Missing string body ferrules

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by surfrodguitar, Feb 15, 2017.

1. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    The SQ I picked up off CL is missing most of the ferrules. What is your opinion on these? Do they contribute to the tone and sustain?

willhowl likes this.
  2. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    jackdragbean, willhowl, so1om and 5 others like this.
  3. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Pat V., IronSchef and surfrodguitar like this.
  4. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
  5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Gotta have 'em..
    I put an old Strat (hard tail) back together once when I had little money and no where (that I knew of at the time) to find ferrules ..I used pop rivets instead..They're still in the guitar..

jackdragbean and willhowl like this.
  6. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Do you think having the ferrules effect the tone and sustain? Seems there are differing opinions out there. The high e on my tele seems like the sustain tends to die out as you get to the upper register frets and I have tried raising the action, checked and level the frets and still the same. I guess now, add the ferrules and I'll see if that's the culprit.

7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Whether or not it has any effect on the tone or sustain isn't the issue..That string needs a firm anchor..

Slidertom, Caddy and so1om like this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    When I built my Esquire I ran without ferrules for 3 or 4 months (needed custom lathe work-long story), and I can't say anything definitive about toan (who can?), but I did notice better tuning stability (string sinking into the wood), and maybe more 'zing' with the ferrules. The guitar has a very light swamp ash body with a 1-piece maple neck. I also used Fender Bullet end strings to keep the bore intact before I installed the ferrules--not my normal choice so there's that. Amped up, there was no discernible difference to my ears.

surfrodguitar likes this.
  9. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Ferrules, brass nuts, brass plates on the headstock, tone woods... all rubbish.. or after 35+ years of playing I'm absolutely dead.

10. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    For tuning stability, I consider them an absolute must.

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    You have a situation where metal meets wood...Which one do ya think will win in a pressure contest ??

12. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I'll start looking for some. Cheers Bros!

jackdragbean likes this.
  13. jimbojo

jimbojo Squier-holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I had a tele that had a brass ferrule block, don't know about tone but that guitar sure had sustain.

14. willhowl

willhowl Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2011
    Houston Texas
    I think ferrules are a good thing....no proof, just gut..........I put some on an F mid 70's Tele, I used to own...( no more....crying now).......I think they helped sustain, and stability.........

I did not like the idea of all the tension involved going into bare wood....

Now , around the same time, I put a Fender 6-way bridge on it, and , after much adjustment,....I really liked what I heard........Sooooooo....

I think Papa Joe said it right, about an Anchor.............

I think they belong on a Hard-Tail setup..........just my opinion........willhowl

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  15. 9fears08

9fears08 Squier Talker

Jan 19, 2017
    Bristol
    ..or you could switch to a top load bridge..Perhaps the ferrules fell out cos the hole had gotten too big (can't think how) in which case it might be an easier (if slightly more expensive) way of doing it..That does open the top load vs thru body debate but that's a whole other thing..it'll do the job..just be sure you've got the same number of screw holes for the screws that hold the bridge in place. Some have three, some have four.

16. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-Meister

String through versus top load is maybe a conversation but string through without ferrules = bad.

Slidertom, surfrodguitar and 9fears08 like this.
  17. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic