Looking for a good "as-is" Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Poor Richard, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    There you go, this means you like a slightly chunky Strat neck with small vintage frets and 9.5" fretboard radius....

2. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I found that most had nasty thin flat backed D shaped necks...

3. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I would suggest just going to guitar shops and playing different models.

4. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    You Never mentioned a Starcaster MrYeats?? You gone off them??:D

5. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Most people think of Starcasters as junk. Most of those people have not ever had one, so trying to convince them of that is like trying to convince them that Maestro;s are as good as a lot of Epiphones.

6. Poor Richard

Poor Richard Squier Talker

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    I didn't know what the radius or frets were on my old Strat since I've never paid attn to specs, so thank you. Are there any current models being made with these specs?

I've found that a lot of people selling late 80s/early 90s Strats online are calling them "vintage" and upping the prices accordingly. This seems ridiculous to me because I'm almost 50 years old, but to a person in his/her twenties, I'm sure some fall for it and think they are getting something truly rare and valuable.

JurnyWannaBe and dbrian66 like this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    The only way to get small vintage frets on a Fender when you're talking new products currently for sale , is to buy one of the 'reissue' style Mexican higher end Strats. Squier and most Fender guitars all have medium jumbo or narrow tall frets these days....

anything from Fender Japan from the 80s/90s is highly sought after and priced accordingly, about $600-700-800+ ....maybe this is what you're seeing? Japanese Fender is a totally different ballgame than USA or Mexico.....

JurnyWannaBe, dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  8. Poor Richard

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    I understand about the MIJ stuff - very high-quality, legit, etc. What I'm seeing is people listing a Standard Fender MIM from the early 90s and calling it "vintage." Someone not knowing the difference is going to get ripped off.

JurnyWannaBe and Guitarmageddon like this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Buyer beware - always. I have seen people asking $1000 for a 90s MIM, but they never actually sell for that much. Usually, they're worth about $400 US used these days.....

JurnyWannaBe, MrYeats and drewcp like this.
  10. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    :D:D:D

JurnyWannaBe and MrYeats like this.
  11. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Are MIM cheap to buy in Mexico? You are lucky to get a MIM strat for under 400 pound in UK.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  12. mbroadus

mbroadus Squier-Meister

Dec 31, 2012
    jax
    You've gone through a lot of nice guitars, maybe buy a really nice tube amp?

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  13. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You can find them all the time, older ones for 400 quid or less. Even in the UK.....locally. Not so much online.

14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Learn to set them up ,then when you pick one up ,or go to buy one youll know what it takes to geterdone when you get her alone for that private massage :eek::D:D:p

15. Poor Richard

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    I've got a nice Marshall.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  16. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Squier-Meister

Dec 15, 2013
    Deep In The South Of Texas
    My Standard was a complete surprise buy. Actually went looking for a Tele at the time, but pulled this Strat off the wall and it played so nice that for $240 at the time it was a no-brainer.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  17. Poor Richard

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    I saw a pretty beat-up early 90s MIM Strat on my local CL this week for $300, which was a great deal. It was basically the bones of my old MIM build. When I messaged the guy it was already gone. Snooze/lose. Most of the MIMs I'm seeing of late are going for $450 minimum.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  18. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Meister

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    Fender American Deluxe V-neck Strat.
    I have been meaning to do a NGD for it but I'm too busy playing it. Nothing compares to a soft v-neck.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  19. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Meister

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    What about the Pro Tone Strats? Those had the narrow frets and are great guitars. I own 2.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  20. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    NY
    Classic Player 50s or Robert Cray (if you don't mind hardtail) is what you want. They have the soft-V neck which is chunkier down the middle of the back of the neck than a regular C, but not as sharp of a V as a regular V (if that is clear enough to follow). There might be other models with the soft-V also, I'm not sure. But you could also get a loaded body and then get a soft V neck separately and just attach it yourself. It's not ready-made, but it's easy enough to attach a neck.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.