Monoprice Amp Questions

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by jbrowning, Jan 10, 2020.

1. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    So I have a couple/few questions for you all.

How does the 15 watt amp compare to the little 5 watt amp Monoprice has?

With the 15 watt amp, who are using pedals and what pedals are they and what effects are you getting out of them? (I've never used any pedals)

Thanks and I'm sure I will have a lot more questions coming up this weekend.
    Jim

2. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    I have the 15 watt, and I don't use any pedals at all. It does fine without them.

Disclaimer: I don't gig, and my equipment never leaves the basement.

It is my understanding that the 5-Watt model is a different animal. It has 6L6 tubes instead of the EL84 or whatever. I'm not sure what the difference is, honestly.

I recommend you turn the knobs until it sounds good. Don't try to make it sound like a Fender, Marshall, etc. It has it's own personality. If you try to compare it to something that it's not, you might be disappointed.

3. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    From my understanding, the 5 watter is much more of a Champ-type. ( Tube differences mentioned above, plusthe tone circuitry totally different than the 15,). My MP15 definitely had it's own voice. I generally describe as a Blues Jr, AC15 hybrid ( I put an Emmenance Cannabis Rex in mine).
    On my pedals, I have a Caline Midlander, which is a TS type OD, Joyo Sweet Baby OD and Joyo American Sound which is awesome for tone shaping and let's me get into Tweed territory. All into the amp input. In the FX loop I have a Mooer chorus Ammoon delay a looper and a Behringer EQ. These give me plenty of range of sounds to satisfy me.

4. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
    The reason why I was asking about the 5 watt amp is because I can bring a amp to my work place and practice at lunch. Now I know there is no reason I would need to use the 15 watt amp at 15 watts, the 1 watt setting would be plenty loud enough. So I was wondering if the 5 watt amp would get me the same sounds as the 15 watt amp does?

ScoobySnacker likes this.
  5. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
  6. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    I have both, th 5 Rocks jus fine, more after work... :)

Highly recommend, Mr. Bones approved!

7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Note that the 15 has a master volume but the 5 does not. If you need to be really quiet, the 15 can do it better.

8. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

If I were you, I'd just get something like a Roland Micro Cube or a Line 6 Micro Spider. That way you'd have some effects that you could have at low volume. Even at the 1 watt setting you'll still be pretty loud if you want some crunch.

Angry Possum and jbrowning like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I have the 5w and it gets quite loud, loud enough to annoy my wife if she's watching Bridezillas downstairs.

My take-to-work amp is a Vox Mini3. It's small, battery powered portable and sounds good.

10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The Boss Katana Mini is very small, can run on batteries, has great clean and drive sounds, and has a great sounding delay built in. It, along with the Fender Mustang LT25 and Yamaha THR10C, has become my favorite amp for low volume playing with great tone and tube like feel. And I believe the 5 watter uses a single 6V6 power tube, not a 6L6.

11. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    I have the 15 Watt. I use pedals with it, OD, Distortion, Fuzz in front and modulation, delay in the loop.
    It also sounds pretty good on its own, very good clean sound. The crunch tone is also very good.
    IMO it's a very good amp for Classic Rock and Blues. The mono 15 Watt is a clone of the Laney Cub 12R.

12. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    This is absolutely so...^
    Do please note that th 5w also has a 1w attenuator, as well...

All but 2 of my YT vidjas I've posted used my MP5, cept fer th one I did over at Mistah Cholly's, (acoustic), an my soundcheck on th CAR, I used my Gorilla GC-25

13. TimTheViking

Mine doesn't have a Master volume. It has Gain, Volume and Tone besides the tone stack and reverb. Is your's different?

jbrowning and Angry Possum like this.
  14. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think the point being made is that the 5W only has volume and tone. There isn't a separate gain and separate volume knob on it.

15. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    The "Volume" knob would be the Master. "Gain" would be the amount of preamp drive. Just labeling differences.

16. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Spring for the 15w. A no brainer.

17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

As the others said, the one called "Volume" is a master volume control.

18. TimTheViking

I always think of the master volume as the one that will control the final stage and not have an effect on the other settings. I guess on a single channel amp there would be only one volume control. On several of my other amps I have both channel and master volumes labeled as such as I'm sure many of you do.

ScoobySnacker and jbrowning like this.
  19. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Yes, that's labeled "volume" on the MP15.

Also, the "tone" control is just before the EL84 tubes, so it's after all the preamp controls and the effects loop.

ScoobySnacker, drewcp and jbrowning like this.