Musically locking tuners. Reg vs pro?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Powerstroke, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Year Zero likes this.
  2. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I just bought a set of pro lockers for $25. I'm a tuner snob and they meet my standards.

Musiclily Pro 6 inline Vintage Hybrid Style Guitar Locking Tuners Tuning Pegs Keys Machine Heads Set for Squier Classic Vibe Strat/Tele Electric Guitar, Nickel with Oval Button https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0912F9XZ3/?tag=squiertalk-20

Powerstroke likes this.
  3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    They are both just O.K…. The knobs on the pros are flat, and knurled better, mechanically the same otherwise.

They work as advertised, but I’ve had to lubricate the parts to get the locking mechanism to operate smoothly (in one case, had to take a couple apart and remove flashing (excess metal) on the sleeves.

I’d much rather have their split shaft tuners for $16.

Just so you know, you can take an Amazon listing to GC, and they will match the price (they used to go 5% below, but they dropped it a few years back). So the Fender Deluxe locking tuners that are $70 on GC’s site, can be had for $48 like on Amazon just by walking in and showing them your phone.

Robb and Powerstroke like this.
  4. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

Jan 12, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA USA

The Pro tuners at least have the mfr's marking cast into the bottom of the tuner base for identification. The cheap ones are plain in that place, almost as if they are knockoffs of the Pro ones, and not able to be linked to a mfr. They could actually be the exact same product, with the unmarked ones intended to be budget priced. Maybe get a pair of each to compare and then you could always return either.

Robb likes this.
  5. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I saw that too. I ordered the pro ones. Based on reviews. Looks like some dont lock the string.

6. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Wow. I didn't know that! Wow. Those are my favorites but I'm trying to used the holes already drilled . Hopefully these line up

Robb and radiotech like this.
  7. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Anyone know the ratio of most squier and Starcasters tuners?
    These are 15:1
    I couldn't find the 19:1 that some people have for cheap. But they used to be cheap. Now they are almost $40

Robb likes this.
  8. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Should I just cancel these. I see alot of complaints. I think I can still cancel just the tuners

9. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I would rather drill and install fenders for $50 so I canceled my order

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    The stock tuners in my two Squiers are/were 14:1.

11. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Are any ever better than 14?

12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I don't know, but if they turn smoothly, a 14:1 ratio gets the job done.

drewcp likes this.
  13. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Yeah. Most of mine are ok

14. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier-Meister

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I'm using them now on 3 of my guitars and love them. Music lily gear is getting better.

15. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    About a year ago I bought one of these, which makes installing Fender locking tuners a snap (they also work for Shaller, and Squier pinned tuners). Yes, it cost as much as set of Fender Locking tuners, but makes installation a snap. It was on sale then, and eBay had a 15% off day as well, I got my for $30.
    upload_2021-9-18_9-16-18.png

silverring233 likes this.