Musicians who were forgotten/never given the exposure they deserved

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Leo Jazzmaster, May 6, 2021.

1. lboorse2

lboorse2 Squier-holic

Dec 29, 2010
    Philly 'Burbs
    Hi all. Long time member, but for the past 7 years or so, just an occasional lurker…

I had to log in just to say, as someone who had that dream (and maybe still have it)… This thread is amazing!!!

2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    He was an amazing guitarist. Deep Purple fame too. But he wrote beautiful songs too. I really like this one from when he was with the James Gang...

grizzlewulf and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  3. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Nut

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    :):):)

ancient likes this.
  4. ancient

ancient Squier Talker

Sep 12, 2020
    New Zealand
    Oh yeah..there are so,so many good blues players long gone but wow they linger in the back of ones head...twang,twang,hammer on ,hammer off,,bends to breaking point.....aint the blues just the gears.
    Oh and aint Squire,s just the nuts oh yeah.

Leo Jazzmaster likes this.
  5. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    When it comes to the forgotten or those that never got the exposure they deserved... I always return to Betty Davis... A few years after she divorced from Miles Davis she put out a few records... And she was friends with really good musicians and singers... So for example she would spit out some jams and the bass player would be Larry Graham from Sly and Family Stone. And his drummer Gregg Errico would be on the sticks... Then you would have like Neal Shon on guitar from Santana... Need some backup singers? I guess the Pointer Sisters will have to do... Betty Davis was tearing it up... But ya almost never hear about her or it in 2021... Lost to history with some killer jams she took along with her... For example...

6. jefffed

jefffed Squier Talker

Dec 6, 2020
    PA
    Any room for unknown Jazz? Jeff Golub died in 2015 and was forgotten. Played with Rod Stewart for awhile then went on his own. This guy hypnotizes me. Not complicated but...

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  7. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Not necessarily forgotten, but this artist certainly is not as widely known as he should be given how great his performances are.

Robert Randolph is a pedal steel player who grew up playing the "Sacred Steel" style in church. I saw him play live a few times and it was electrifying! He does things I've never heard before on a pedal steel.

8. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Now that is some good funk. A lot of those early 70s artists got overshadowed by the disco craze (a shame in my opinion). I was not all that familiar with this, so thanks for sharing!

9. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    B.T. Express seemed to good to be classified as disco. They had that multi-voice thing going on like Sly and the Family Stone or The Four Tops, and some grooves for days.

Uncle Joe likes this.
  10. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Afrika61 and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  11. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Yup, that's Paul Reynolds then and now.
    He and The Edge set the tone for the '80s but I bet that most here have never heard Reynolds name mentioned.

12. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    I read something about him a couple years ago. He really was just a kid then, and from what I remember, left the band early because touring was so tough on him...

13. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Yeah, he was actually 17 when the band really hit it big and he later said that he couldn't handle touring and the music industry.

14. Believer89

Believer89 Squier Talker

May 11, 2021
    United States
    Michael Burks, Jeff Healey, Walter Trout etc etc

15. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Jeff Healey was awesome. "Angel Eyes" was a great song!

Believer89 likes this.
  16. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Yea, she was a legend when it comes to the funky stuff... Never hurts to have like the bass player and drummer from Sly And The Family Stone tho when ur lookin to get funky... Almost every song she did was a winner... If ur like a person who grew up loving people like Jimi and Zappa and etc and the progressive rock bands like Rush, Yes and etc and etc... You are usually gonna really like Betty Davis songs... Im one of those people. So I like Betty Davis songs... The band just awesome and the singers were killer. So its hard not to like them... Check this one out...

17. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Love it! Thanks for turning me on to this.

18. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    No prob... Sometimes I almost feel a need to spread the word for some odd reason. To me its almost like a crime as far as how good her stuff was and the level of "fame" she gained in comparison... A lot of people of people have never even heard the stuff or know who she is... But its like on the level of the stuff put out by the all time great types as far as the playing and vocals and etc... Its not easy to like jump up on the stage after Zeppelin, James Brown and Pink Floyd just walked off... But she could pull it off...

I guess ill throw down one more jam just because someone needs to be talking about her... Its only right... Check out the smooth flow and groove on the opening half of this jam... Then in the 2nd half the background singers pick it up and go nuts... Yes please... Ill have another....

19. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Here's one of my favorite songs, a folkie tune by Greg Brown called "Your Town Now."

I've often wondered why his songs haven't been covered a lot more. I love his Cash-esque gruff vocals and simple arrangements. His lyrics are incredible, though. He has a way of capturing the personal and making it universal in a really poetic way that I admire and dig.

I used to go out quite a lot,
    Chase to chase and shot to shot.
    I'm all done with that somehow,
    And it's your town now.

These days the mighty eagle sings,
    Of money and material things,
    And the almighty Dow,
    And it's your town now,
    Your town now,
    It's-

From the mountains to the plains
    All the towns are wrapped in chains,