Major praise for the Mustang Micro

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
I didn't know whether to post this in the amp forum or the effects forum, because this amazing little device is both and neither, lol.
Anyway, the resident manager of my bldg., who is mostly an acoustic player, and has a couple of Martins, a Koa Taylor, a Takamine, and others, decided a few months back that he wanted an electric, so he bought a Player Tele, and then a Player Plus Strat, and a 100W 212 Katana. He also bought a Mustang Micro, all from SW.
Then he bought an Acoustisonic Tele, and decided that was all the electric he needed, so he asked me to sell his Tele and Strat for him on CL for a commission, 'cause he doesn't have the time to do it himself, what with keeping everything in this massive building in tip-top shape, as well as dealing with all the idiots in a huge building with 300 units, where 80% of them are rentals.
Well, he also asked me to sell the Mustang Micro, and i told him if I liked it maybe I'd buy it, and he said if I like it I can keep it as part of my commission.
I wasn't sure what to think, because it sounded really good in the YT videos I'd seen, but I was a bit put off by the way sounds are changed and adjusted on it, using the four up/down buttons, guided by different color LEDs.
So, I first tried it with my Sony headphones, and it sounded great, but I don't really like playing with phones, so I then tried it going into my amps, first before my pedals, which wasn't that great, and then after my pedals, which was much better.
As with my amps, I prefer not using the onboard distortion sounds, and like it most on the clean Fender amp models, either the BF Deluxe or Tweed Twin, with dirt provided by one of my favorite Klon or TS pedals.
It sounds the worst with my LT25, which imparts a plinky metallic edge to the highs, even with the treble on the amp turned down, and the tone on the Micro at its lowest setting (it has limited EQ, with only a 5 level treble control and no other EQ).
It does far better with my THR10Cs and Katana Minis, but is still quite bright, and sounds best with the mids turned up a bit and the treble turned down a bit on the amps, even with the tone on the Micro at its lowest setting.
Then I decided to bypass the amp's preamps and just use them as monitors, going out of the Micro into the aux input on the amps, so in that case the amps are just a power amp and speaker.
The LT25 sounded the worst still when setup that way, and the Yamahas sounded better, but the Katana Minis are pure magic! With this setup, it really nails the classic cranked BF sound with a Strat at low volume better than any other setup I've had in the last several years.
So, I bought a small 3.5mm splitter on Ebay, so I could feed both Kat Minis at the same time.
The only drawback to this setup is that I then have to use the delay in the Micro, which is mono, and if I go into the guitar input on the Minis, I can then turn off the delay in the Micro and set the Minis for two different delay times to get a little stereo ping pong delay.
So, I told him- "You're never getting this back. Even if you take your guitars back, I'm never letting it go!"
This is a very very good sounding little box, especially considering its reasonable price, and I'm not put off by the settings, as it's very easy to remember what color is what setting on each of the four up/down buttons.
It's so good that I have a new found enthusiasm for playing that I haven't for a couple of years or more. Fender has hit another home run, for sound and value! Good stuff.
2022-06-16 (11).png 2022-06-16 (7).png 2022-06-16 (6).png 2022-06-16 (10).png

Last edited:

SubSailer671

Squier Talk Member
‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
Jul 4, 2019
Ohio, United States
I'm with you Doug!

Some time ago you recommended a Fishman Loudbox Mini as an acoustic amp. I have found that it is an excellent platform for the Fender Mustang Micro that I have. Like you with the minis, I run it into the auxiliary input. Sounds great. I also like it into an Oontz Angle 3 bluetooth speaker (wired connection).

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
I'm with you Doug!

Some time ago you recommended a Fishman Loudbox Mini as an acoustic amp. I have found that it is an excellent platform for the Fender Mustang Micro that I have. Like you with the minis, I run it into the auxiliary input. Sounds great. I also like it into an Oontz Angle 3 bluetooth speaker (wired connection).
At the store where I worked, the amp room was way in the back where I couldn't see the front door, but the Loudbox Mini was in the acoustic room, right behind the front counter, so when there were no customers in the store I could plug an electric into it and jam and still see the front when a customer came in. I would bring a mini overdrive pedal and 9V adapter for it to work with me, and when it wasn't busy I'd grab the gorgeous CS bound Surf Green non-relic'd Tele that was there on consignment and plug it into the pedal and then into the instrument input on the Fishman, and it sounded awesome! It was a bit bright, but if I turned the treble on the amp down a little, then it was fantastic. In some ways it was even more detailed and articulate than a standard electric guitar amp, so much so that i considered buying the Loudbox Mini to use at home for electric guitar, but that never happened.

