Mini P Bass

ventintothemic

Nov 12, 2022
Bandon, Oregon
I just bought a Squier Mini P Bass from GC for $179. I checked the inventory at my closest GC store and they had one red Mini P Bass in stock. I pulled it down from the wall and it was awful. Poorly crafted, floppy strings, mediocre sound. While I was playing some other basses for fun, my friend walked around the store and found yet another mini P bass, this one black, brand new, and not listed in the GC store's inventory. This Mini P Bass was excellent! Played great and sounded great. The workmanship was much better. So I bought it. My band thinks it sounds much better than the Danelectro Longhorn or the Hofner short-scale Beatle bass I had been playing. Moral of the story: Play it before you buy or be comfortable with returning it if you buy online. The only negative I have to report is the tuning machines might need an upgrade. My friend suggested I change the strings first to see if better strings might be okay with the present tunning machines. I not, then I'll look to upgrade.

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
I have had a Red one for a couple of months. Going to my Grandson Friday for his 10th BD! Tuners could have been put on a little Straighter? Tulips almost touch each other! Plays great! :cool:

Last edited:

Smith357

Squier-Meister
Apr 30, 2017
ohio
I had a similar experience, I saw a less than one year old mini P on CL for stupid cheap, so I went and bought it. I knew right away why the seller was ditching it at such a loss. It really was a disaster as it came from the factory, I spent a couple of hours giving it a full setup. Fret level and polish, sand the rough neck finish smooth, et. et. Then put on a set of flats and I'll be damned if it's not a great little bass, it plays very well and sound good plus it just drops right into a regular guitar gig bag.

huYJhxQ.jpg

Jerry Atrick

Nov 23, 2022
spokane wa
I just got one recently as my first bass after playing guitar for a number of years. I took it to the luthier to replace the loose output jack, install a spiffy new pickguard, set it up, and do some fret work.
I got it back with the high frets unplayable since the strings were laying right on them and missing two pickguard screws. Yoicks. I didn't want to go back, so I raised the saddles until it stopped buzzing.
It looks really good, tho. (see picture.) 20221117_105715.jpg

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Double Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO
Welcome also! I am over in Post Falls. My Grand Son over in Spokane Valley got a Red Mini Bass for his 10th BD! I snagged a Rumble 25 Amp for his Christmas Gift. Have to Spoil the "Brats"! :cool: