Monoprice

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by fadetoz, Feb 4, 2016.

1. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I know some of you were talking about these awhile back.
    I'm just curious if anyone has purchased the 5w one? I don't really care for the covering but it looks like it is similar to a Fender Champ style. I'd like a small tube amp like the old Champ amps. Wonder how this would sound with a Weber 8s in it. Opinions welcome?
    Was just curious about these because they are $112 and I'd like a champ one of these days.
    [​IMG]

2. instagvl

instagvl Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2014
    Gainesville, FL
    Highly interested as well... Also, anyone ever get one of the 15s?

3. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

They have 15-20% off sales on a semi-regular basis, and shipping is still free.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Seems as if one of our members got the 15 watter. Haven't seen anything posted in awhile. A handful of favorable reviews at Amazon.

5. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Consensus on the amp sites are they're made by Laney.

so1om and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Looks like a champ clone if you look at the controls and tube combo in it.
    I know it's a circuit board in there but if you even built your own clone the chassis would be like $50 bucks to start with I believe.

7. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    This could easy be my next grab and go amp.

8. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    I liked the options on the 15w but I would get a low watt amp if I got a small combo. I'm not in a band anymore. I already have a nice head with a 2x8 cab.
    So the only other amp I want now is a small grab and go combo. The 15w is a great deal and has an effects loop though.

9. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Squier-holic

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    If ur lookin for a Champ this aint gonna get the job done. Pretty much no way to fake the funk on those. Gotta have the right style of build/technology or it wont be anything like a real one...

Kickstand and fadetoz like this.
  10. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Haven't tried one of of them. I'll need to read up on them and seek one to try locally.
    I bought a great Monoprice audio system for my entertainment center. Excellent speakers and really affordable., hundreds less than compatible bigger brands.
    Have you tried a Bugera V5?
    I got one for 150 a couple years back. It's exceptional! My friends can't believe the tones I get out of it. You can find a lot of YouTube on them and they can be had used on reverb, CL, or EBay for between 100 and 150.

11. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    My thoughts are. people bought them and they're total crap and are too embarrassed to admit it. ( I doubt that). Second thought, They are the $#It and everyone wants to keep it a secret... I doubt that too so,,, I just said nothing LOL

12. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    They've been sold out a number of times, so someone is buying them.

13. jefffam

jefffam Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    I have not seen a lot of reticence from posters here about calling a lacking amp a P.O.S., garbage and so on. I think that if someone had one of the Monoprice amps, they would give a reasonably accurate review.

14. surf green

surf green Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    I bought the Mono 15w in Dec after reading the Laney connection and seeing the Laney price at $400 plus. So for around $200 I went for it, and it turned out to be a great buy. There are two weak links, the tolex is light weight and the reverb is lacking, no deep caverns or wet surf tone here. This amp probably will never leave the house so the tolex is a non-factor for me. I read that someone detached the cheap plastic reverb unit from the bottom of the amp and placed a foam tape under it for better results. I did the same and probably got a minor improvement. Although I've modded a hundred guitars, I'm not going any further with amp modding, my reverb peddles work fine on this amp. This is a solid build and perfect tuber for in home or studio play. It's peddle friendly, especially with a Mad Professor 1. The stock 12" Celestion speaker took a while to break in, but is a good match for the amp in both 1w or 15w mode. It has enough smoke to drive 2/12 speakers. I picked up an old Crate V18 for a song, switched out the twin 12's for a pair Eminence Swamp Thang's. To render the V18 into a "cab only", I used a male/female line to connect the Swamps to the Mono, and got a driving down and dirty Tony Joe White (Poke Salad Annie) tone that is killer. All in all, a keeper. DSCN0192.JPG

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Kenneth Mountain and fadetoz like this.
  15. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Seems like a great deal for the 5w and 15w. I looked online at some used Champ amps and at $250-$500 range I think I better just keep that on my list. The Champ sound is my goal so since there not all that expensive I probably shouldn't buy an amp I don't really want. I'll end up selling it and getting a Champ later anyway.
    Back on track... Not jumping on this deal.

btw: Still kicking myself for not getting the Ibanez SM9 that was on GC used for $74.00. Just wasn't good timing with Christmas. I don't think my wife would have appreciated a SM9 for Christmas.

16. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Squier-holic

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    The silverfaces in good condition seem to be goin for around 350 nowadays on Ebay. About 50 bucks more then they used to go for unfortunately. The original SM9s are down tho ever since Maxon put out the crappy Re-Issue a few years back... Gone from like 140 to 100 to grab one in nice shape... OCDs are also about to drop as well. The newest Musician Friend catalogs are now listing them at only 111.20$... So should only be a matter of time before the prices on used units see a drop as well... DM-2W analog delays also dropped from 180 to 149.99 in the latest catalogs. So those should see a drop as well in the used prices too... Always good to see good stuff going down in prices instead of up... I must of missed the memo but I thought good stuff was supposed to go the other way when they changed prices...

17. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Haha.. No kidding Rocco. Getting a SM9 and OCD are my main pedals to get. The attenuator is the other thing I need still.
    The Champ is on my list but I'll just get what I can when I can.

18. tpsltpsl

tpsltpsl New Member

Feb 15, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Mono price 15w on sale today for $159.95, no coupon needed. They also are now apparently shipping with a much improved reverb tank. I actually bought one a few weeks ago and was so impressed I bought another which I received yesterday. I was going to modify the tanks of both of them per the thread here.

However the new one has what appears to be an Accusonic tank, metal, about 9 inches long through the grating, not the plastic chiclet sized one. Yes it works great without any twang at high volumes

My 1st specimen of this amp had a bad "on" light from day one. Appears to be a bad bulb. Monoprice is paying for the return shipping of the entire amp and is sending me out a brand new one instead of just a new bulb. What service !!

Quality of both amps otherwise outstanding. Look and sound like $500+ boutique amps.

ultra80096 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  19. Ishmann

Ishmann Squier-Nut

My wife bought me one for Christmas. It's my first tube amp and I love it! I'm amazed at how loud it can get. I can easily play over my daughters drumming in the basement.

In fact, the only time I get to use it is when the wife isn't home :D

20. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I have a 5 watt thanks to @surf green ! ( Thanks Steve ) BEST thing I bought last year - bone stock currently. I think Steve liked the 5 watt so much he bought the 15 watt version and sold me his MINT 5 watt. I love it - I can see it getting better tubes down the road and people change the speakers. I'm going to keep mine stock for awhile. I have attached it to single 12's and 4 x 12's - it's powerful ! I been using it the last two days - I want a 2nd. one. I say take a chance ! ! ALSO - I have a OCD clone that I paid 22.00 for new ? can't tell the difference on YT reviews ?