Looking for Opinions on Agile Humbuckers

Oldguitarguy

Squier-holic
Mar 2, 2019
Nj
I have two Agile Les Pauls (Al2500 and LP2500) with original pickups and they are my favorite guitars for tone and sustain. I’ve been seeing used Agile humbuckers for sale periodically for really low prices. Thinking about picking some up for projects. Any opinions/thoughts on these PUPs supplied in Agile LP’s in general? I know that I should play and use what I like, personal preference etc, but just trying to find out if I am lucky to find them cheap, in the majority or minority of opinions, what others think, or it highly depends on the year or model. I already grabbed a set off a baritone LP but see others from time to time. PS- I really like all the GM HB’s I’ve tried too. Thanks.

fuelish

Squier-holic
Jun 20, 2015
south of Knox Vegas TN
Have never played an Agile, but they're likely as good as the "57 Classics or whatever Epi calls them in my old Epi LP.....they're OK.....but am STILL considering throwing in some humbucker sized P90s eventually,,,,,have come to the realization after all these decades and come full circle, that I prefer single coils overall.....still leaves me with a Thinline with humbckers and a HSS Bullet Strat...that's enough 'bucking around here

dbrian66

Dr. Squier
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA
I have never had an Agile with humbuckers. Both of mine have P90’s. But most reviews I have read about them is that they are just ok. Nothing special. I think a lot of people tend to replace them with what they consider an upgrade. Lucky for you, that means there are normally used sets of them available for very low prices. If you like the ones you have, buy another set and put them in something besides an Agile. See if it’s the guitar or the pickups that you really like.

Zipslack

Squier Talker
Jan 7, 2018
Brookhaven, MS, USA
The old, un-marked ones are A5 "PAF" style and are pretty nice. A few years back they switched to G&B pickups that have a different tone (like the PRS SE pickups).

I kept my 3010SE stock pickups and just re-wired to 50's style. I still have a set and harness that I bought used in case I ever feel like updating my old Ibanez AF75.

Oldguitarguy

Squier-holic
Mar 2, 2019
Nj
Just picked a pair of Agile AL3100 and a pair of Al2000 pickups on Reverb. The Al3100 are supposed to be A5’s, the 2000’s ceramic. Hoping I like them as much as the Pups in my Agile LP’s. There are probably going in an Epi LP and an Epi SG.

treywilliams

Squier Talker
Jan 23, 2022
Usa
Have never played an Agile, but they're likely as good as the "57 Classics or whatever Epi calls them in my old Epi LP.....they're OK.....but am STILL considering throwing in some humbucker sized P90s eventually,,,,,have come to the realization after all these decades and come full circle, that I prefer single coils overall.....still leaves me with a Thinline with humbckers and a HSS Bullet Strat...that's enough 'bucking around here

question for you,, which I’m trying to figure out how to post to group ,
I’m thinking about putting lollar imperial in bridge of my 87 bullet. Being only one volume and tone, did you have issues wiring or was yours made like that and bought. ?
Thanks

Angry Possum

Obsessed With Music & Guitars
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 30, 2019
Squier Island NY
I have two Agile Les Pauls (Al2500 and LP2500) with original pickups and they are my favorite guitars for tone and sustain. I’ve been seeing used Agile humbuckers for sale periodically for really low prices. Thinking about picking some up for projects. Any opinions/thoughts on these PUPs supplied in Agile LP’s in general? I know that I should play and use what I like, personal preference etc, but just trying to find out if I am lucky to find them cheap, in the majority or minority of opinions, what others think, or it highly depends on the year or model. I already grabbed a set off a baritone LP but see others from time to time. PS- I really like all the GM HB’s I’ve tried too. Thanks.

I'd look into Donlis Pickups. They are very affordable and I will bet money that's what Agiles use in their Guitars. Don't quote me on that. But I don't think Agile makes their own pickups, they probably use Donlis Pickups. Donlis Pickups are really decent and quite affordable.

littlebadboy

Squier-Nut
Jul 13, 2018
USA
For me, if you're swapping out pickups on an affordable priced range guitar you really like, treat your beast with good pickups! Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Bareknuckles, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love the GMs on my project guitars.

The only Agile I have now is a Geodesic fan fret headless. I like the stock pickups on it as they are articulate enough for me. I have a few qualms about the build quality though.

Last edited:

dbrian66

Dr. Squier
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA
@crowtee

Where did you get the A2 magnets to swap? How do you do the swap? Once I take off the covers, then what? Would like to try. Thanks.
I bought magnets from these people before. They are real good people to deal with. Mine was on a P90 pickup and that was real easy. Just loosen the screws that hold the pickup together and slide out the old magnets. Never done a humbucker before, but I assume it’s very similar. Check out YouTube. I’m sure there is a video to show you how.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bar-magnets/

fuelish

Squier-holic
Jun 20, 2015
south of Knox Vegas TN
question for you,, which I’m trying to figure out how to post to group ,
I’m thinking about putting lollar imperial in bridge of my 87 bullet. Being only one volume and tone, did you have issues wiring or was yours made like that and bought. ?
Thanks
Wish I could help, all mine are as is from the factory, other than the jumper wire I added to the Squier Strat for the one tone control to work on both neck and bridge......great cheap, easy mod

Oldguitarguy

Squier-holic
Mar 2, 2019
Nj
I bought magnets from these people before. They are real good people to deal with. Mine was on a P90 pickup and that was real easy. Just loosen the screws that hold the pickup together and slide out the old magnets. Never done a humbucker before, but I assume it’s very similar. Check out YouTube. I’m sure there is a video to show you how.

Looks like a good price too. Thanks!

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
I have a 2012 Agile AL-3010SE and I love it as is, it sounds so remarkably similar to the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates that I ended up putting the stock pups back in and stuck the real Pearlys in another guitar!

2012 Agile AL-3010SE in Rondo's HSC.
Agile_AL3010SE-FF1-ZC(2000x4000).jpg

A better pic of guitar itself.
Agile_AL3010SE-FF2-RZC(2000x4000).jpg
The flame is sensitive to viewing angle.

Oldguitarguy

Squier-holic
Mar 2, 2019
Nj
I have a 2012 Agile AL-3010SE and I love it as is, it sounds so remarkably similar to the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates that I ended up putting the stock pups back in and stuck the real Pearlys in another guitar!

2012 Agile AL-3010SE in Rondo's HSC.
View attachment 224549

A better pic of guitar itself.
View attachment 224551
The flame is sensitive to viewing angle.
That’s a beauty! Love the builds on Agiles.

fattboyzz

Dr. Squier
Nov 29, 2017
Newnan ,Ga.

Humbuckers are easy as well.
Loosen the screws.
Slide out and then back in keeping the magnet oriented the same way.