My fascination with cheap (inexpensive guitars)

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by blackspider57, Oct 18, 2020 at 11:51 AM.

1. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    It never fails to amaze me how much I enjoy my most inexpensive guitars.
    The look, the tone, the feel, and of course the price as well.
    I have been selling off my more expensive guitars as they provide me with no more pleasure than the "el cheapo's".

I guess after 45+ years of playing I am in a state of devolution?
    Plus the cheap guitars of today have improved greatly as I am sure most of you would agree.
    For example,
    this guitar purchased for less than $100.00 makes me smile every time I play it (which is often).
    (Sticker on the pickguard has long since been removed) :)
    Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.47.38 AM.png

Boppsey, Eddd, jbrowning and 15 others like this.
  2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Properly set up, they can sound, play, feel just as good as the spendy one's if not better. I rarely take my MIA out of the case because I enjoy my cheapo's so much more.

Eddd, fattboyzz, Stratlover84 and 4 others like this.
  3. squierfire

squierfire Squier Talker

May 11, 2019
    Germany
    Fascination is the right word. There is something about getting nice tones from an inexpensive guitar, it makes me happy.

4. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I totally agree w you, why pay more for almost the same tones. I also like the real affordable china pickups, they sound decent too... Personally, I have a fascination in affordable guitars between the $100 to $400 range. You can get some nice guitars in this range. Ex: Epiphones, Corts, Deans, Ibanez, Hamer, and more. Most of the Korean guitars I own are decent in my experience, obviously The USA and Japan made guitars are of a better quality, but not by much.

And also, If you take an inexpensive guitar and plug it into a computer audio interface running it's software, it will sound almost identical to a high cost guitar. I truly can't hear the difference. I'm serious. Good post.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 12:42 PM
  5. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    I've been fascinated with cheap guitars since I got my E7 mik in the 80s. My friends would call it a cheap piece of Korean ****, then they would play it and then try to get me to sell it to them and I had a couple guys offer to trade American strats for it.

6. jordnot

jordnot Squier-Meister

May 1, 2020
    EU
    I know what you mean, I am the same, I get a kick out of playing cheap no name guitars that plays great, :) When I was a younger, I always made sure I ONLY played brand names, lol

Eddd and Angry Possum like this.
  7. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    I get it if/when a cheap guitar provides EVERYTHING and/or more than a more expensive guitar. However every time I try a truly cheap guitar, I A/B it against my primary guitar(s) and they, so far, have never surpassed my most expensive guitars. Therefore, like in sports, cars, beer, Scotch... if it isn't the best, it goes. I don't accumulate and I don't ever keep "lesser" acoustics or electrics. If the cheap guitar was better, it would stay and the more expensive would go.

8. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    I recently bought a harley benton DC junior style of guitar, had a few minor issues that I sorted myself. for a £170 it just comes alive with every string vibration which you can feel through the neck and body. Now I've never owned a high end guitar or anything above £250 so cant compare like for like, but I love how this little bit of wood and metal comes alive....

Angry Possum and Stratlover84 like this.
  9. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    Ditto:
    IMG-20200812-WA0012.jpg
    Mine is just like this, image taken from sister site, but I put chrome knobs on it:
    epi lp sl.jpg
    IMG-20200830-WA0014.jpg

They all deserve their own threads - that is how much I enjoy them. Like spinning gold from straw when properly setup and fresh strings!

Cochise, drewcp, Eddd and 2 others like this.
  10. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-holic

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I just sold my 2015 MIM standard strat ( the middle one in my avatar) because I didnt get it out of the case much. The good thing is I bought it at a Ma and POP shop on sale for$399 to me of course and just sold it today for $650! I did change the pick guard to black and gave him a cheap hard case I bought for $30. I got 2 strats and 1 tele affinity which is on C.G. right now. I could buy a lot of cheap guitars with this money !

Eddd, Angry Possum and fattboyzz like this.
  11. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  12. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

I do love my "affordable guitars" to death, they all play well with a little tweaking, but , having been off work having two hip surgeries, have spent a lot of daily time with all of them, and my two most expensive (nothing crazy, my MIM Thinline was the most, so I guess that's affordable to many) have played the best since new. The Thinline and a BMG Special cost me the most, play like quicksilver...but they don't take away from the others - my "affordable"HSS Bullet Strat (hate the word cheap) is a fantastic bargain - sanded down fret edges, adjusted pickups and saddle heights, and it's one of my favorites to pick up...it's a great time to be a guitarist on a budget

Eddd, Stratlover84 and Angry Possum like this.
  13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    My next Strat will be like that one ;)

Eddd likes this.
  14. jordnot

jordnot Squier-Meister

May 1, 2020
    EU

Yes that is what is so great with todays CNC technology, inexpensive guitars can be really good nowadays! But then of course, hardware etc, is another thing.

Eddd, strat_strummer and Angry Possum like this.
  15. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I think the reason for this site starts with all of us enjoying more frugally prices guitars. There is an enjoyment that comes with using cheaper, or used older on the cheap, and making it extremely useful. I will also say I would never turn my nose up at a more expensive guitar. But I love the whole ‘silk from a sow’s ear’ aesthetic

16. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-holic

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I got a 2009mim special edition which I traded a 339 ES for because I couldn't bond with the Epi and its 12" radius board and my Squier 2009 L.E which I bought for $75 but it came with a fender 15 amp. I sold the amp for $ 25 so I got a $5o guitar. Guess which one gets picked up first! :)

strat_strummer likes this.
  17. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    I get the frugal, cost saving, even need at times. What I don't ever get is when I see (frequently) someone who has 6, 8, 10....20 cheap guitars - I would take the money, save it and wait to purchase one great guitar. Or, sell off all but one "cheapie" and put that towards one excellent guitar. It's not about the cheap, it's about the quality. Why buy numerous needy guitars that you feel you have to upgrade, modify, fix....trying to make it something it isn't. If you know what you want, just save and buy that. You know, have one good cheap guitar and save $100 a month until you get the money for the super-guitar you crave.

18. pwnyb0y

pwnyb0y Squier Talker

Sep 11, 2020
    Texas
    I'm actually trying to acquire that same guitar for at or under $100 at the moment. I have a few 2-5k guitars, and they are all nice and fun to play and have sentimental value to me as well, but I love these cheapies I've put together over the last month just as much as any of them. In fact that Squier neck in my avatar is one of my favorites to play now. I split that guitar up so the neck and electronics/knobs are on on a different body, while the body itself got paired with a maple neck and a black pickguard for that DG look.

19. Eddd

Eddd Squier-Meister

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    Some people collect stamps ,others build amateur radio some enjoy fiddling around with their cheap guitars and it keeps their mind off of other things . It’s called a “hobby “ .Doesn’t mean we can’t afford more expensive gear.

20. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

There will always be a place in my heart for "budget" guitars. I learned to play on a Silvertone. My second guitar was a Norma. Todays cheap guitars are light years ahead of those in terms of playability! Imagine what the "guitar revolution" of the 60's would have been like if the cheap department store stuff had been better/easier players!

Stratlover84, strat_strummer and Eddd like this.