My dilemma when searching for my first guitar

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fluffy391, Nov 24, 2020.

1. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    The video is about 2 years old. The guitar is a MIM Standard, so that's a bit older, because they were replaced by the Player in 2018.

drewcp and Angry Possum like this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Shane said it was $499. They were more than $499 for several years before being replaced by the Player Series. Doing some research online, I see the MIM Standard went from $499 to $599 in October of 2015, more than five years ago. So, Shane's video had to be before Oct. 2015. So, I exaggerated by 5 years.

3. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    shane.png

So he made a mistake. Translating everything from your own currency into US dollars is a pain in the arse at the best of times.

4. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Shane has had that Strat for many years, so they probably were $499 when he bought it.

5. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  6. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    But the OP is in Australia, it's a long paddle to Maryland. The shipping costs would finance a small third world country for a whole year.

drewcp likes this.
  7. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier-Meister

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    Yeah, I don't look much on reverb for that reason. I can find examples where I pay more for the shipping than the guitar.

8. Zman

Zman Squier-Meister

Jan 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I would buy the best guitar you can afford especially for your first guitar. So many people buy a "starter" guitar because they don't want to spend a lot and find they don't like it. And they end up not liking the feel and tone. I would think that being so close to the orient and Indonesia that guitars would not be that hard to come by. Of course I know nothing about the Australian guitar market.
    But as I said get the highest quality guitar you can afford. You will not regret the purchase.