My dilemma when searching for my first guitar

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fluffy391, Nov 24, 2020.

1. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier-Meister

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    Just an interesting opinion that I've had for a while.
    The specific guitar(s) that I'm looking for second hand are the squier deluxe stratocaster($400 used), squier SE stratocaster ($300 used) or any good quality second hand MIK or MIJ. The problem is, these hardly ever come up, and if they do they are often overpriced or live on the other side of the continent.

My favourite squier CV series is the 50's in white blonde, and these retail for $579 (and no-one's selling them used at the moment). This is more expensive than any of the used squiers that I am targeting.

So my dilemma is, why should I pay more for a CV, (which in theory is kind of worse), when I can buy a second hand one?
    But even if I want to buy a second hand, these never come up. So shouldn't I give up the search?

Any like minded folks out there? or just me.

2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Good things come to those who wait... but in this case, you many have waited too long, as member @Big tuna just listed (and sold) A CV ‘50’s Strat for a song right here!
    AND... it took a week to sell!

So the lesson is... check the classified here often!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    dbrian66 likes this.
  3. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier-Meister

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    yeah, he didn't want to ship overseas. It looked nice though

drewcp, ScoobySnacker and dbrian66 like this.
  4. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois

It's tough when there are no good used guitars for sale. The only "workaround" is to buy whatever is available in your price range, or order one from a store.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

fluffy391, ScoobySnacker and dbrian66 like this.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I read posts like this and realize how lucky we are here in the US when it comes to used guitars. SE’s are always in the classifieds here and often under $100. All I can suggest is to check all the classifieds several times a day. Eventually the right deal will come along.

ScoobySnacker likes this.
  6. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Buy what you can afford and try locally. You need something comfortable and playable. What is is really doesn't matter. You can't play a dream.

TeleSi, brians, fluffy391 and 2 others like this.
  7. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Have you tried Craigslist, Face Book Marketplace, and Apps such as Letgo and Offer up etc?

8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I usually check locale, but yea... guitars are not easy or cheap for Aussie’s.

You might want to look at Harley Benton’s from Thomann, shipping is high right now, but their prices and quality on the upper models are very good.

beagle likes this.
  9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    For argument's sake, let's say you have a budget and you've been setting aside money for a 2nd hand guitar of your choice. Y0u've reached the amount you'd like to spend, but no guitar is available. Keep saving. At some point, you'll either find the 2nd hand guitar you want, or you will reach the budget for a new guitar.

10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Left the Forum
    Why is a new CV kind of worse?

ScoobySnacker and beagle like this.
  11. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-holic

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I think he means worse as in higher price and none used i hope!

ScoobySnacker likes this.
  12. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier-Meister

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    not sure, I think I'd prefer the deluxe Strat over the CV.

13. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Have you ever tried either of them? Reading specs and looking at pictures on your computer tell you nothing useful, even the colours aren't accurate.

drewcp and Guitarmageddon like this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Left the Forum
    The new CV is a higher quality instrument, I've tried both.....

beagle likes this.
  15. Botso

Botso Squier-Meister

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    Build the guitar you want! I only own one guitar that I bought intact. Everything else is pieced together and I usually get the sound I want. Maybe give it a thought.

Birddog144 likes this.
  16. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Birddog144 likes this.
  17. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    AFAIK, you Aussie folks have an hard time when it comes to guitars, over there. The prices seem rather high (I know we ain't talking about USD as currency), but perhaps a good source for you regarding cheaper alternatives to Squier might come from the fellow affordable guitar enthusiast, Aussie YouTuber Shane from intheblues.

Back to your original point, I'm a big fan of second-hand instruments: firstly, you can't go more sustainable than buying what's already on the market and being given no use by the current owner. From a more objective perspective, you can pay less for more, so for the same budget, you might get a substantially better instrument used than you would buying new; finally, there's quite a fun and exciting feel in lurking around your local sales websites and pawn stores until one day you find something that really awes you and with specs you simply can't find anymore in currently produced instruments.

The problem with buying second-hand, though, is that you miss one of the key aspects of a new item: its warranty, translating in the possibility of getting your money back if you later find out you've paid for a turd. Sadly, either from inexperience or lack of attention, I've already got my fair share of guitars with issues over the years (luckily, still good deals for what I've paid nonetheless), so don't assume the seller's good faith when you're meeting a stranger at a parking lot and testing the instrument they have just picked off their car's trunk, noodling in it for five minutes while sitting in the curbside. Mainly if would be your first guitar, it would be a massive help to bring a more experienced friend along for a potential deal.

Angry Possum and TimTheViking like this.
  18. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier-Meister

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    I'm thinking of potentially building a guitar too, that's why I'm looking for an SE.

On a side note, thank you everyone for helping me on my search for a guitar. Hopefully a good one turns up soon.

Angry Possum likes this.
  19. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    How old is that video from Shane? A Mexican Strat hasn't been $499 for about ten years!

20. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I wouldn't necessarily recommend you a SE as your first guitar... This coming from someone who had (and still has) an SE as his first guitar, turned it into a project and still loves it to bits.

The thing with SEs is that while they're great platforms, they simply aren't very good guitars in their stock form. The stock pickups are very low output and harsh-sounding, with poor quality electronics paired with them.

Hardware-wise they're decent enough and on pair with an Affinity, but it's the fit and finish that is really bad, mine came with very high, unplayable action brand-new and still requires a neck shim just so the saddles aren't bottomed out and their screws poking into my palm.

I'd strongly advise you to buy a more solid instrument from the get go and then perhaps, if one pops up for real cheap, going for the project guitar.

Guitarmageddon likes this.