Mustang GT amps released today!

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by jeffbeck, May 1, 2017.

1. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Was just reading, this morning, that Fuse will no longer be supported. That's disappointing.

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  2. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    The reports in are the 40 sounds the best out of the box of the three, and that the 100/200 need to have the speakers broken in like the originals. My MIII V2 took about two hours at around 4-5 to break in, it was so loud, I put a 20ft cord into it, and played down the hall with the door to the room closed, my MIII v1 was good after a few hours of bedroom level volume 2-3.
    I recall in the day: The bass reflex cab my Dad and I built, we installed new 15" electro-voice speaker, I had to cook that through three rehearsals before it sounded good.

BTW, I still don't have my GT40 yet, between overtime this week (actually on a double today, which is my Saturday), appointments, and daughter #2's Finals week, I haven't had a chance to pick it up.

I did a trade with one of my fav small shops (which at my new place, is NOT close), and they're not even open today if I DID want to pick it up... my schedule is tied up right through next weekend.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Disappointing yes, but not supported is not SO bad, as long as they have the last version available to still download (and firmware for the amp).
    They officially stopped supporting the G-Dec, but the current version of Fuse still works with them.
    They are at this point still carrying the MI, and Bronco 40 which still use Fuse, so I HOPE this only means "no new versions"

There a LOT of Mustangs out there, and the Mini/MI/II/Bronco is (for me) are almost useless without Fuse.

Kenneth Mountain and jamndad like this.
  4. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-Nut

Apr 1, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    I've been down the modeling road before and it isn't for me. However, these did raise my eyebrow a bit. With the technology advancing at such a rapid pace, it's only a question of time until a modeling amp is going to blow everything else away. Not there yet but sounds like they're getting close. I'm curious enough to want to drive to GC to check one out.

5. txflood

txflood Squier-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    North Carolina
    I've been reading interviews with more and more pros that are dropping their current live rigs and switching to Kemper profiling gear so I think that day is very near.

I too will be looking for the new Fender amps at my local GCs.

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  6. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I have been a self proclaimed "tube snob" for quite a while, I have never bonded with a modeling amp, and I have tried a couple. This new Fender GT40 that I tried could definitely fit in my set up, at minimum as a practice amp, if not even using it in recording situations. Now, I have to think that if that is the case, why not live? Well as I don't play live much anymore so this is not an issue for me, but my attitude has changed somewhat towards these amps.

Kenneth Mountain and jeffbeck like this.
  7. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Just a heads up:
    Musicians Friend is having their call & save promotion. It gets you 15% off most items over $300. It is usable on Fender products, including the 100/200 GT's. This puts them at $339, and $509 (respectively). If you have any backstage pass points, you can apply those as well.
    You'll save 10% on the 40, putting it at $225.

It's rare that MF includes Fender in their sales, so this is a good bargain on a brand-new product. Please note the other "WELCOME" sale for 10 and 15% off, is not good on Fender products. You have to call them to get this discount.

The call in sale applies to many major brands not often discounted by MF.
    IMG_2449.JPG

Davis Sharp likes this.
  8. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Finally got a chance today to pick the GT40 up. I'm not going to go into the software aspect today, just first impressions of operation, and tone.

If you've used a III & up, you'll feel right at home operation-wise. Most of the best presets (sans effects) from the previous versions are already in it. Yes, they sound different because of the smaller speakers, but very good... though it's hard to say if it sounds better, because it's not as loud as what I usually play my MIII at.

Effects like sine chorus, stereo tape delay, and shimmer Reverb are more full and robust because of the stereo used to improve the effect.

I'm a bit disappointed that a rotary speaker effect was not added, The stereo speakers could've really done something with that.

I'm listening to Lake Street Dive through the amp right now, and I do have to say it sounds better than the M3 through the auxiliary jack. There are no settings on the amp for Bluetooth volume, you just use the volume control on your device.
    In a nice feature; you can rename the amp's Bluetooth name to something else (if you have more than one, or you'd like it to be more anonymous so other people don't connect to it).

As we've discussed previously, guitar amp speakers really aren't made for high fidelity audio reproduction, so using an auxiliary jack, or Bluetooth in is never going to sound as good as your stereo (or even as good as a bass, or keyboard amp auxiliary in). The mid range and highs of music sound very good on the Bluetooth, the bass is a little hollow sounding but better than the M3 (probably because the GT 40 uses a ported cabinet, instead of an open back).

I did notice powering through the presets, that when I came back to preset 00, it did sound better than when I first tried it, so even the little GT40 needs some speaker Break-in.

jeffbeck likes this.
  9. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Just wanted to share, that I got to test my MIII's MS-4 button switch on the GT-40 today (with the printed out overlay from Fenders site), and it worked perfectly (as did the EXP-1), no glitchiness whatsoever.

The hardest thing about it... getting used to the buttons having different functions that they did on the M3.

I did try the two button footswitch as well (for those of you wondering), but it did absolutely nothing.

Looper is very fun, and easy to use.

jeffbeck likes this.
  10. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Was just at GC with one of my boys. He plugged into a GT100, scrolled through the presets and came across this setting. I kid you not! :D

20170513_133247.jpg

11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-Meister

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Did it sound fat and dirty?

mechanic1908 and jamndad like this.
  12. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    LOL!! It was not bad, at all!

13. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I've tried that preset, I think it's based off "Stacy's Mom".

jamndad likes this.
  14. scifilullaby

scifilullaby Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    It's a very cool gadget.

IMG_1415.jpg IMG_1414.jpg

radiotech likes this.
  15. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    The Tuner kind of looks like the Death Star approaching...
    IMG_2511.JPG

txflood and scifilullaby like this.
  16. scifilullaby

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    OK this is weird... I cannot seem to connect to my wifi. It gets stuck on this screen and won't connect.. I tried a couple of tricks from the fender support website but they don't work.. supposedly this is solved with an update but I can't get the update :(
    IMG_7009.JPG

17. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Fremont, CA
    I think this was to be expected. USB is pretty tried and true but BlueTooth is just as quirky as can be. My BT goodies work or don't work on their own accord. Hope Fender has a patch/workaround for that.

Doesn't the amp have a USB port for such issues? Man, my old Line 6 Spider III is looking better all the time. I was wanting a Mustang IV or V to gig with but now that Fender saw fit to discontinue them, I don't know what to do.

scifilullaby likes this.
  18. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Had this myself, because on the day I got it, the app updated but then couldn't connect to the amp because it needed the firmware update.
    I manually went into the amp wifi settings and put in the wifi password in with the jogwheel. It connected fine, and was able to do the update then. No connection issues with the wifi or BT since.
    Most recent amp firmware also corrects BT phone lock screen issue (if your phone locked, it disconnected from the amp). There's been one app, and two firmware updates since I got mine.

If this doesn't take after a couple tries, try restarting your router.

scifilullaby likes this.
  19. scifilullaby

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    Thanks Radiotech, you see the problem is that I tried to manually enter my wifi details (one scroll down then press the jogdial and enter ssid password etc) but again it hangs. I reset the amp to factory settings and restarted everything, again the same thing. I suspect that because I have two apple routers physically interconnected to create a basic roaming network, the amp might be picking up both signals and unsure which one to connect to, at least initially.