MF Going Downhill....

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by techowiz, Jun 29, 2020 at 1:41 PM.

1. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Has anyone else noticed the rapid decline in shopping experience at Musician's Friend?
    Almost impossible to get a chat response (average wait 10-15 minutes at earliest)..
    Ordered several guitars that said "in stock" and later checked website and said item on "backorder"...
    Rep said they changed their shipping process and combined inventory with GC about a month ago.
    I used to order from them exclusively. NO MORE!

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    My shopping experience is largely unchanged. They have less people working, because pandemic. They have more people ordering online, because pandemic.

I have not seen any decrease in shipping speed, or packing quality of my orders, and the delays to speak to someone are completely reasonable/expected, imo.

3. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    The whole world is changed at the moment, perhaps you heard? :cool:

4. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    No- mind telling me about it?

Viking, Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  5. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    You may have heard on the news where world shut down for a month or so and manufacturing for nonessential products like musical gear of all types. First world problems are tough but I think we'll make it.

6. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    For years and years MF was my go to place. Guitars, amps, everything. Expensive stuff even like Gibson and Martin guitars.

That ended for me shortly after they became part of the GC organization. I noticed the difference before I knew why. No more give and take, just fixed offers. And endless junk mail that didn't stop after repeated requests that it do so. -Often masquerading as personal communication from this person or that by name.

Then came stated stances on issues having nothing to do with selling musical gear.

Nope, nope and nope.

I recently even stopped looking at the Deals of the Day. I wish no temptation to buy from them.

-don

7. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Thanks for the insightful response!

Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  8. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Yes Don. Real shame. I see all the smart @$$ comments about the pandemic being the cause. This started since the GC integration became more pervasive (prior to the CV).

9. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Deleted. Wrong thread.

10. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I just order Musicians Gear strings from them. That's about it.

wickedtools and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. techowiz

techowiz Squier-Nut

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    The strings are a great buy.

12. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Other than that, nothing from MF.

13. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I bought a couple of things from them this year, including a guitar. I didn't have a truly negative experience, although the guitar was not as described. I can't fault them too much for that--every (and I mean every other dealer) had the same misinformation about the guitar. Breedlove cleared it up.

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    That reminded me. I just ordered two sets of acoustic steel strings. :)

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  15. SubSailer671

I just changed the strings on the Breedlove. I went with Ernie Ball Silk and Steels this time. I won't be doing that again.

Eddie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  16. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I buy almost everything guitar- and pro audio-related from them, and I've only had two minor issues in many years: a defective headphone amp; and once they sent picks of the wrong shape. Both problems were handled immediately and professionally.

I think they're probably having a rough time right now. Think about it -- many of their customers have been out of work for months and their income has likely taken a big hit. I know mine has.

drewcp and fattboyzz like this.
  17. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I've never tried the silk and steei, but then my acoustics are steel string.

Realizing I am in a very small minority, but I've never cared for EB strings. They just feel...funky to me. And I ended up with like 5 or 6 sets of EB's in my size, so they had a good size run, not a one & done. I'm sure there are far worse strings but I really disliked the EB's.

18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    This ∆∆∆∆∆∆

19. SubSailer671

I like the EBs on my electric guitars. The Silk-n-Steel strings are warmer in tone, lower in output, have less punch. They also have a little less tension on them. They feel softer under the fingers, have less string squeak when changing chords, and a little less sustain.

They are steel strings, meant for steel string guitars, not classical nylon instruments. They have the same steel core, and the EADG strings are wound with phosphor bronze only these have silk added to the mix.

Good for folksy stuff, and fingerpicking. Not so good for hard strumming or bluegrass flatpicking. I really like the D'addario ones, the EBs not so much. The Martin Silk-n-Steels get good reviews, but I haven't played them (yet).

20. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Now D'Addario's I like. When I buy 'Branded' strings, or a good sale, that's what I buy. I have generally switched to Musician's Gear strings. With lots of guitars and continually needing to change/update/renew strings, their cost is a huge plus. Honestly, I really cannot tell much of a difference between them and other brands, except EB. I've been very pleased with the Musicians Gear strings.