Music and Movies -- Do you only stream or purchase?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Sep 21, 2020.

1. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    I did that just recently with Brokenwood. Most of the series I bought in the past were either garage sale finds or heavily discounted, but Brokenwood was way more expensive for region 1 DVD's. The region free player I picked up was only about $31, and now I have 6 seasons on region 2 DVD's.

duceditor likes this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yup! Great!

Our first bought that way was the complete Inspector Morse. Then some $300 in region 1, we paid I think, about $60. Bought many since, including the entire French Maigret series. Again, for a song.

-don

3. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't do either. I have this thing called "Cable TV" that allows me to watch a classic film on TCM, or a stupid sitcom that I like, or classic shows from the 50s and 60s, or a bad murder mystery on Hallmark, or nature, science, and even music, all available in real time, depending on my mood at the time. Some people may find it too expensive, but it's worth it to me to have hundreds of channels covering every possible sort of programming, and I can even watch a show I've missed on demand for no extra charge.
    I also like the fact that I don't have to plan my watching, I can just scroll thru the channel guide to see what's on, and then decide.
    The only DVDs that I buy are live concert ones, and I have a pretty good sized CD collection and a decent audio system.

Uncle Joe likes this.
  4. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    I have at&t uverse which gives me the ability to dvr anything and keep it forever. Anything from very old shows from the fifties to the latest movies. I am a fan of the late 20’s to early 30’s movies. I also have numerous dvd’s of movies that I like and just purchased the complete “Thin Man” series (William Powell/Myrna Loy). Also a fan of scifi, 40’s war movies, western’s, etc.

Music is both CD and on my iPad. Books are both real and on Kindle on my iPad. Since I spend quite a bit of time away from home, I have to be able to take it with me. I can watch the uverse live on my iPad from anywhere. Supposedly, very soon I should be able to watch the dvr shows as well.

5. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    I was big into collecting physical media, but after moving from one country to another, filling the space in the apartment I rent and noticing how much cleaning and caring is needed to keep all the stuff in good shape, I've been adopting the digital goods more and more.

I also have thought that having something tangible that "lasts" is the way to go, but at the end does it really matters? Sorry there, I didn't want to go full nihilistic, lol

Having a big movie collection would be cool, though. There are some gems out there that aren't available on the legal digital services, or even in most international markets of physical releases. I've been looking forever for a Bluray copy of my favorite movie, Cinema Paradiso, and I can't find it around here. While writing this I just read that they are planning to release a 4K version, I might track that one down.

6. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    I still buy phyiscal DVDs, that way I can lend stuff to family members, the drawback is that sometimes things don't come back, have the two series of the Danish black comedy Riget missing now, it's what Kingdom Hospital was based on. I've recently moved my dvds to my mums, bought a container to store them in, relatives are welcome to browse and borrow but I was going to add a piece of paper and pen so people could list what they have taken, seems fair.

I'm on a dating site and a few weeks ago looked at a womans profile, she was in my age range, mid century, and to paraphrase she said "if you still buy or have DVDs do not contact me as you are in the past and will bore me."

Re streaming, going back fifteen years I was on another music board and I was a fogey, the majority of the members were late teens, early 20's. A conversation sprang up on the board once re whether people used an ISP and as far as I remember a maximum of about 10% of the youngsters did, they all hacked into a neighbors wireless connection for their internet. Same with music, a lot of them had pretty serious music collections but hadn't spent a penny acquiring it, it was all from download sites and had been acquired in a short space of time.

7. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

I purchase CDs and rent or stream movies.

8. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I stream movies. I think I own 3 physical copies of movies. Spaceballs, Good Cop Bon Cop, and Mozarts, the magic flute.
    Music, I tend to rip from youtube then if I find I really enjoy the music I'll go and buy the lossless version from bandcamp.
    I looked at google music and amazon music and just wasn't interested. I work in IT and seriously, if I can't figure it out in 2 minutes or have to google how to make your services work. I'm out. I have no patience for tech that requires a 10 step set up. My Phone is my media centre. I stream from my phone to my upstairs stereo, guitar amp, and downstairs stereo via a bluetooth adapter I had to buy separately.

9. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    At the music store where I worked, one guy would have a fit if someone dared to steal his intellectual property, but he had no problem downloading any movie illegally. He was a very nice guy and super smart, and wasn't that young. Hypocrisy knows no boundaries. It comes in every age, gender, income, education, and ethnicity, without exception.

10. oldfartatplay1320

oldfartatplay1320 Squier Talker

Oct 25, 2016
    Gatineau, Quebec
    I'm a dinosaur who still loves taping, and I'm not giving up my various types of recorded music. I have cassette, vinyl, and reel-to-reel. I go to sleep listening to a cassette, and I play one while I'm getting my head together in the AM. I don't know what streaming is. I play a lot of music on YouTube, though. And tape a lot of it, too. My computer feeds its sound through a Nikko 10 band graphic equaliser into a Sherwood stereo receiver, and thence into a GeneXXa cassette deck, as well as 4 speaker cabinets with 12" woofers and smaller speakers as provided. I can't tell the difference between digital and analogue, anyway, after decades of loud music. And I have many tape decks which I rotate to keep the belts supple. Next one up is a Harmon Kardon TD 192.

11. TampaMark

TampaMark Squier Talker

Jul 12, 2019
    Tampa
    I get CDs and DCDs from the library and rip them to my hard disc and listen or view them at me pleasure. I get the best of both worlds and I can clear off anything I do not view or like to hear and get more new stuff that comes out. I had all of Game of Thrones and cleared all that off for the Blacklist and am reviewing it for the second time.

12. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    EF171E0A-C37A-4AD4-B1EB-28F8AE774942.jpeg
    From my off the grid cabin via dvd.

13. Ken Rose

Ken Rose Squier-holic

Sep 23, 2010
    Northern California
    Both. I do prefer to read your posts as Frasier Crane, though.

14. GustangMcstang

GustangMcstang Squier Talker

Nov 9, 2018
    London UK
    Generally speaking, I stream music. If I'm doing anything around the house/garden and I want to hear something I can absent-mindedly sing along with, it's Spotify every time.
    But if I want to sit down and actually listen properly & commune with the music, it's got to be vinyl.
    I don't have a great system and most of my LP's are in a pretty worn state but the physicality of the medium means that I really connect with the music and I can pay attention to it & not get distracted.
    On long car journeys I exclusively listen to podcasts these days.