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
Still waiting for a gig worthy version worth longer battery life, that uses the Tone app, and can give you a setlist like a Mustang.

That and my Acoustasonic Jazzmaster would be all I’d need for playing out.
They should use the same digital engine to make a gig ready floor or desktop processor with more controls and settings available, similar to the ones from Boss, Zoom, Line 6, and others. Fender has never made a product like that

Last edited:

radiotech

Squier-Axpert
Apr 23, 2014
Freedonia
They should use the same digital engine to make a gig ready floor or desktop processor with more controls and settings available, similar to the ones from Boss, Zoom, Line 6, and others. Fender has never made a product like that
They DID have the Mustang Floor, but dropped it after the original Mustang line. I had one, probably should have kept it, but I ditched it before Remuda came out (android Mustang III/IV/V/Floor interface).

Tele-kitty

Squier-Nut
Dec 12, 2016
Florida
It’s a great little gadget isn’t it? Grats !
I use mine a ton, probably more than I should but its just so handy and sounds really good to me.

The controls you get used to as you figure your fav models out. I have no problems with them now, like anything you learn the new piece of gear. ;)

I use mine either on the end of my pedalboard or into my JBL bluetooth stereo speaker. Headphones only occasionally.

It has a panning delay that works in stereo, very last setting..the 2290. It ping pongs back and forth.
I really hope they expand in the micro, best bit of gear they’ve came up with in awhile imo.

Enjoy!

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
It’s a great little gadget isn’t it? Grats !
I use mine a ton, probably more than I should but its just so handy and sounds really good to me.

The controls you get used to as you figure your fav models out. I have no problems with them now, like anything you learn the new piece of gear. ;)

I use mine either on the end of my pedalboard or into my JBL bluetooth stereo speaker. Headphones only occasionally.

It has a panning delay that works in stereo, very last setting..the 2290. It ping pongs back and forth.
I really hope they expand in the micro, best bit of gear they’ve came up with in awhile imo.

Enjoy!
Thanks for that info. So, I can use that delay setting, and get a pair of RCA to mono 3.5mm adapters, and then use those with one of my 3.5mm to stereo RCA cables into my two Kat Minis to get stereo delay

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
Before I got the Micro, I was thinking of getting the Mooer PE100, 'cause it sounds great, and it's only $70 on Amazon. I'm still thinking about it, 'cause it's hard to resist a new toy that sounds this good for only $70! It's got tons of sounds and effects, and even has a drum machine. There's 7 amp models, 10 ODs and distortions, 11 modulation effects, 5 delays, 4 reverbs, 2 auto wahs, 200 presets, 100 factory ones and 100 user ones, 40 drum patterns and 10 metronomes

shingh2002

Squier-holic
Sep 30, 2020
UK
I’ll plug mine into my computer speakers every now and then for midnight office play. The stereo effects come through in the 2.1 surround speakers too and there’s a good thump through the subwoofer. Surprisingly, I actually enjoy the metal tone through the speakers (rather than with headphones).

It really is one of the best pieces of gear I own.

Hadronic Spin

Affinity Rulez!
Jan 27, 2021
Los Angeles
Before I got the Micro, I was thinking of getting the Mooer PE100, 'cause it sounds great, and it's only $70 on Amazon. I'm still thinking about it, 'cause it's hard to resist a new toy that sounds this good for only $70! It's got tons of sounds and effects, and even has a drum machine. There's 7 amp models, 10 ODs and distortions, 11 modulation effects, 5 delays, 4 reverbs, 2 auto wahs, 200 presets, 100 factory ones and 100 user ones, 40 drum patterns and 10 metronomes

Currently $88 at Amazon...

Walmart list some around $62.

Jason

Just an update on the Mooer PE100:

As of right now, Amazon has it for $55.

Jason

Latest posts