MF Going Downhill....

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by techowiz, Jun 29, 2020 at 1:41 PM.

1. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    If you make a purchase from MF and need to return it, you will need a RMA number. Good luck getting someone to pick up when you call, or a chat room response. I realize that times are tough now, but I don't believe that I want to chance making a purchase that I can't return. Right now I'm stuck with two defective mixers.

techowiz likes this.
  2. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    No issues for me. Very pleased!

3. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I ordered something. I called to make a change, they changed it alright then sent it to my old address ... had to wait for the shipment replacement. This old address is not in my M/F profile anymore I’ve changed my primary there already. I’m lucky it was a fairly small order of various string sets.

techowiz likes this.
  4. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    And yet other companies are still providing quality CS and quick shipping times.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with GC's financial trouble.

techowiz likes this.
  5. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I was very dedicated to them when I started playing again (WOW, over 17 years back now), and then in 2007, I got a gift certificate, and tried to buy a Fender FM100R head, and Rogue mandolin kit... right when they consolidated/moved warehouses... it was a farce. I got the Mando accessories right away, and the Mando shortly after, but two weeks later I still didn’t have the amp. To top it off, they didn’t at the time give partial refunds for gift cards... I was told multiple times I would just have to wait... after another few weeks, GC put the FM212R on sale, and I wanted to use the leftover money on it, but was told the order was now being processed, And will probably ship that day.
    Just before this occurred, I had a blog post about the whole situation... and it was getting some serious hits, even from MF themselves. At the time, if you googled “Musicians Friend Shipping Problems”, my blog was the first hit, by September, it was the top (non ad) hit when you Googled “Musician’s Friend“.

Towards the end of the GC sale, my amp head still showed “in process” in MF’s system, so I called again, this time was different, as soon as they pulled up the order, the salesdrone said, “Oh, THAT order!” Where previously they said they couldn’t get a hold of anyone in accounting to process a direct refund of a partial gift card... I was directed to a manager who (while on the phone) credited my card for the cost of the amp, I went to GC and bought the FM212R that day.

I hadn’t really started flipping guitars yet, so I wasn’t hitting other shops than MF/GC. I decided right then and there to make a change in that. In January of the following year, MF sent me a 20% off coupon, along with free shipping for any weight item, I bought up some strings they had on sale, picks, and other accessories... but they will never be my sole source again.

techowiz likes this.
  6. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

Over the past few days I missed a deal on music stands. First on the daily deal then yesterday on the hourly. So I called them and got a rep right away and while she had me on hold for a bit checked, they were able to give me the "ideal" price as long as the item was still in stock. It was in stock and I was left in a happy state of mind.

A couple of months ago I bought a set of studio headphone on a "deal". They really sucked and when setup a chat to discuss this, they offered to send me another set in case the ones I got were defective. The second set were just as bad so I setup another chat session. They wanted to charge me to return the second set. Not the first ones as they were categorized as "defective" so they didn't need to be returned. The second set was just a return that they wanted me to pay return shipping on. After protesting, they just let me keep both sets and refunded me. I was happy with that.

radiotech likes this.
  7. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I quit when they offered me $70 for the 1110, and GC offered me the exact same price. Or in other words, when they started price fixing across storefronts.
    Find a 1110 in good shape and price it.

8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    What the heck is an 1110?

9. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    A Lotus 1110.
    Lotus made a heavy square edged body superstrat with a full length three piece neck like the old style Gibson neck.
    Ash body and the heaviest guitar I own I think. I have the 1110"Square Edge Superstrat" , and the 1190 model which shared a lot of the flavor, but was the sculpted locking nut version.
    They both share one of the most unfortunate headstock shapes ever produced, which killed them.
    In Europe, they are serious collector's items. Or were back when I was studying such things.
    Serious guitars built like tanks. with what I call the lop sided acorn headstock!
    They could not even look them up, but offered me 73.xx, and five miles away, GC offered me the exact same price, down to the penny.
    I offered them here, and they are still for sale, but I will take them to the grave before I will give them away. I don't play anything but semi hollows and LP's these days, so they don't fit me.

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/lotus-l-1110-and-lotus-1190.154523/

10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    In my experience GC offers will be somewhere in the range of 40-60 percent of what they will use as the starting price.

I don't know the value of that particular guitar, but most every Lotus I have ever seen, in the last 5 years of so, has sold for 100-200, so I don't personally see anything out of the ordinary with them offering 73 bucks

11. kjmac

kjmac Squier-holic

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I've found it's all in who you are dealing with rather than GC or MF as a company. The GC in Omaha is a disaster while the one in Lincoln is a joy to shop. The people make the difference. The same is true on line with MF. I have had mostly good experience with the on line people and for the most part I have been happy with purchases from both GC and MF.

On another note, I only attempted to trade in old gear once to GC. They like to give you about half what it's worth and then mark it up double and make big money on it. I have a guy here in town that operates an LGS who takes in gear on consignment. I have sold about 5-6 items through him and he always gets a good price and only charges 20% commission.

drewcp likes this.
  12. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I too think GC in Lincoln is overall better than Omaha, but I think that has much to do with many of the guys coming from other stores before working there. And roots music in Lincoln is pretty good too.

kjmac and techowiz like this.
  13. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I would be curious for OP (@techowiz) to answer...

When did you first start noticing things going downhill at MF? Was it 10 years ago? 5? More recent than that?

techowiz likes this.
  14. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Noticed a decline in order delivery quality starting about two years ago.

15. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Delivery Quality...hmmm. Is that not the responsibility of the carrier that is transporting the product?

Also, at one point you said, "This started since the GC integration became more pervasive"

I'm not sure what you mean by it being more pervasive but as far as I know, there hasn't been any significant changes in the warehouse/distribution side of things any time in recent history, when it comes to items shipped directly to customers.

The GC acquisition of MF was 20 years ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...xpm-1999-may-14-fi-37049-story.html?_amp=true

16. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Nut

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    I've never needed an RA number at MF. They send out a prepaid UPS label within minutes of my call (usually while I am on the phone) and I simply print it, put it back on the box and drop it at the UPS store.
    Of course, I only return defective items, not ones I am simply unhappy with. If you use them like a lending library, you pay shipping back.

That's why I buy at GC when I am iffy about an item---I can return it to the store if I am unhappy and avoid shipping charge. Now that MF charges tax, there is no difference in price either.

LutherBurger and drewcp like this.
  17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

To be fair, it appears that all of the supply chains are suffering. I was on SweetWater's site recently and found more models "coming soon" than "in stock".

18. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    A rapid decline, indeed... and a timely thread.

It's OK to be grumpy sometimes, but we should strive to get our stories straight.

russtopherb, Sonarman and techowiz like this.
  19. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    What I meant by "delivery quality" was that I received guitars which were different models/mfg from what I ordered on two different occasions. Recently I placed orders for gear which was marked "IN STOCK" on the MF website, only to find out that they were moved to backordered items, while the GC/MF fulfillment was straightened out. This is my opinion , based on my experiences. If you are happy with MF/GC than have at it.

20. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    My initial thread was not about "lack of inventory", which I completely understand with the current supply chain issues.