Looks like used prices are coming back down to earth

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by TeleSi, Oct 16, 2020.

1. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    FB Marketplace and Craigslist. Used to use Letgo as well but it got bought out by Offer up and its too much like Ebay now and local ads just get buried in the mix.

campermoose and fattboyzz like this.
  2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I've got the same 4 listed here listed on both of those and a local ga sight too .

Crickets :(

3. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
  4. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Yes currently saw a classic vibe 50s strat fiesta red maple/maple gougious.... $197. G.c. says fair cond but looked nice. And was going back in there for a standard stray blonde maple/maple. $112 gone of course

5. TeleSi

TeleSi Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2020
    Florida
    Eddie likes this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Too funny. "I'm selling a fake Fender. No scammers !!!"

ha ha ha

campermoose likes this.
  7. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier Talker

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    "converted it into a fender"

8. campermoose

campermoose Squier-Meister

Apr 22, 2020
    NYC
    Sounds like a guy on the forum from few weeks ago, he was asking if anybody would be interested in something exactly like this.
    The thread got shot down of course.

drewcp likes this.
  9. Fret Cheese

Fret Cheese Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2016
    Bordeaux
    Because great tone is all in the logo

10. late2guitar

late2guitar Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Middle Tennessee
    I remember him. He'd modded the guitar with a fender logo and, boy did he get jumped.

campermoose likes this.
  11. TeleSi

TeleSi Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2020
    Florida
    The standard strat that started the post was dropped to $100 this morning...

drewcp likes this.
  12. campermoose

campermoose Squier-Meister

Apr 22, 2020
    NYC
    Rightly so, it started innocently enough, but he kept pushing against all criticism with only one argument "Squier = Fender" :D

13. afireinside7444

afireinside7444 New Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Michigan
    Only thing i grabbed is a 2014 stock Ibanez RG655 Prestige cobalt blue w its OHSC and accessories for $500 last week. Amazing player! And found a silverface 70s vibro champ thats in transit for $500

14. Nduro

Nduro Squier Talker

Oct 17, 2020
    Poland
    good price for rg655, in my basket there are no used ones, and they are new from 1500 $

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Nut

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    Something happened about a year ago (or so) that has helped prices to rise--GC established a central pricing strategy for most used items. It used to be handled in store, based on brief research of Reverb, CL, etc. by the clerks.

Now, they enter the model into the computer and are told the current buy for and sell for prices. These rise and fall with whatever metrics the system is using, but the 'whim' of the clerk no longer enters into it. I didn't know this until a clerk actually told me that's how it is now.

So...really good used deals there have dried up, and their higher-end of the spectrum used pricing have served to drive up the general market. See examples (probably not current) like Gretsch 5420s at GC used across the country all curiously priced at $594.55. Why the 55 cents?

I brought an Epi Hummingbird I paid $125 for in for store credit, was told $114 after clerk looked at computer. I said no, but decided a month later to do it. This time they gave me $134. Clerk confirmed it had to do with available stock across the chain and the pricing they would set at time of sale.

So when consumers are looking for a 'fair' price, they research and see GCs new pricing, based on Reverb info. Some will pay what GC is leading, others not.

But there are buyers who 'remember the good old days' and refuse to consider anything but their own anecdotal evidence, because they don't understand that the market changes. Was selling a mint 2009 blonde CV tele, and FB maketplace user told me 300 was too high, he never pays that much. Told me I had no idea of market, and should sell to him for 250.

I linked him to Reverb's price guide of historical sales for the model, showing that in the last 18 months, only one--EVER--had sold for less than 300, and that was 275. I told him in fact I did know the market, but was nice about it. He blocked my convo. Later that day someone contacted me and paid 300 without a quibble.

I remember buying MIM teles for 200-250 all day long. But those days are gone.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020