Monoprice

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by fadetoz, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016
    I just found out something I didn't know about the reverb on the Laney 12R, which many here say serves as the basis for the Monoprice 15-watter.

The Laney 12R has a digital reverb. I didn't know that. I assumed it had a spring reverb as in the Monoprice unit. So even if the Monoprice has a junky reverb (which some here say has been upgraded) it is still a junky spring reverb ... .

I've read some of the newer reviews over at Monoprice and some buyers say they got the newer reverb and seem happy while others, at about the same time, seem to be saying they have the units with the tiny reverb. I'm guessing Monoprice is selling both models at the same time? So we as buyers won't know which unit we will be getting it until we open the package?

I really like spring reverb. My Bugera V22 has a serviceable digital reverb but it is not the same thing. I've been thinking about getting a good reverb pedal that has a better spring reverb sound ... but I admit I wouldn't mind getting the 15-watter IF it came with the larger reverb unit. I wonder if there is any way I could contact Monoprice to request getting a newer model.

fadetoz and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. MOD-VM70

MOD-VM70 Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2016
    Florida
    The main reason to get the 15 over the 5 (other than power) is the 15 has much better tone controls.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    That's one of the reasons to get the bigger one - more options is another but the 15 needs mod's for people to love it - the 5 is pretty good stock for what it is. I want them both ! lol

4. surf green

surf green Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    A friend just received a Mono15 and it has the original small blue plastic reverb that is common to the amp. He paid $179 plus $23 shipping.

5. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    The California Tone Research Set 5 also offers a cheap five that has tone controls.
    Once you get used to it, it sounds pretty good. Running a pre-amp, the Set Five will light up a 412 cabinet.

6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016
    That's exactly my point. Would you get the "good" Mono15 (newer reverb) or the "sort of bad" Mono15 (tiny reverb) ... and is there any way to find out beforehand.

I may try sending an email or something to Mono.

fadetoz likes this.
  7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016
    Me again. I just sent an email to Mono tech support asking (1) is there a redesigned, larger spring reverb tank in some of the amps and (2) if so, is there some way a customer can be assured the amp shipped will have the larger tank?

I will report back what response (if any) I get.

8. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Cool. Thanks. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

9. surf green

surf green Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Mono 15 is $159.99 + ship today. In the description they now list the speaker as a Celestion 12" Red Truvox (not the 70/80), nothing mentioned on the spring reverb. I can't see them going any lower, but they've been dropping faster than the associates of Whitey Bulger.

mb doug and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Or you could get the 5W tube amp plus add a tiny item to get it over $100 and get 20% off the complete order. That would make this amp about $80 plus shipping. Can't beat that for a tube amp. Used code SPLURGE on check-out.

Shipping was $20 to me here in VA and $25 to my office in California, since tax as added to the total.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611705

The 15W amp shows a sale price, so I don't think the SPLURGE code is going to work with that one.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    mb doug and surf green like this.
  11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016
    Btw, folks, it has been more than a day since I sent that email to Monoprice and no answer. I think they are closed on weekends so I don't know what's up ... or what the answer is about the reverb on the 15-watter.

12. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Why not call them? It's only 2pm in Calif. Then you can get a sense for the level of knowledge of whomever you speak to about the reverb unit.

13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016
    Actually it does work so now $139.99 before shipping and handling.

Btw, I guess Mono has more or less really dropped the prices on these two amps. The 15-watter used to $226.99 when they first came out in 2015 I think and the 5-watter was about $125 or maybe it dropped to $112.49 or so. Now the "set" prices are $159.99 and $99 for the units. The 5-watter at $99 does not show a "sale" listing.

14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016
    Well first I tried calling and was put on hold for several minutes. I'm on a minute plan so I gave up after several minutes. Then I tried using the "Chat" form. Apparently if you move to another webpage the "chat" function closes out. So on the third attempt I asked my question and waited ... and was told no agents were available.

So I really don't know how to contact Mono. Why have a "chat" service that is being operated within the normal business hours and then being told they don't have anybody to help you.

Maybe somebody else with unlimited minutes can try calling.

15. ultra80096

ultra80096 Squier Talker

Jan 25, 2015
    Iowa
    My second 15 watter arrived Friday. It has the updated steel tank reverb in it vs the plastic cheapo in my first. Not the best reverb I've heard, but heads & tails above the plastic tank. Not accutronics, but TPSB or something like that. Tank code is TPSB2eb2e1a.

Here's my take on the 15 vs the 5 watt. 12" speaker, Better tone controls, & they do work nicely, even a tone control for the output section, plus it has a <1 watt input also that still sounds nice. It's what I use for my house playing.

Also, speaking for Monoprice's customer service, on my first amp, for some reason the shipping was delayed. I clicked on the online chat button, immediately Wendy replied, I asked the reason for the delay, & her first reply was to appologize & refund my shipping charges. The second chat I had, again with Wendy, lol, was to comment to her about the poor gluing of the tolex seams, (all were coming loose) again she responded with an offer of $20 off of the price, so my experience was very positive without having to beg, kick & scream for some compensation, YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    mb doug and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  16. surf green

surf green Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Ultra, What speaker did you get, 70/80 or new Red Truvox? If the Red, what is the difference?

17. ultra80096

ultra80096 Squier Talker

Jan 25, 2015
    Iowa
    It is the 70/80 in both amps. The outer box packaging on both says the Red Truvox, but not true. Wondering if the originally had that & changed to these? Seems I read that on another forum.. It's not a bad speaker, but I have an Emenince Red,White & Blues I want to try, & also a 16 ohm Legend 1258 in one of my Silkyn 50.

Even with the 70/80 in them, I a/b'ed it against a Blues Jr with a C-Rex, (seems like the Jr fans always put that in), & also after doing the Frommel mods(BillM copy) to the Jr. Before the Jr mods, the MP15 had way better bass response than the JR, & after, it's close. I still like the MP for overall sound though.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    surf green likes this.
  18. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016

To be fair to Monoprice, last year when I called customer service asking for a return on the defective 5-watt amp I received I got connected quickly and the rep courteously issued me a return authorization and either mailed or emailed me the return UPS form.

I will try again tomorrow through the chat service.

It is good to know that some customers are receiving the 15-watters with the larger reverb tank. As for the Red Truvox speaker I can't find out very much about it online at all.

19. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    15% off with "FUNDAY" coupon code today, almost covers the very hefty $27 shipping cost.

20. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2016
    Yes, Mono has sales and coupons very, very often. It just had a 20 percent off code. However, many last just for the day. Often you can combine the discount on a sale item but it varies.

Last year Mono was offering free shipping on the 5-watter because the one I ordered I got for $92.49 because of a promotion and free shipping. I think the reg price was $112.49 and the promotion was $20 off anything more than $100.

I haven't seen the free shipping on the 5-watter, however, for a long time.