Lost Jimi 50 years ago today - 9/18/70

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by IronSchef, Sep 18, 2020.

1. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier Double Platinum Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
  2. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    Greatest guitarist to ever grace this planet. Man what music we missed with his early departure :(

Makes his music all that more beautiful and powerful ;)

3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    For some of us back then was a critical moment.

It was for me. Jimi's loss then being the latest -- some far closer to me -- among rock and rollers 'taken out' by a culture that had for me turned sour.

His loss -- the loss of his immense talent -- was immeasurable. And felt deeply in the music community.

Being married to a fellow rock musician, and having just starting a family of our own, we took the pain and turned it into action. Made a rather complete change of scene.

Friends, though, still continued to die. All for us part of the great loss that saw its zenith in Jimi's death.

There is "great." And then there was Jimi.

Now I remember him solely for his music. And miss him still.

-don

4. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    The 2 filmed sets from 7/30/1970 in Maui that were partially seen in the movie Rainbow Bridge have been cleaned up, remastered, and will be released on CD & BluRay on 20th of November this year! I've had versions of some of it on cassette tape for years now, and it's always been a favorite.

Kenneth Mountain and IronSchef like this.
  5. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
  6. Ken Rose

Ken Rose Squier-holic

Sep 23, 2010
    Northern California
    He'll live forever, through fellow musicians. My Dad's favorite artist of all time.

7. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
  8. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Jimi was really something. In 1967 I was 9 years old, buying my first Jimi Hendrix Experience album - Axis, Bold As Love. My guitar teacher had already turned me on to Wes Montogomery and Herb Ellis, played some of those recordings for me, pointed me toward listening to keys and horns. He made it important to listen to everything, to hear how it was played. I'd heard The Jimi Hendrix Experience on the radio and liked the songs and the way they were played. Axis had just hit the record stores and was too new for AM radio but College FM stations were playing cuts from it. Right off the bat this was not really a rock record.

Jimi was playing the same kinds of chord voicings as the jazz guys. He played rhythm like what I heard on the Wilson Pickett and Aretha Franklin hits from AM radio. He played stuff that sounded bluesy but it wasn't quite blues. Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell were playing together way more cohesively and intricately in such a way that surpassed the straight 4/4 time.... sometimes Noel's part was the melody line and Jimi's part was the anchor line.... but coolest of all, the way that rhythm section worked together, left the spaces open, and if the tune needed it here was a guitar player that could easily do a full chord vibrato right on the fingerboard. All three of these guys played their A$$e$ off and you could hear everything they were doing, crystal clear. I was hooked.

The next huge breakthrough for me was Band Of Gypsies..... another amazing example of how a killer rhythm section makes a guitar player take a deep breath and dare to take that ride..... all three of them, Buddy Miles, Billy Cox and Jimi just going for it.... and again, plenty of space, you could hear everything they were playing, crystal clear.

We'll never get another one quite like this guy. It'll take another comet.

9. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    This thread has gotten me thinking. About the wonder of a truly creative mind for one.

Now Jimi's sound, his voicings -- all that made him unique -- is out there. It exists.

Yes we still wonder at it.

But fifty plus years ago it did not exist. It came out of one man's mind and entered the world.

You younger players can, and most I suspect do, appreciate its musicality. Its genius. But you cannot know what it was like to hear it for the first time.

I've read that such was so with Beethoven's Eroica -- his Symphony #3. How a world came into existence with its "being.' For it was something that never existed before. Something truly new.

To have been alive at that time -- to have heard it afresh was something special. A true gift given by one man to the world.

Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.

Another thing I have been thinking about is... fifty years.

That once seemed a long, long, time. But now it to me just yesterday.

That, too, is a gift. To see the meaning of time change.

Oh, the wonder of it all! Of life!

-don

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Like alot of great guitarists ,he took the technology of the time he was in and used it.

He just took it to another level !

11. Ken Rose

Ken Rose Squier-holic

Sep 23, 2010
    Northern California
    I wonder how he would have used today’s tech in his tone.

12. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The Sg't. Pepper's album was another one of those epiphany moments, and it was for Jimi too, because he performed that song in one of his earliest filmed gigs in London, two days after the record was released. And, as great as Are You Experienced and Axis were, IMO it was Electric Ladyland where he really took it to the next level, especially sides 3 and 4.

13. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Yes, it's all of this and more.... Jimi went home 50 years ago. This man was indeed a very singular force, not playing like any of the other guitar players out there. I truly believe that Jimi's style of playing was totally a product of all of his gigs on the chitlin circuit, grinding it out every night, being the back up guy in the show bands..... and then being able to 'burn on command' when the front man points. Even today, the showmanship and stagecraft of the R&B and Blues bands playing all the clubs on the circuit then is still legendary. When you think of James Brown and the JBs, Wilson Pickett, Jimmy James and the Blue Flames, BB King, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters..... Jimi Hendrix was another road dog born of this same experience. He gets hooked up with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell, two guys with rock energy and jazz sensibilities and all bets are off. That band made absolutely no effort to sound like anybody else.

There's a reason The Jimi Hendrix Experience was kicked off The Monkees Tour. They just weren't quite suited for 'holding back' and behaving like a warm up act.

Quite a few of us were 50 once. To hear it for the first time on the radio, to buy that record and put it on the turntable right away, or to be lucky enough to have seen it and heard it ..... and to be alive long enough to appreciate our own youth and everything we've brought forward. Yes indeed, Don, you are correct sir!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  14. ChinaCatSunflower

ChinaCatSunflower Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2018
    USA
    WTF !!?? Jimi's dead? I was just listening to him... Sheesh.

Chubbles and VM51SQ like this.
  15. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    As you well know, you can't just believe everything you see and hear.
    Can you?
    Now if you'll excuse me,
    I must be
    On my way.....

wonkenstein likes this.
  16. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Jimi is, and will always be the Bar, and the Standard, 4 ever. A good documentary on Jimi called the Last 24hrs. It appears his estranged manager had him whacked. I'm serious. A must Hendrix film to watch. It will make you think, you be the judge. Over 2.2 million views.

17. ChinaCatSunflower

ChinaCatSunflower Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2018
    USA
    261539-1dae5e100d337840b8e8ad02f995d033.jpg
    Yep, it was a great loss to the world when he perished on that ill-fated Apollo 13 mission. ;)

18. szombat62

szombat62 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2015
    Rotherham, S Yorkshire UK
    Don’s post earlier about hearing it for the first time when there was nothing else like it - now it’s more known the electric guitar and the techniques and equipment have all moved on in the intervening 50 years. He did all this with a vintage Strat and minimal pedals and a Marshall stack. I wonder what he would do with all the stuff available now. How would he have gone, what would he have become.....truly a genius and never surpassed!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  19. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Is this true? Please let me talk to you....

20. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Up From the Skies and If 6 Was 9 I think were the two songs of Axis that got the most late night FM airplay, too.