Mid-Level Hard Tail Strat Options?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Benlostforyears, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Benlostforyears

Benlostforyears Squier-Nut

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    I'm looking for a hardtail, vintage style Strat guitar, preferably SSS or HSS. No one seems to offer a decently quality HT body, other than MJT for about $400, so I've given up on a building a partscaster. I would love the Inca Silver Robert Cray MIM model, but they are hard to come by for a decent price these days. I've also come across the Godin Session HT, but what are some other options? Any help is much appreciated.

Cochise, dbrian66 and lboorse2 like this.
  2. lboorse2

lboorse2 Squier-holic

Dec 29, 2010
    Philly 'Burbs
  3. archetype

archetype Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Western NY, USA
    Benlostforyears and Triple Jim like this.
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
  5. archetype

archetype Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Western NY, USA
  6. Benlostforyears

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    I would love one of these but they're even harder to get a hold of than the Robert Cray. On the used market these sell for more than new.

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. Benlostforyears

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    I'm in the camp that doesn't trust XGP bodies. I've just read too many horror stories of badly placed bridges and messed up neck pockets.

I've never considered an FGN, but they're not much more than buying a used Fender with shipping. Hmmmm....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Paruwi, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  8. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Jammin' in my Music Room Platinum Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    My gripe is the GFS XGP ash bodies are honking heavy and actually thicker than spec. My hardtail ash XGP built out weighs 9lbs, 14oz. The alder(?) Bodies are okay and not heavy but you will need a bridge with 52.5mm E-e spacing and 1/4" ferrules.

9. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Paruwi likes this.
  10. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yes, I got mine shipped from Japan. It's a fantastic guitar.

Looks like it's sold out on FGN-USA, but not much more shipped from Japan

https://reverb.com/item/46594756-fu...0-charcoal-3-41kg-b200027-made-in-japan-yk012

Make an offer, and you never know. I think they reduced shipping for me when I inquired.

Paruwi and Benlostforyears like this.
  11. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Sorry, the only experiences I have with a hardtailed Traditional Strat type is with a 2021 Squier Bullet FSR Stratocaster HT and a very brief fling with a First Act ME-1959 Strat-type (before it got stolen).

2021 Squier Bullet FSR Stratocaster
    Ālilelile (Sparkle)
    Squier_Bullet_FSR_Strat-ZC(2000x4000).jpg

2010 First Act ME-1959
    Kaulana (Fame)
    First_Act_ME1959-FF-ZC(2000x4000).jpg

The Bullet is quite good and I recommend it, even tho it's only 199$ (at the time I've bought it new earlier this year), so it's below yer criterion "mid-level." However I don't think it'd be hard to upgrade it to HSS with a pickguard and pup swap. Just be aware that it's a thin body like most recent Bullets. Aside from that, tis a well built guitar as one can mostly expect from Squier nowdays. And yes, that's the Fender Special Run of the Red Sparkle finish (basically a bright red flake finish). I also have it's stablemate, the Red Sparkle 2021 Squier Bullet FSR Stratocaster, which I named Ōlinolino (Glitter).
    Squier_Bullet_FSR_Tele-FF-RC(2000x4000).jpg

The First Act, I unfortunately didn't have enough experience with it before it got stolen, but first impression I had of it is fairly favourable. Please note that the pic above is NOT of my ME-1959, it's a pic of the same model I found online to use here. The guitar was stolen before I had chance to photograph it and record it's data. So I only have the seller's crappy photos.

The only other hardtailed Strat I have is actually a modern style, or otherwise called a SuperStrat or a Fat Strat. It's my 2003 Washburn Pro X12 that has been heavily modified electronics wise.

2003 Washburn Pro X12 QVS
    Kamāmāmua (The First Light)
    Washburn_Pro_X12-FF-ZC(2000x4000).jpg

This guitar MSRPed at $150 new, and now could be had for cheaper...or more, depending on it's condition. I sank almost 500$ into it and it now has D'addario Flatwound 10s, a new set of Seymour Duncan Distortion/59 humbuckers, 2 p/p CTS 500k pots (a master volume and master tone) that UNsplits each humbucker independently, a new US-spec 3-way toggle, new knobs, grover tuners, and Straplocks. My fave position is in middle with both pups split to effectively create a hybrid Distortion/59 humbucker!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022