do far more things than I will ever have the need for. For one, I don't do midi, or loops, etc. So a lot of those things I don't need to know.

Ladeeh and beagle like this.
  7. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    Yea, and gotta know what you'll be using DAW for and choose what you will buy accordingly. It's silly to pay for Ableton, for example, if you are not gonna use it for live performances.

8. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I'm totally new to all this, but I'm experientially aware of The Trap. -That of "stuff."

I've seen it happen with cameras, with guitars -- even with things like cars and motorcycles. (Houses, too, I guess.) Where the "what" -- and the focus on that "what" -- overwhelms the to me far more important "why."

I suppose I may reach the point where my little $20, bargain, Behringer jobbie isn't enough. But for now it is more than enough. There is just SO MUCH TO LEARN!!! And for me the focus will, I truly hope and purpose, to remain on music.

:)

-don

Ladeeh and SubSailer671 like this.
  9. OOMTOM

OOMTOM Squier-Nut

Jun 19, 2021
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Don, please accept from me, someone who is musically challenged, I thought it was
    "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

Tom

beagle, Caddy and duceditor like this.
  10. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    @duceditor, I am looking forward to hearing Jan join you playing keyboard and doing some vocals.

duceditor and SubSailer671 like this.
  11. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    If you are now pleased with quality of sound (how it captures your instruments and vocals), there is no need to upgrade your "little Behringer"! If, however, at some point you decide you need more inputs or outputs than your interface provides you, then it's time to upgrade.

Caddy and duceditor like this.
  12. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I know a lot of people are very happy with that Behringer interface.

I have been using a Focusrite Scarlett i2i for years (first edition of them).

duceditor and beagle like this.
  13. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    I had been using 2i4 first gen until i bought Audient EVO4. Scarletts are nice! This Behringer is good also, it would be my first choice actually if I was a bass player.

duceditor and Caddy like this.
  14. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Behringer is known to be a copycat. -A maker of lower cost, but still pretty decent, copycat products.

I do not know the fine points, but looking at the overviews I suspect the Scarlett i2i was the model "looked at" and targeted for Behringer's UM2.

If it has limitations they are well above my current level, and quite possibly all I'll ever need. I am quite impressed with it. s, indeed, I have been with several of Behringer's other guitar and sound products.

:)

-don

Caddy likes this.