Lost intrest in blues and rock... Getting along with hip hop music

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Blues256, Jul 4, 2020.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    He was a real smart guy.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Listen to what you like.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Glad You guys understand it. I will appericate all the new music

MrYeats and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've been off the Black Metal wagon for a bit lately. I love it, but nothing new.

Been listening to some classic rock. I seem to like it a lot more than when I was younger. I'm gonna dig deeper to find those 70's hidden gems.

5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    And then there's the `60s. -Not just the BIG stuff everyone knows, but som little stuff that can in somee cases be even better. And then the `50s -- maybe even before Rock Around the Clock. And on and on like riding a time machine.

What fun! What discoveries there are awaiting! :)

-don

Eddie, Black Strat and MrYeats like this.
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    The Animals, Free, Savoy Brown..Allman Brothers..a few suggestions.

7. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Zepplin, Bad Co, BTO, Molly Hatchett, Deep Purple, The Guess Who, War,...oh so many musicians with great music.

In blues, all three Kings, Muddy Waters, Lightnin' Hopkins, Albert Collins, T-Bone Walker, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon and dozens more.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    radiotech and Eddie like this.
  8. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    TBH, sometimes after hearing a lot of a particular genre kinda makes me bored of it. It's quite odd, but mainly with Trash or Hair Metal, sometimes I listen to a track I used to love and play on repeat over and over and think "wow, did I really loved this that much?"... It's hard not to make this have a negative connotation, just that it doesn't really seem to have the same appeal. Particularly true when I'm a lot more aware of the fads and not so original traits some of these tracks/bands suffer from and the fact that I didn't really lived through that, rather found all that music at some point in my youth and enjoyed it for that period.

While this applies to bands that though I still enjoy and appreciate, I no longer find myself listening to their discography over and over, I also notice this regarding new bands or new findings of older music I may come across. Today, a friend of mine showed me a band of Symphonic Doom Metal I didn't knew about, I haven't really been into that type of music for a good while, but it did felt refreshing and something out of what I used to hear inside that genre - it didn't made me want to go back to the Draconian albums I used to hear in my teens, though. In short, I often find my tastes evolving and becoming interested on new things, plus in a lot of cases, it's particularly noticeable in Metal subgenres that it becomes harder to find something that feels truly unique and refreshing, most bands seem to keep the same thing spinning rather than reinventing the wheel, so to speak.

While Hip-Hop really isn't my thing, it influences a lot a music genre I've had a growing interest on: Lo-Fi (a common base premise is the blend of Jazz progressions with Hip-Hop beats).

This one's a very popular track in that style my ex-girlfriend had showed me:

Dreampop and Indie have been what I've been listening to the most lately. Funny I first got to learn about Shoegaze/Dreampop thanks to a new member of this forums I haven't seen ever since... Fun things! Here's a new release of one of the bands I've been listening to the most:

Finally, the whole 80s revival is quite a curious rabbit hole I keep finding myself dragged onto. While there are many bands and artists composing new material under that premise, here's an amazing remix of the Japanese 80s pop classic Plastic Love, turned into an 80s dance/pop fantasy:

I guess I couldn't have shared a more random selection of songs! Just to showcase how much fun it can be to be open to new stuff. :)

Eddie likes this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    This also means I'm gonna stop with the insane, high gain metal guitars.

gearobsessed, MrYeats and Black Strat like this.
  10. Black Strat

Black Strat Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2014
    Virginia
    I like a lot of newer positive pop, Billie Eyelash, Bruno Mars, dance music! Makes me feel wonderful! And YOUNG! Makes me dance in the kitchen when I'm making coffee! When depressed, some rock and Blues classics

duceditor and Eddie like this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

When my students ask me why I listen to metal, I tell them it's therapy. When I have a bad day at school, I bang my head repeatedly into the steering wheel while driving home listening to Black Metal. Makes me feel much better. :)

mofojar and Viking like this.
  12. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    John Lee Hooker is my favorite...

13. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    He was on the tip of my tongue, I just could not pull up the name. I've wanted a John Lee Hooker Epiphone Signature since I first saw it. Kind of a red/maroon burst. And generally, I don't care for signature models.

