Motivation needed....

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by JurnyWannaBe, Sep 20, 2020.

1. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    I could really use a good kick in the pants. I picked up a set of Tex-Mex pups recently. My intent was to put them in this guitar......
    IMG_5689[1].JPG

And take the Toneriders that's in it and put them in my White Rhino....
    IMG_5690[1].JPG

My intent is for the natural finished one to be a "Blues" guitar and the white SE to be more "Stratty". To be honest, I really don't have much motivation to get started on the swap out. I was contemplating just putting the Tex-Mex's in the SE and be done with it. However, I know I won't be happy with either guitar til I get the "right" pups in the "right" guitar o_O:mad:
    I need a kickstart pretty bad :(

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  2. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Get up! Yes, I said get up and get that soldering iron hot!

[​IMG]

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I am pretty much in the same boat. I have a great looking Capri Orange partscaster that is HHH and has a wiring issue but I have no desire to dig into it.
    I also have a Tele that needs set up but again, no desire to do so...:(

dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  4. JurnyWannaBe

Feb 14, 2019

5. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    Is the lack of motivation due to fear of messing up or are there are actual reasons?

I'm waiting on a set of P90's to install on one of my Epi LP's but I still haven't made a decision which one to do it on. Once I decide, the reason it will take me a while is due to time constraints!

dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  6. JurnyWannaBe

Feb 14, 2019
  7. JurnyWannaBe

Feb 14, 2019
    I'm think I'm just dealing with some burnout. This year has been totally off the chart crazy.

8. Stratlover84

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    I think we can all agree on that!!

9. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    How about not tackling it all at once. Go ahead and swap the pickups and controls to the gaurd for the SE. Then set a date when you know you will have time to build the Tex Mex gaurd. I find that if I set aside an hour or two for working on something I don't put it off as easily. And if I don't try to do more than one project at a time it doesn't seem as daunting a task. This is a hobby after all and it shouldn't feel too much like work. That can take the fun right out of it.

Shine, Eddd, JurnyWannaBe and 2 others like this.
  10. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I agree with @ToneChaser77 . Just pick one of the two guitars to finish. The other one can get done sometime down the road. Once you figure out which one you are more excited about, get it on the workbench, pop the top on a cold beer (or whatever beverage you enjoy), put some Journey on the radio to put you in a good mood, and enjoy the evening working on one of your toys!

ToneChaser77, Shine and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  11. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Drink 1/2 bottle of Whisky or Vodka and change the thing

ToneChaser77, Shine and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  12. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I feel your pain. Part of my procrastination is soldering iron caution(well founded). I've lost concentration before and nearly had a very serious burn on my fretting hand. Some of it is just laziness on my part but caution is a major part. Besides injury, causing something flamable to ignite, causing a fire.

Having two that need work has you in a quandary, try haing more than a dozen. I have all the parts, it's just the soldering that needs doing. argh! My late wife did much of my soldering, as she used to do it for a living. All mine are gorilla solders. Mostly electrically sound (switches are my nemesis), but FUGLY!

13. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Currently nursing a burned knuckle on my right hand from pickup install on my resonator...procrastinating BIG TIME on a full Strat harness for me and a piezo install on my wife's dulcimer, so I can fully appreciate! Sometimes I feel like: "Put your hand in the box, young Paul Atreides....fear is the mind killer". If you are a DUNE fan youknow what I mean! Solder Iron = Gom Jabbar!

upload_2020-9-20_22-38-3.jpeg

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  14. JurnyWannaBe

Feb 14, 2019
    Awesome analogy ... plus , I'm pretty pumped about the remake. That's a flick I'm looking forward to :)

15. JurnyWannaBe

Feb 14, 2019
    Don't worry too much about the fugly ... They're all perfect once you put the PG on it ;)

jefffam likes this.
  16. Shine

Shine Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    I'm in a similar boat. I have a bunch of guitar projects that need just a little something or other to be "complete." But time is an issue for me as well as I teach community college and classes are either Zoomed or fully online, which is waaaay more time consuming than one would expect.

I agree with these suggestions. Having one doable goal and carving out a set time for your hobby will make it more approachable. The completed project will be the reward and may inspire you take on the next one.

You got this!

17. StormCaster

StormCaster Squier Talker

Sep 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I got about 20 projects I need to do but I'm so exhausted from this year I'm just pushing everything off. Maybe next year ill start. Take small steps and you will get there eventually. Best wishes

Shine and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  18. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Sorry, I have no good advice. I am waiting to procrastinate.

Shine and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  19. Stratlover84

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    Happy Monday everyone!

I think I blame the internet for our general procrastination. I find as the years go by (and I get busier), a lot of my "guitar enjoyment" comes from reading on this forum and watching youtube videos (Wildwood, Troglys, Darrell Braun etc.).

Sometimes I realize this while I'm watching a random video or reading a post on ST "I could/should be playing my actual guitars right now"..... a strange phenomenon but I totally recognize this is at play a lot of times!

Shine, JurnyWannaBe and Eddd like this.