My first track created with the new Behringer U-Phoria UM2 and Garageband

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Nov 24, 2021.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Got the system running -- finally! There is still much, much to learn, but I am reasonably pleased with this as a first attempt.

"On and On (She Keeps Goin')" laid down in three overdub tracks. The "BlackBox Band" backing track I'd made some time ago, then a track of just my Les Paul CM with an "amp" sound created in Garageband, then a vocal track laid down on top of those.

Again, there is still much to learn as regards tones, pan position across the stereo field, etc. etc. -- but it's a start! :)

-don

2. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Well done Don!

You took to that like a fish to water. I really like the stereo panning on that track. The levels of things might not be what I have mixed, but that is subjective, no?

I like it.

dbrian66, duceditor and beagle like this.
  3. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    You got started. :D

And it sounds like a good start to me. You can improve the mix easily enough and learn as you do it/do it as you learn.

dbrian66, duceditor and SubSailer671 like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    And I'm with you. It's not ideal, but it's a start.

I expect there is some good instruction available somewhere, but most of what I've found is basically "buy this, its better" and YouTube stuff that, even if (as I a few times did) I waded past the crappy ads, were Windows based and not too helpful to me as a shallow-skilled Apple user.

So far its all been learn by trying this and that until I get something that works and/or that I like at least a little.

-don

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    SubSailer671, dbrian66 and Caddy like this.
  5. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-holic

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj

6. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    I can’t open it without SoundCloud. Would like to hear it though

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Soundcloud should be free. It is just a website. Will it not open and work for you?

(I know it rejects some browsers, but even these will, I've found, work is you choose an incognito (i.e., "private") window.

I do not know any other way to share it. The MP3 file is too big to attach here on S-T.

-don

beagle, SubSailer671 and dbrian66 like this.
  8. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    I’ll wait can use another computer. Thanks.

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

That sounds really good, Don! Very impressive, especially for your first recording.

duceditor, BlueSquirrel and dbrian66 like this.
  10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

You could save it as a video with no actual video and put it on YouTube, but I'm fine with Soundcloud.

duceditor, BlueSquirrel and dbrian66 like this.
  11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Sounded good to me! Way better than I could have done. :)

The link doesn’t work for me either, but if I search the title in my sound cloud app, I found it there.

duceditor likes this.
  12. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Congrats, Don, it sounds killer ! It's amazing how crisp your recording is, it feels like we are in the studio with you!

One little suggestion, though : I don't know whether it is feasible but if it is not too complicated, I think the overall mix could be even better if you could turn up the volume of the vocals a little (without making any changes to the instruments).

duceditor, Caddy and dbrian66 like this.
  13. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Soundcloud is fine. Sounds good.

Doing this will make for a good and rewarding time for you, @duceditor. Far more fun and interesting than just playing alone at home as we normally do. I don't like playing with premade backing tracks created by others. Limited to some one else's arrangement and to only songs written by other people. Doing this allows for much more creativity.

14. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    Nevada
    I liked it too. Very good!

duceditor likes this.
  15. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Near as I can tell, there aren't any videos out there on the creative side. There are many videos on the "how" to do a certain thing (double track, edit, loop, punch-in, etc.) at least for the DAWs that I know reasonably well (Reaper and Ardour). I can't tell you of any specific to Garageband--I haven't looked and I'm not an Apple guy.

I think the more important part is the making music part. The tech can be learned--turning it into music is where all the art is. Mixing is as much a part of a song's sound as is the performance. I don't think you will find a video out there explaining how to do that.

duceditor and Caddy like this.
  16. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    Nice start Don! I like it.

duceditor likes this.
  17. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Triple Jim likes this.
  18. papa920

papa920 Squier-Nut

Oct 9, 2011
    Illinois, USA
    Great job Don . I got an interface while recovering from hernia surgery , but I haven't been able to master it as you seem to have , Looking forward to your next masterpiece !

duceditor likes this.
  19. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Thanks, all, for the kind encouragement.

@beagle , for those links!!!

I tend to learn by doing. But with digital (or anything else menu driven), where A has to occur before you can even know that B exists, there is often frustration attached to that.

With the U-Phoria hardware/Garageband software thing I "solved" the problem, then it became unsolved, and then the same thing worked again. Whaaa? I truly have no idea.

Getting the tracks placed in space left to right and desirable track balance will be my next focus. Perhaps using the same material. IF such is possible? (My attempts at track panning sounded awful -- it weakened the mix despite it being badly needed. I will need to learn why.)

Another problem for me is my poor and worsening hearing.

I have very fine hearing aids, and these have an easily turned on 'music' setting. But how does what I hear compare to what someone with good hearing hears? I have no way of knowing. My great-to-me mix could totally suck!

Ah, age, where is thy sting? Here I am1 Here I am! :)

This is in part why all of your comments here are of such value. If what I create passes muster with you, skilled and passionate music lovers and music makers, then that is to me a hopeful sign that I'm not totally off the mark, even as I continue to learn and grow in these new to me skills.

-don

Caddy and beagle like this.
  20. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I found that I learned what I needed as I needed it. The simplest DAWs are capable of doing so many things that we never knew we needed to do that it's genuinely frightening at times.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    SubSailer671, Caddy and duceditor like this.