Eddie likes this.
  14. Lost intrest in blues and rock...
    Sorry bud, you lost me there ... other than it's spelled, interest.

Cheers, Barrie.

Viking and MrYeats like this.
  15. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    And its there that I have always found myself you might say "listening to other ststions." To live a life that would make me depressed or frustrated - and to need the arts to escape my daily existence . Or, worse, drink or drugs.

Nope! Nope! Nope! I'd first change course; change the basics. Be something else, be somewhere else. Leave the madness (and the ugliness) behind.

But that's why I have ALWAYS been an outsider. And still cannot even understand that other way of thinking and living.

From where I stand much of the world has been led to madness.

But yeah, that's just me.

"Hip hop". ? That's what life is about? That's the best we can do?

-don

MrYeats likes this.
  16. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I don't mind which kind of music a person likes or doesn't like and play. I just don't think it is fair for the Boomers to have it so loud in their cars that everybody has to hear it, that irritates me and a lot of others...Have they heard of headphones?

duceditor likes this.
  17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    You never know when a genre is going to hit you, sometimes it’s just one artist that tips you in, other times it’s being at someone’s house and hearing their playlist...

As a kid in northern MN in the late ‘60’s, I heard a lot of country, it was the soundtrack of that time, and place... stores, bars (had separate family rooms), roller skating, etc... even though it wasn’t playing at home (six siblings fighting over the RCA console made sure of that), country was unavoidable. The only TV station we got reception on... on Saturday nights showed double episodes of Hee Haw.

For years, even into adulthood I couldn’t tolerate Johnny Cash, Hank Sr, Loretta Lynn, or the like... I’d change stations faster than Clint Eastwood pulling a gun in a Spaghetti Western.

In my 40’s, I was sitting in a neighbors yard, he had his iPod loaded up with all kinds of music, and the occasional Cash, Lynn, or Hank (Jr, and Sr) would come on... since I wasn’t in control of the music, I didn’t even think about asking him to skip the songs... indeed, I found my toe tapping, and occasionally humming/singing along. I didn’t jump into country, but I found the truly timeless songs no longer offended my now middle aged tastes.

At the time, Rick Rubin was producing the first of his albums with Cash, which I did not hear until about 5 years ago. I was flabbergasted when I heard Cash’s take on “In my life, I won’t back down, and (of course) Hurt”. All seemed relevant, and powerful to me... but because of the modern methods of music distribution... I never heard them until then (even though in the top 40 in 2003, I heard Hurt for the first time in a pub in 2015). I haven’t “jumped” into country since then, but I have expanded my musical horizons because of it. I don’t care for a lot of modern country, but there no denying I like music that’s inspired by the genre (even the Beatles used many a country music method in their songs). I always liked country-ish artists (John Hiatt, Nick Lowe, and Steve Earle), and have even gone to see some up and comers (Nikki Lane, great show, and met her on my way back to my car after the dinner I had after the show).

You never know what music genre (or when) is going to hit you, the thing is to be open to it when it does.

MrYeats and Blues256 like this.
  18. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    If it feels good, do it. Some of the metal I was into in the 80s , not liking so much today. Some judas priest songs I thought were the best, dont do much for me today... I definitely can agree with you. I guess we mature as we evolve.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Blues256 and MrYeats like this.
  19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Do what you want with music, it's your call. Doubting that is the only 'bad' thing you could do, not being true to one's self.

I love hip-hop, and especially conscious hip-hop. Atmosphere, yes. Evidence, yes. Mos Def, yep, Talib Kweli, yes. Oddisee, Immortal Technique, Common, Aesop Rock, The Roots...etc. See I don't need to choose one or the other, I listen to all. I play twang/surf/rock/space/noise and have no problems with keeping the guitar around for anything. Several guitar, several amps. I don't want to be an MC or be a turntablist but I can hack out a few rockabilly jams, it's fine, life goes on :)

MrYeats and Blues256 like this.
  20. SquierFreak

SquierFreak Squier Talker

Oct 24, 2015
    Chuck Klosterman can lick my a-s.

MrYeats likes this.