May Riff Raff

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by MrYeats, May 1, 2021.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
  2. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma

A little White Stripes riffage.

Squier Tele Custom into a Super Champ X2 head with Eminence Private Jack loaded cab.

3. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
  4. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Some random noise I did earlier today... US E9 Squier strat into Kemper Profiler... Kemper recorded direct to Akai MPC LIVE II using its audio tracks... Yamaha Reface CP(Wurlitzer) and Yamaha Reface CS(virtual analog synth) sequenced by MPC LIVE II... MPC does drums and bass...

5. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Well I've taken a trip back to the 80-90s for awhile guys.... Having fun though. Got the Ibanez rebuilt and enjoying the Floyd Rose tremolo. This is just a jam to a backtrack..

6. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast

Kenneth Mountain and fadetoz like this.
  7. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    https://soundcloud.com/grizzlewulf/jerky-demo

Demo of a song I'm working on. Gotta figure out a little tighter riffage in places on the leads, add some flourishes and thickening to the backing track. Then vocals (which I can't really do much at the moment because my music time all comes after the kids are in bed lately, but, I digress)

If anyone's interested: Drums/bass/synth from NI Maschine. Guitar, Affinity Jazzmaster w/ gold foil middle pickup. Pedals include Caline Orange Burst on the cleaner parts, spring reverb via Zoom CDR MS-70. First loud guitar bit is a Behringer Super Fuzz, second loud guitar bit is Joyo Uzi.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  8. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Nut

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    I hear some Jerry Garcia influence there? Sounds funky good.

Kenneth Mountain, fadetoz and MrYeats like this.
  9. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
  10. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I like the mix of analog guitars and digital synths! I'm still trying to decide if I should make up a riff, record it, make a video and post it or just use one of the tracks I uploaded to my YouTube on Monday. I guess for this month I will submit my second of two collaborations with my former roommate. I made a thread about the first one but then didn't post anything for the second.

I consider this track an experiment for a few reasons. The first part was that I wanted to take something that I had made in Audacity and import it into Reaper to make editing much easier. So I painstakingly found the tempo of my original Yamaha keyboard drums, which ended up being off by roughly a third of a BPM from a whole number. Then I replaced the drums with my drum plugin, Kvlt Drums II, and recorded a new bassline. The original version had a bassline played on my Jackson RR-3 with an octave down effect, which works in a pinch but doesn't really sound like an actual bass. I consider this part to be a success.

The second part of the experiment was to see if I could clean up the vocals and add some effects. I consider this a partial success because my setup in 2009 was a very noisy PC stick style microphone (see below pic) and it picked up some bleed from the cheap old headphones I had my roommate Dave wear during the vocal tracking. I like using Reaper's pre-FX volume envelopes to create a more consistent level in the vocal tracks, but I'm still new to DAWs and need more practice at using EQ and plugins to really make the vocals pop. And Dave's performance is not the best. I may use this music for a completely different set of words or I may try and record my own version of the lyrics that Dave made up on the spot. That said I have been on a kick where I feel like I should really post as much of the music I've made at home over the last ten to fifteen years if only for posterity's sake. So as one of the two tracks I was most proud of from that period of my life, I felt like this version of Love To Come Around deserved to be posted.

upload_2021-5-6_11-14-17.png
    Remember these?

11. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Very chill, made me want to drive slow around the old neighborhood with a Slurpee. The trem effect on the guitar gave it some cool texture, too

MrYeats and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  12. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Glad you said it so I don't have to.

The track has some interesting things going for it though, pretty lush sounding. Worth using for something, but the vocals are a bit distracting. And I don't think it's the mixing :)

MrYeats likes this.
  13. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Perfect! That's exactly what I was going for. :) Thanks for listening!

MrYeats and grizzlewulf like this.
  14. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    I'm not usually a fan of synth sounds, but that just melds together with the guitar and drums so well. Kind of has a Beck vibe to it at times, maybe it's the beat? I followed you on soundcloud. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this!

MrYeats and grizzlewulf like this.
  15. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Thanks man, yeah I'm a huge Beck fan, especially the 90s era stuff. And I definitely lean more toward the rock side than the electronic side, so I'm glad it's melding in that way.

MrYeats and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  16. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    When I sent it to my Dad, the first thing he asked was if I could send him a version without vocals! As for the instruments, in those days I had just got my GT-8, which gave me access to recording decent guitar tones directly into my PC's line-in jack. Before that I made a few tracks using the line-in and a Zoom 505, but it's processing was pretty primitive. The guitar is my Jackson Rhoads V for all tracks. The Duncan Detonator in that guitar's neck position is much lower output than the bridge version, so it makes nice clean tones.

I much prefer that the GT-100 is it's own 24-bit interface. Using the four cable method I can get super quiet actual tube tones from my Hot Rod Deluxe. I also have a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, which came with a set of decent headphones and a proper condenser microphone, so no longer do I need to worry about bleed or use the PC's line-in jack to record guitars or vocals!

Reaper has also made producing music so much easier. I stubbornly used Audacity for way longer than I needed to.

17. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    I used to use Audacity a bunch for podcasting...bless their souls for making it, but there are much easier ways to go.

It's funny how much I wish I had access to the tools I have now years ago. Ah well...

MrYeats, fadetoz and mofojar like this.
  18. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Makes me want a biscuit...

Love the tone, man.

MrYeats and squierTony like this.
  19. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Thanks. Thought that one turned out pretty cool... Could have been worse... Finally getting my mojo back a little bit on guitar after ignoring guitars for a year while I tried to figure the other stuff out. Been gettin way better with the electronica stuff lately so hoping to combine the 2... Better background sounds and better guitar sounds...