Mustang GT amps released today!

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by jeffbeck, May 1, 2017.

1. kenneth

kenneth Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2016
    Canada
    I think it has been 4 or 5 years since I have been this excited to get an amp! This has incredible possibilities!
    Wooohooo!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. scifilullaby

scifilullaby Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    Cheers! yes, I'm looking at that one too... Kind of like its shape too, sexier than the 100 or 200 boxes.

btw I see the 1-speaker 100 comes with stereo XLR outputs.

3. Bear

Bear Squier-holic

Oct 29, 2013
    Kentucky
    Nice, but I still won't part with my G-DEC 3 THIRTY!

4. Big-Tele

Big-Tele Squier Talker

Sep 15, 2015
    Melbourne Australia
    Ive got a Mustang 2 v 1, but have never really gelled with it for some reason. Bought a Boss Katana 50 recently and I love it. More straight forward to use - an amp with effects whereas the Mustang seemed more of a computer that's also an amp. The Katana also seems to have more output where the Mustang always seemed a bit gutless. More than the 50watt vs 40watt rating would seem. But each to his ( or her ) own. That's why there all these different brands and models - something for everyone.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Kenneth Mountain and ponca like this.
  5. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Yep, on the v2: the III & up have stereo XLR out, weird that the 40 doesn't (but not a deal killer).
    It would be nice to be able to XLR it into a PA or bigger amp (though it can be done via the headphone jack).

I have a Mustang Mini, and Bronco 40 as well (same interface as I/II), and if they were my introduction to the Mustang series, I might agree with you... but not for power (the Bronco is not gutless, it easily rattles my windows and gutters), but for the interface.

My aging eyes have a hard time discerning tricolor LED's, and I find the interface fiddling to aggravating at best. I made/loaded/tweaked all the presets for those two in Fuse, and use only the amp knob controls most of the time, had I not already had the III, and familiarity with fuse, I probably wouldn't have bought (or kept) them.

Luckily, I opted for the MIII (actually came upon it accidentally on the week it first came out), and immediately took to the screen/jogwheel interface. As my kids, ex, (and former neighbors) can tell you, it ain't gutless. It's almost impossible to put higher than 4 (on the master) in the house, (and even outside, and a few small halls, I've never had it above 6-7). After six months with it, I sold my tube rig of 25+ years.
    The Mini of course seems gutless on its own, but plugged into almost anything else (even my car stereo), it becomes much bigger.

I agree some interfaces are simpler/friendlier than the I/II (Roland cube series for one), which is why I'm glad Fender dropped the fiddly bits, and gave all of them the screen/jogwheel.

6. Big-Tele

Big-Tele Squier Talker

Sep 15, 2015
    Melbourne Australia
    Glad you had a better result radiotech. Anyway we both seem to have something that suits us so win win. We are all different and we have an amazing range of gear to choose from.

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  7. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I concur. While I have the Mini (it's my bench amp), and do throw it in the back of the car with my Pacifica sometimes, I prefer using my microCube for simplicity, because of its easier-to-tweak-y-ness. I've got a bass cube as well, which has the easiest to use drum machine in it I've ever used. But if I want a longer lasting battery experience, I take the Mini (it uses six "C"s).

8. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Still no GT. Had OT again, and Dentist for daughter #2... :confused:

But Fender did put the manual up today: Mustang GT manual

9. scifilullaby

scifilullaby Squier-Meister

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    My local store expects them around the 20th.. not so long then

Kenneth Mountain and Opyron like this.
  10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016
    I dropped in to my local GCenter and the two smaller ones were on display. I didn't have time to test them but the sales guy whom I've dealt with for several years, and a guitarist in a band, says he really liked them, even better than the Mustang V2 versions. He said the smaller one with the stereo speakers really shines with reverb and some other effets. Cosmetically, they look a little too drab, I think, but I prefer that over useless glitter.

11. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I got a chance to play the small one today when I picked up my new Tele (NGD post to follow). I will share a brief review. Now I did own a Mustang I v2 and although it was decent, I really had to use fuse to get good tones, the built in presets just seemed too digital to me and the speaker was very weak in my opinion. Now on to the GT.

I am not a huge SS fan and I really don't care much for built in effects or even multi effects boards, so this amp was not even really on my radar. Well after playing one today I can say that has changed.

The built in amp models are pretty amazing and the tone, depth and clarity of the two 6" speakers was impressive to say the least. Dialing through the models was very cool, want clean dial up a twin, want dirt dial up a brownface deluxe, want thrash dial up metal 2000, and so on. The effects were pretty cool too, you have the option of adding them in front of the amp or after (think effects loop) you can use stomp box models and tweak there settings individually. I tried the green box (tube screamer) and it was pretty cool. I wish I had more time to play it but I can say this amp would be a great bedroom amp or for a newbie something to learn on and have a whole line up at your finger tips. They had the 2 bigger ones, I didn't try them, but given the tone and volume from the smaller one I would assume these are completely gig worthy especially with the 4 button foot switch.

