Monterey!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DougMen, Jan 16, 2021.

1. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I came across this on YouTube, a lot of the performances from Monterey that were cut out of the film. The Association, Simon and Garfunkel, Country Joe's Barry Melton and Quicksilver's John Cippolina with their Bigsby equipped SGs, Al Kooper, the Electric Flag with Mike Bloomfield, Paul Butterfield, the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Laura Nyro, the Airplane, Big Brother, the Who, and the Mamas and Papas. Great stuff!

2. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-Nut

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Yesterday I was just watching BB+HC's "Ball and Chain" from Monterey. Janis doing what only she can do, of course, but also, that dude on lead guitar had some flamethrower fuzz tones on that jam. Great stuff.

vlxerdon, speelyei and DougMen like this.
  3. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Nice thanks for posting this.

vlxerdon likes this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The backline looked like a Fender ad! All those beautiful Blackface Dual Showmans!

vlxerdon, grizzlewulf and fadetoz like this.
  5. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I'm a big fan of Fender amps. I have my silver face Champ and LOVE it. Then I have the Blues JR and the USA made Blues Deluxe. All awesome amps. I put a Celestion 8 in the Champ and it helps the lows. The Blues Deluxe got a Celestion type A. The Blues JR has the Jensen stock in it. I would like to get a Princeton though too.

vlxerdon likes this.
  6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks for posting this. I skimmed through most acts but couldn't skip Tiny Tim. For some reason I was transfixed by that performance at the tail end of the video.

grizzlewulf and VealCutlet like this.
  7. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I've been thinking about Tiny Tim all night and this morning while food shopping (I've mentioned before that I'm pretty sure I need some help in the mental counseling department) and I don't know exactly what it is. When I was a kid I went after my dreams and (with the help of a great mentor) worked all the way up to programming a number one radio station by focusing on "Solid Gold" music format with two excellent local reporters (one of whom is now nationally famous) and, believe it or not, coverage and interviews with the Devils and Rangers hockey teams. Strange niche of programming. It worked. We were in the suburbs but beat all of the stations that came into our listening area. That included the New York City stations. I took my newfound success and handful of industry awards and quit. Went into sales to make money. I was twenty five.

I mention this because of Tiny Tim. Shortly after meeting him, I mean within a matter of days, I quit my job, proposed to my girlfriend, and began selling. When I got married a couple of years later and bought a house, I got rid of all of the paraphernalia that I collected in my early years. I had lots of photos and autographs from some famous folks in music, hockey and even baseball that I had interviewed either at their venue or when they visited our station for an invterview. I kept one autographed photo. Really. Only one. Still have it. It just seems to make sense of the whole big picture.

TinyTimCircus.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  8. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    Cheap Thrills is an awesome album. “Combination of the Two” and “Need a Man” are just excellent.

DougMen, grizzlewulf and vlxerdon like this.