Modern Player Tele - Wiring in SD pickup

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by squierjosh, Apr 25, 2016.

1. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    Hey all. I picked up a Modern Player Tele Plus from a local Music Go Round. I have a SD JB that I'd like to try in the bridge. Looking at Fender's wiring diagram, it looks like the humbucker has 4 wires, and the colors don't match up to what SD uses. Looks like Fender has the green as a ground wire? Anyone know how to wire in this pickup?

modernplayerwiring.png

From SD's website:
    All Seymour Duncan humbuckers with four-conductor hookup wires incorporate a standard wire color code.

GREEN = start of adjustable/south coil
    RED = finish of adjustable/south coil
    BLACK = start of stud/north coil
    WHITE = finish of stud/north coil

For standard series humbucking operation on a 4-Conductor wired humbucker the White & Red wires are soldered together and taped; Green is ground and Black is Hot Output. The bare wire is always grounded.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You'd be using the Seymour Duncan color codes -

Green is your ground wire on an SD pickup

Black is the hot....

Now if you're wiring it up 'normal old school' way, and you don't want coil split...the red and white get soldered/taped off together...

As for that wiring diagram/guitar....what is it? a toggle switch for coil split? I need more info....

3. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I'm looking at this....and there is no 'bare' wire listed as being on the Fender 4 conductor humbucker....so I'm lost now....

[​IMG]

4. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    Yep, the Modern Player Tele has a toggle switch to split the bridge humbucker. I'd like to keep the split, as it basically turns it into a Strat.

5. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    Sheesh, I just went back and actually read your question.... You are running a tele. Gotta think about that, don't want the neck and 'bucker to be out of phase in position 2.... hmmm, let me go check something and I'll add another reply....

This only applies to a strat.

Ok, so if you want the switch to split the coil on the humbucker, then wire to red and white wires together to one side of the switch, and a ground to the other. then Black to the bridge input of the 5way-switch, and green to ground. with the switch open, bridge is in humbucking mode, switch closed shorts the red and white to ground, which splits the coils, by grounding the output of the south coil, leaving the north coil only transmitting.

I usually wire my 5 way switch to do this in position 4 only to combine the mid and the north coil of the bridge, so that position 5 is humbucker by itself. I don't see much demand to run both coils of the humbucker + the middle singlecoil, and you never have to make two switch changes, but YMMV

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  6. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    Ok, the bridge on a tele is set with the magnets south pole up, and the neck is north up, so to split the coil and have the bridge coil that is live be in phase with the neck, but still rw/rp, you will want to flip the hot and ground, so that when you close the switch, it's the south coil that is live, and the north coil is shorted, So.... wire the black to ground and green to the bridge input of the switch.

I don't think it matters which coil is physically closest to the neck, it's which one that is live that matters. and in position 3 you will be running just the south coil with the switch closed, and full 'bucker with it open. I can't figure out a way to be able to run just the north coil by itself, but that might not be a bad thing, you probably wouldn't want to accidently end up with the north coil and the neck on together, being out of phase they would sound really weak and thin.

again, YMMV, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to hook up a meter and verify the phase of the neck vs the humbucker coils as a doublecheck though.

7. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    FOund this on another forum. Other than getting green and black backwards, it worked:

The black wire on your Seymour Duncan pickup is the same as the red wire coming from the Fender bridge pickup in the Modern Player Tele diagram you posted. The red+white wires on your Seymour Duncan pickup, when soldered together, are the same as the single white wire on the Fender mini-toggle coming from the bridge. You would solder the red and white of the Duncan pickup to where the white Fender bridge wire is now. Green is the same on both Fender and Duncan, according to what that Modern Player diagram is showing.

So I connected red and white and put it where white is above. Then green from the SD where red was above. Then black and bare to ground. Works just like it did with the stock pickup. Lucky, got it on the first try.

8. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    Dammit, I lied. Something's goofy in the 2 position. The right pickups are working, but it's really weak.

9. jskeen

jskeen Squier-holic

Feb 9, 2016
    Texas
    the coil of the humbucker that is active is the one that is out of phase with the neck. swap green and black from the 'bucker and see if that takes care of it. Remember a tele neck is rwrp from the bridge, like a strat's middle pup. I may have confused that earlier.

i'm not sure about the SD humbuckers, but I do know that SD single coils are copied from the very early fender singlecoils, so they are backwards from the current fender singlecoils. It's hard to keep straight at the best of times, that's why I try to remember to check polarity with a meter before I do the final solder as a double check for my last few remaining brain cells.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  10. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    That fixed it. So the guy was right. Someone else had corrected him later in the thread, but he was right all along. I grounded green and ran black to the toggle and now it's a normal volume and has a little quack with the bridge in single coil mode. Fun project!

11. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Position 2 was weak @squierjosh because the coil wind and magnet direction is opposite on SD pickups compared to Fender - so that guy may have been right but also may have been wrong, it depends what brands you're combining - glad you figured it out!

squierjosh likes this.
  12. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    Good point. My new motto is keep on moving wires around until it works the way you think it should.

jamndad likes this.
  13. servantadvocate

servantadvocate New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    tennessee
    Did you ever figure this out? Its been a while so I figured you did. the black wire goes with the red wire on the diagram for those looking for the answer. Interesting thing is when I opened up mine the green and bare wire were connected to the tone pot and not the switch. it apears to make no difference that I can tell if so let me know.

14. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Welcome to S T !