I am not sure how much the Wi-Fi helps except for ease of updates, but the blue tooth function is cool. You can control effects knobs, patches, models, pretty much everything from your phone. You also can use it as a blue tooth speaker, or run backing tracks and play over them. Pretty amazing to an old tube junkie like me.

The only negative I would say is that the guitars seem to lose their personality in the software. My Tele sounded very Tele on the Fender patches, move to metal 2000 and you would think I was on a Jackson or a Dean. There was not a huge difference between my Tele and a Strat, so no need to worry about cork sniffing pups. We did plug in a pointy humbucker axe and there was some difference, but not what you would experience on a tube rig, at least not in my opinion. There was also a complete lack of hiss.

I will say that this is the best sounding modeling amp I have played through and just the Fender preset models alone would be enough to peak my interest. I give it a 8 out of 10 (and that is only because half of my guitars would become redundant)

12. roncg41677

roncg41677 New Member

Mar 14, 2016
    I got to play one at GC a bit ago and liked the sound, although on the low-volume noodling I did the sounds weren't any better to my ears than my MIII V1. I did get a chuckle that the presets it boots up to are all of the "Basic" sounds without effects. I know the old series got a lot of flack for booting up to presets that had a lot of effects.

That said, it gave me a good chance to get a feel for the models. I'm a high gain lover, and those models, as I said didn't differ too much with the old Mustang.

After playing on that I tried a Line 6 Spider V for the first time also. If I had the money I'd probably buy the Line 6, but that's just me.

I'll need to research the features. I love that more modeling amps allow you to stream via Bluetooth, but I don't know what the WiFi is for?

13. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Wifi is for updating the firmware without a separate device, it can also be used for downloading presets from the Fender community without using the tone app (or a computer).

Just a reminder for everyone; you may remember that your speakers needed a break in (like when you got your original Mustang), so what you're hearing in the store, probably isn't what you'll be hearing at home after breaking in the speaker.

On different guitars: I find a very big difference betwee guitars on my M3, but like any amp... It has to be tweaked to the guitar you are using, which is why many of my presets have the same name followed by a letter for the type of guitar tweet for that setting (Dan '65 T, or Dan '65 S).

One feature of the new Mustangs that is long overdue is "Setlist", this lets you name your presets in the same order as your set list for a performance, multiple set lists can be created and stored on the device, and the phone app.
    This was one of the reasons that Remuda was created for android (to give easy re-ordering to the presets, instead of having to load each one in order one by one in Fuse).

jeffbeck, kenneth, eaglesgift and 3 others like this.
  14. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY

If this is already up I apologize......... ten minutes !

15. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Funny, but that was my final response as well.

I much prefer the interface on the GT. And I bet its models are even better than those on the G-DEC. But the main thing that makes me love the G-DEC so is that it takes a micro card with backing tracks -- the same tracks as I use on my main system, there via a JamMan pedal plugged into the voice system -- and those can be controlled (tracks chosen plus start and stop) via the amp's 4-button pedal.

Even more cool is that each track is connected to a preset that includes the specific amp type, setting and effects that I have chosen for that song.

When I saw the otherwise SO desirable GT I was excited. But the loss of the capability is to large to ignore.

-don

Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016
    Agree. I wonder why this function just died with the G-Dec 3. Also the G-Dec 3 does have that limited ability to record a passage too.

17. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I expect that it was a market failure. The amp initially wasn't cheap -- especially considering that it is really only good for bedroom levels. And the menu-driven interface, frankly, sucks.

But the *capabilities* are its saving grace. It is, once the desired settings have been found and saved, a user's delight. Set and forget. (Just what I at least need with menu-driven devices.)

-don

18. woolbrig

woolbrig Squier-holic

Apr 16, 2010
    Bethalto, IL
    My G-Dec 3 Thirty died a couple of years ago so I got a Mustang I to get me by, but for what ever reason, I've never been happy with it's sound. Looks like the GT-40 may be in my future!

19. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Hey! Good news MS-4/ULT-4 four button switch owners: Your switch will OFFICIALLY work with the GT series mustangs as the new MGT-4 does, it's just not labeled right... but Fender will send you a magnetic overlay when they get enough made... until then, you can print one out from the PDF:

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...footswitch-work-with-my-Mustang-GT-amplifier-

The EXP-1 also works with it, but that ones actually IN the manual.

20. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Excellent!

I was wondering just that. :)

-don