Most common mods

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by BadAm, Oct 14, 2021.

1. BadAm

BadAm Squier Talker

Oct 14, 2021
    Planit Erf
    So you bought a squier strat/tele.

What are the most common mods you see people do and where do I source good parts in Europe?
    I am guessing trem and pickups, no?
    What about pickguards? One size fits all?
    I know GuitarFetish has those short block trem replacements but the wait is long and the customs is killing me :D

New to the forum so ...Hi everyone!!

BadAm

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Mods? None whatsoever.

I use AxesRUs in Hull, Axecaster in Essex for parts.

drewcp, Guitarmageddon and dbrian66 like this.
  3. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    From my herd of 4 electrics, I suppose the two most common mods (3/4) are swapped pickups and output jacks... LOL!

In all seriousness, not that any of the guitars needed any of those mods, given one of them had a dead pickup and so I figured I'd swap them all, another came pre-modded when I acquired it, and only the third one I've swapped as an upgrade. Then, in terms of output jacks, none were malfunctioning, either, I simply wanted them to feel tight and be reliable.

There's no definitive "must swap" answer. Some might suggest an electronics swap, but I've had guitars with the small sized Alpha pots working perfectly fine... if something isn't broken, why fixing them? That's usually the preached mindset around here: see in your particular guitar if anything is subpar/ working poorly which you'd rather swap. Even seemingly small, cheap upgrades add up and money put into mods doesn't come back, so we'd better be wise in regard to the changes and upgrades.

Here in Europe, Thomann sells spare parts for fair prices, but you gotta make a large order for it to be worth it. I usually buy my parts from a national, Portuguese retailer, called Fratermusic, perhaps they also ship internationally. Stuff such as pickguards, mounting rings, general bits and pieces, sometimes even pickups! I grab off ebay, there's brand I recommend that you can get for very cheap with satisfyingly good quality called Fleor, for the matter.

Exhead and beagle like this.
  4. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I used Thomann a lot before Brexit. Usually cheaper than buying here and faster delivery than most too. I grab stuff from Amazon too.

5. BadAm

BadAm Squier Talker

Oct 14, 2021
    Planit Erf
    What about pickguards? One size fits all?
    Also when you buy a Squier do you prefer thinner or thicker bodies?

Just a sidenote:

I have an 2000's danoblaster Danelectro. Best neck Ive ever laid my hands on. Body made of somekind of particle board. Very light. I put in Lace Sensor Golds in it and the only thing I would change is the saddles.Altho the zinc ones do sound kinda mellow. It is a cheap guitar but whenever I compare it to a guitar worth x times as much I just cannot justify the price difference. So I am thinking maybe this is the route to go. I mean the last guitar that impressed me, but really really impressed me was a Gibson LP CS 56 worth 5600eur. I mean I cannot justify paying that much money even if i had it. Everything else feels kinda the same. I mean wood is wood . Either it resonates or it don't. No?
    Yesterday I found an 2004 Squier strat and it also has a great feeling neck. Something I rarely find in today's mid to high priced fenders. It needs a new pickguard as far as I can tell.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Exhead likes this.
  6. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Depends on the Squier what you need. That is why the SE & Standards are more sought after based on full size body and being able to drop parts in with no extra screw holes and trem blocks fitting in correctly.

Tuners - Have to know the tuner hole size, and pattern, ask here on the forums before you buy. Links will be provided.
    Pickguard - 8 hole and 11 hole, not one size fits all for Squiers.
    Pickups - Need to know your body routing pattern and depth and/or width of pickups in question ( especially for active pickups and P90's)
    String Trees - Some replce them some dont, some file the edges, some lubricate.
    Trem Block - Need to ask here depending on the Squier you are modding some blocks are too long and will protrude from back of guitar.
    Strap Locks - One size fits all, some strap modification may be needed, cheap ones may result in a busted guitar

Oh also ask here before you buy parts, someone may have it and sell you something for cheaper or give it to you and ship it for nothing! The expectation is to pay it forward if you can at some future date. There are a great group of people here, diverse in thought, but always willing to help.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    fleezinator likes this.
  7. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    I had a Danoblaster Innuendo with all original electronics, quite the guitar and the electronics where like a Dagwood sandwich based on all the on board effects. Is that the kind you have? I can't see anyone changing out the sandwich circuit board on one of these unless it was FUBAR. I sold it for twice what I paid so I was happy.

IMG_8468.JPG Danelectro Inuendo Controls.jpg

This was what was inside the control area....

Danelectro Danoblaster Distortion board.jpg

grizzlewulf likes this.
  8. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    Thicker, guess I'm used to it. Never really owned a thin size one so when I take it, feels strange to me. Also, replacing some parts comes easier if you have full thickness body AFAIK.

Exhead likes this.
  9. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I can think of two specific mods that (IMHO) should be standard on Strats/Teles
    • Strat - Blender mod or switch mod to give you neck/bridge combo
    • Tele - 4-way switch giving you additional "in series" combination of neck/bridge (LOVE that tone on Tele's)

fleezinator, Mr Bob and Exhead like this.
  10. BadAm

BadAm Squier Talker

Oct 14, 2021
    Planit Erf
    yeah similar one. I ripped out the fuzzwah overdrive.

Exhead likes this.
  11. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-holic

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Agree with those.

Also strap locks are something I add on asap - have done ever since a heart-stopping moment when I had my Les Paul slip off its strap many years ago... luckily managed to catch it, but immediately got some strap locks.

Other straight-away mods on a strat would be to put a jump wire on the switch to share the second tone control between mid and the bridge pup.

From there, it depends on the plan for the project...

Exhead likes this.
  12. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    New strings and setup, then maybe play with pickup height.

Exhead likes this.
  13. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Tuners is my only real mod. Sometimes a pickup change too.

Exhead likes this.
  14. BadAm

BadAm Squier Talker

Oct 14, 2021
    Planit Erf
    been to a friend's today. he has a lot o guitars. 59CS burst 58CS and so on. The one I liked the best was a partscaster tele with an allparts neck and some cheap strat knockoff. the 58was nice but...was so different then the 59. Almost night and day difference in resonance. For that amount of money you d expect them to both be great, no?!
    I guess it all comes down to resonance of the wood, no?