Matching stage guitars - Power move or goofball stunt?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by BarnyardShark1979, Oct 27, 2021.

Matching Stage Guitars: Power move or goofball stunt?

1. Power Move

16.7%
  2. Goofball Stunt

5.6%
  3. Kinda both I guess.

77.8%
  1. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Nut

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    Being a fan of ZZ Top, I think it's a power move.

Being a goofball, I also sorta think it's a goofball stunt, but hey, tomorrow my band is gonna do it anyways at our first gig in 2 years.

Behold, 3 White Squiers (Affinity Jazz Bass V, Affinity Jazzmaster HH (swapped in WBWB pickguard for stock black one), Bullet Mustang HH. I think they'll look especially good when we're all decked out in head to toe black for contrast.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  2. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I dig it!!

just saw ZZTop last month - they were rockin these super-cool custom axes

BarnyardShark1979 likes this.
  3. ALinPHL

ALinPHL Squier-Meister

Feb 18, 2021
    Phila,Pa
    Go for it, cheese rocks!
    upload_2021-10-27_22-31-1.jpeg

4. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I agree with this sentiment so much that for the fuzz on my board I have forgone a Big Muff, a FuzzFace (clone), an FZ-2 (and Behringer's FZ-2 clone), and a fOXX Tone Machine (clone) for a JHS Cheese Ball.

I love cheese. Made and ate a grilled cheese sandwich 40 minutes ago. Wasn't really even hungry, just sorta drunk.

5. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    ZZ Top put on one of the best shows I've ever seen (and I've seen LOTS, and LOTS of shows).
    Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines in the early 1990's. ('93 or '94 I think). Extreme opened for them...Miller Lite promoted the show but didn't bring enough beer. Stood in line all through Extreme; only to be told there was no more beer when I got to the front (almost a riot from the balcony as promotion signs dropped to the floor).
    THERE'S 10,000 PEOPLE HERE AND YOU BROUGHT ONE KEG was my reaction. Didn't do me any good.
    Went back to our seats and watched Billy, and Dusty come out on Go-Carts, hop off and start playing...then Frank drove his motorized drums out on stage once the song began, playing his kit as he steared into position. Cool as *ell!

Robb, BarnyardShark1979 and fattboyzz like this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I say go for it ! :D:p:D

Robb and BarnyardShark1979 like this.
  7. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    Believe me, no matter what the popular concensus turns out to be, we're rocking our matching guitars at the gig tomorr... technically later today I guess. lol

8. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    [​IMG]
    I think they looked pretty good up there.

9. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I think it’s cool when bands make it a point to have a cohesive aesthetic. I’ve never been in a band that has, but it looks cool when other bands do.

10. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Awesome, you look like you’re having a lot of fun too!

SoCalJim and BarnyardShark1979 like this.
  11. radiotech

radiotech Squier-Axpert

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    My exact first thought. Saw them with Nick Lowe three years ago New Year’s Eve… what a show!!!

SoCalJim and BarnyardShark1979 like this.
  12. radiotech

radiotech Squier-Axpert

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    My gigging band back in the day thought my Aria Diamonds Bass was dorky (they even carved the big rhinestone out of the headstock after a weekend of shows), they wanted a cohesive look, and wanted me to get a Black bass (guitarists played a Black Strat, and a Black SG). At the time, I couldn’t find anything Black I could afford (or trade), so I traded for a (terrible) Kingston viola bass (which they all agreed did not sound as good, but to them looked cooler). I had to take the pickup covers off to get any volume out of it (sounded better too), but it was me being a stupid kid giving in to peer pressure.

I eventually bought my first new bass (First Cort PJ Model, deep red mahogany, so still not black), the very first day I brought it to rehearsal… I quit (another peer pressure move on their part).

These days, I wouldn’t hesitate to do matching guitars for a gig, but then again… I have the funds/gear now.

BarnyardShark1979 likes this.
  13. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    If one sees public performances as something greater than "just" the music -- as an entire, unified, experience -- then group appearance matters.

Such, I think, was seen to be so for much (if not most) of performance history. And if such is, indeed, a show, then costuming rightly and expectedly, would be a part of it. Coordinated clothing. Coordinated movement. Why not coordinated instruments?

Were, for instance, the matching jackets in this first group below just a matter of chance? Or the tie selections in the second? (The Benny Goodman and the Artie Shaw orchestras?)

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 7.03.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 7.02.05 AM.png

Was this?

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 7.09.31 AM.png

Or this? ;)

Abs doing And I Love Her 2.jpg

For those of us busy making music in the `60 the change out of uniform was seen to be as much of a statement as our earlier getting into them. And such was no more "natural" than any other staged event.

Matching guitars strike me as similar to matching steps. And, yes, that too was once seen as simply part of the show.

-don

14. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Again, hah!

Somewhere, sitting on a shelf, there is a USIA (United State Information Agency) movie about the South African singer Miriam Makeba, where a certain NY guitarist took Makeba's song writer to the first NY City Central Park "Love In," and there, with the camera running, he took a large flower always seen on the headstock of his Guild Starfire V guitar and contributed it to the communal 'give and take' pile of stuff that was a big part of the "happening."

I know! I know! What can I say? :p

-don

15. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I'm playing my first show with my band later this month and before the gig I have to procure a kilt. The band is a Scottish/Celtic punk band and that's our one cohesive thing- none of us wear pants!

16. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I used to wear a utili-kilt back in high school hahaha.one of the most comfortable garments I’ve ever worn.

17. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Funny thing about you mentioning the Ventures is they’re also one of the most famous examples of a band using matching guitars.

BarnyardShark1979 and SoCalJim like this.