Looking for a good "as-is" Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Poor Richard, Jun 5, 2021.

1. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    CP50s

sccCP50.png

Much nicer than a MIM Standard, but more expensive.

driver8, Kinnon09 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  2. Poor Richard

Poor Richard Squier Talker

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    What makes it "much nicer"?

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Alnico V Fender 57/62 pickups, better bridge, tuners, and vintage inspired specs......it sold for $200 or so more than the Standard....

Kinnon09, driver8 and beagle like this.
  4. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Meister

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    Those pickups were what was used on Yellow Ledbetter iirc. To give an idea of their tone.

5. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I believe that's Mike McCready's original 1959 Strat and pickups - but those era original pickups are what inspired the 57/62's - they reversed engineered it from a vintage Fender pickup.....

Kinnon09 likes this.
  6. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    The quality.

I've owned both, there's no comparison.

Kinnon09, driver8 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  7. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Meister

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    Pretty sure it was recorded 1992/93 so it would have been his MIJ '62 Reissue. I read that he used the custom shop pickups in that guitar. You could be right though but I dont think he had the '59 yet.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    My mistake, it's a 1960 he bought in 1992, Fender Custom Shop re-created it...fairly sure that's the one....

I've never seen him have an MIJ except for a big headstock ST-68 or ST-72.....but I'm not an expert....

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/ser...-rosewood-fingerboard-faded-3-color-sunburst/

TurtleFang and BobWithOneO like this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Grab a full thickness Squier: SE, NC, YN, Standard. These are available for around a c-note. Then do the minor tweaks to make it your own.

Kinnon09, Nortally and Stillhouse like this.
  10. Viking

Viking Squier-Meister ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Apr 10, 2010
    Winnipeg,Mb Canada
    Maybe you should take up drums.:D

MLHull, Nortally and mbroadus like this.
  11. Nortally

Nortally Squier Talker

Mar 7, 2018
    Berkeley, CA
    I picked up a "strat pack" Squier a few years ago. Chinese made w/no serial # but it had a full dimension body (routed HSH although it came SSS). A sweet little guitar, absolutely nothing wrong with it, fun to play. But at the time it was extra so I sold it.

My Squier 51 is a keeper, had some funky electronics when I bought it, but wasn't hard to fix. It's fun to play. The Telecaster-style neck is thin & fast.

More recently, my son-in-law gave me a Jay Turser strat he won in a contest and never played. It has a gorgeous tobacco burst body, maple neck. The body & hardware quality is certainly up there with and Squier I've seen and the body finish probably a bit better.

My go-to strat is a partscaster, the only guitar that I've built & set the neck entirely by myself. Body & hardware from Guitar Fetish, 12" radius maple neck from Strat-O-Sphere. Total cost $350-$400. Only hiccup was setting the bridge posts, 5 tries to get two posts in the right place. I'm the only one who notices the dowel ends :)

I hear a lot of people talk about "professional setup". I've never regretted learning to do this. I'm not super confident about dressing nuts, but truss-rod adjustment, action, intonation and pickup height are all within the realm of a mere mortal like myself.

drewcp likes this.
  12. Nine5114

Nine5114 Squier Talker

Jan 17, 2021
    Selangor
    there's an alternative to the Classic Player 50s. The MIM Classic Series 50s Strat. the main differences to me between the two are the bridge (CS uses 6 point trem as opposed to the 2 point in the CP). Also, the radius is 7.25 and with 'vintage-style' frets. So might be one you may want to look at too.

if i am not mistaken, the CS models are now replaced by the Vintera series so maybe that's a good place to start?

13. JB Johnson

JB Johnson New Member

Jun 9, 2021
    VietNam
    [​IMG]
    I'm buying this baby and still don't know where this comes from. Anyone can tell the country of origin please help. Apart from that, people from the guitar store say it's a "nice" guitar
    Model: Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster HSS MBK

14. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Only two countries: China or Indonesia.

drewcp likes this.
  15. JB Johnson

JB Johnson New Member

Jun 9, 2021
    VietNam
    Any clue to distinguish between the 2 countries? The Made in Indonesia guitars seem to have far more superior than the Chinese made.

16. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You already asked me in private message exactly how to tell the 2 apart....you have the answer...

A quote from the reply I sent you

"They are Made in China AND in Indonesia, they both have the hole at the headstock for adjusting the truss rod, Made in China will just be a bare wood hole like in the example you showed me, the black one with sparkle pickguard.....

Made in Indonesia will have black plastic lining the hole.....you can tell them apart this way...."

You replied to me and said you would look for the Indonesian one, so why are you asking again?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Nine5114 and drewcp like this.
  17. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

One of those is being delivered to my house today!!

18. estacadamusic

estacadamusic Squier Talker

Feb 5, 2011
    Estacada Oregon
    I went through the same delema with my guitars. I got a Squier Strat from daughter and loved it, but I got all snooty about it being just a Squier and not a real Fender so I sold it and got a MIM Strat. Well needless to say I hated it. It didn't have that slim neck like my Squier did and it was way heavier too. I kept fighting it for about 2 years and finally sold it. But I got super lucky because the guy who bought my Squier was looking for another guitar. I asked him about ithe Squire and he finally sold it back to me. I put Fender pickups and wiring on it but nothing else and it's still my number one. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

19. Nine5114

Nine5114 Squier Talker

Jan 17, 2021
    Selangor
    I learned something new today thanks. Does this applies to all Squiers or only specific model/years?

20. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    This applies about 85% of the time only for models in the last 20 years.....you can't generalize. When comparing a current Affinity Strat from China against one made in Indonesia, the truss rod sleeve is the difference. It's not always like this for all models.....

Nine5114 likes this.