Lowest Action

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by Charvel Guy, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Charvel Guy

Charvel Guy Squier Talker

Jul 11, 2018
    Texas
    What is the lowest action that you have been able to get out of your Squier?

Hadronic Spin likes this.
  2. DrewB

DrewB Squier-Meister

Jan 3, 2020
    Independence, MO
    A little less than 1/16" without fretwork

3. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    Never have measured my action. I just set both E strings as low as they’ll go without buzzing then put the radius gauge on and set the rest.

fattboyzz, wickedtools, Hugh and 4 others like this.
  4. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    I'd reckon not all Squiers will be the same. I can get my Affinity Jazzmaster much lower than my CV Jag, the Jag has notes fret out at a certain point. Which kinda makes sense since the Jag has a more round fretboard radius, and the bridge doesn't have independently adjustable saddle height.

Charvel Guy and Kinnon09 like this.
  5. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I never measure anything. I just lower all the saddles until they start to buzz and then raise them just a little. And, I've found that I like a straight neck with no relief. That allows lower action without buzzing on the upper frets above the 12th, where I spend most of my time noodling.

6. HarryR

HarryR Squier Talker

Feb 2, 2021
    Cincinnati
    Around 0.060 on both sides and the use a radius gauge.

Charvel Guy likes this.
  7. Charvel Guy

Charvel Guy Squier Talker

Jul 11, 2018
    Texas
    I was curious because I really like low action even though I am a rhythm player. The action on my JM is just too high for my liking, even with a 12" radius, and I was considering having it plek'ed. I checked the frets with a rocker and they seem pretty good for the most part, with only a few minor high spots but I still can't get the strings low enough without buzz/choking out. Maybe I'll try to level and re-crown the problem areas first since the nearest plek machine is 2 hours away.

8. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    If your neck is straight and the frets are level the action can be lower, but it's not always necessarily best when it's lowest.

Caddy and Hadronic Spin like this.
  9. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

I've never measured the action on any of my guitars. During setup I adjust action per string to do what I want. That's it.

Low is not a goal for me. Being able to play without too much rattle is a goal. That ends up being somewhat high on my Teles, given the way I play.

Caddy, Hadronic Spin and Steve1961 like this.
  10. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-holic

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I do measure mine to start. 4/64ths at the 17th fret with 0.010" relief at the 8th. Seems to work well as I dont like any lower than that . It seem hard to bend strings for me any lower

Robb, Caddy and Hadronic Spin like this.
  11. Paulie walnuts

Paulie walnuts Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2021
    Scotland
    I've not measured it, but I can get the action pretty low on my mustang, I think the 12 radius fretboard helps. On my affinity strat, I will get a little buzzing once it gets low. I'm not sure how much of that is to do with the less flat fret board, or the fact that it's a second hand guitar that's over a decade old and the frets are a little lower down, I'm not sure how much by wear, or perhaps they were smaller originally, but I cant get the action quite as low. I do prefer it quite low, but I also find that I quite quickly become accustomed to whatever height I have it at.

12. aa789

aa789 New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    Maryland
    I've read a lot about factory spec on my Fenders and Gibsons, but I always end up needing more than 0.010" (closer to 0.015 - .018) relief and a little higher action . It's not about feel and a straight neck is good in theory - I just really don't like buzz around frets 2-4 (I use 10 gauge strings). My Tele has action at 17th fret at 5/64 (low E) and then down to 4/64" (high E). I've always wondered if I have less tolerance for buzz than others or what.

I don't understand folks who don't measure these things. Half the fun is messing around!

13. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

Have never measured, just go with what's comfortable and still sounds good. Adjust away to your heart's content, it's your guitar....I mean, am sure you might not like my action, I might not like like yours, but it's all good as long as it works for you....I don't make a habit of playing other folks' guitars

Hadronic Spin likes this.
  14. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My playing style is best served by a guitar whose action not super low. And how low varies guitar to guitar and string type/weight to string type/weight changing over time as my playing style and technique morphs.

"Low" is to some the Holy Grail. Such has been said and such they have heard endlessly.

But whether such is actually an advantage, or in fact a disadvantage, to their playing prowess is a question that may for many remain unasked and thus unanswered.

-don

15. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I don't like the action too low. I prefer it a little higher. In my experience the guitar will sound better with it a little higher. I know it depends on the guitar.

Robb, Caddy and Hadronic Spin like this.
  16. Doc538

Doc538 Squier Talker

Jan 23, 2021
    Ma
    I use a height gauge that has a line but no numbers for fast easy no squint action settings :) At the nut I try for .006 - .010. It's funny I have only measured heights for a couple of years. For the 54 odd years before that I Never even thought about it.

duceditor likes this.
  17. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I don't really measure the height. I can feel where I like it. But you got to make sure it's cut rite at the nut and don't want to go too high unless your just going to use a slide.

18. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I like it as low as possible. Don't measure because I use my ears, not my eyes, to check for fret buzz. If I hear it, I raise the string.
    I WILL use Fender's "suggestion" measurements for pickup height as a starting point and then earball it from there.

TimTheViking and fadetoz like this.
  19. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I do the same as far as listen for fret buzz and check for it fretting out on bends.

20. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Mine all differ even though i use the same way to set the action.
    Capo on the 1st fret, credit card taped on the 15th fret, lower all the strings til they buzz on the CC then back them off til they dont.

grizzlewulf and duceditor like this.