Living in the country!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by dbrian66, Oct 17, 2020 at 5:44 PM.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    What's additionally a wonder, at least here in the USA, is that "country" and "rural" comes in so many flavors.

I fell in love with New Hampshire way back in the `60s. It is lush. Mountainous, but largely not in the 'jagged' sense. Softer.

(In geological age the mountains here are older)

My own town, apart from its delightful downtown area, is mostly wooded with rolling hills, brooks and smallish lakes. And indeed, apart from the lake aspect that well describes my own 29 acres.

Homes are, again, apart from the small town center, pretty spread apart. -Far enough apart that weeks can go by without my seeing a neighbor, and months without us being within speaking distance to one another. (We do, though, sometimes wave!) ;)

Yet -- and this surprises people -- we have superb restaurants, live theater, museums and galleries, plus several concert venues with music that ranges from classical symphony to folk, blues and rock.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.05.04 PM.png

Other towns, while equally rural, have a totally different feel and appearance.

We have a couple of donut shops here, but no fast food restaurants. But everything one is likely to want is here, from a real "diner" to great taven fare to esoteric higher-end eateries, as well as several amazingly good ethnic restaurants. (Thai, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese)

Yet 5 minutes away there is no hubbub at all. Birds sing, horses trot in fields, foxes run wild.

During summer the brook that runs thru my own property is quiet. But during spring thaw it moves briskly, tumbling over rocks.

Bear and moose make occasional appearances, while seeing deer and turkeys in large numbers is an almost daily affair.

Look at the window at any given tie and there's no telling who may be looking back at you! :)

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.22.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.30.29 PM.png

I suppose one could just take all this for granted, but I certainly don't. The wildlife along with the scenic beauty -- the freshness of the air and the crystal clarity of the night sky -- all of this is in my focus each and every day.

I've visited many cities, both here and abroad, and I've lived in two for extended periods (NYC during my college years, Boston for most of my working years), but my heart long gravitated to New Hampshire.

I love it always. And with the various 'issues' not being faced in more build up areas I am more thankful than ever to have had made this choice, and having for some years planned it.

Good to know that I am not alone in this.

Yes, guys. "Country" living forever!

-don

2. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Yeah, same here. Drive on this road for 3km then you get to my place.

In this little town of mine, as of the 2010 Canadian sensus, one resident out of 10 was a professional artist. The highest % in the country except for some Inuit village where it's 9 out of ten. They all sculpt.

PICT0003+.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 10:37 PM
  3. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I lived in the country a good part of my life, but now that I am old I live in a small city. I grew up in the Washington DC suburb till I was 19. I also worked in Yellowstone N.P. for 14 yrs, Town&Country

4. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
  5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Follow up
    Men: Ha ha. That's funny.
    Women: Oh that's so mean.
    :)

6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yup!

7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah, that is why is happening around here as well. They are building houses in every spot they can.

8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    @Triple Jim and @Jay Jackson , what cities did you live in? I grew up in Rockville, MD. It was very much a suburb back when I was a kid. I still work down there now and it is way closer to being a city than a suburb today.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    What passes for "planning" in Montgomery County is exactly what you describe. They would put a subdivision in the highway median if they could.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier-Meister

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    I grew up in San Francisco....I got sick of seeing it go down the tubes and moved to a "DC suburb" with some relatives. I only stayed there to keep working.

I really disliked that area......after retiring I moved to a rural region of
    PA.....our town is 'the village of...." No more crazy traffic, stupid schedules to keep and so far I haven't heard a single request for "spare change?"

11. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I've yet to have an opportunity to visit NH. Any recommendations on where to go visit?

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

I grew up and lived in North Bethesda into my 40s. When I was a little kid, Old Georgetown Rd. was a small country road, there was no Beltway, etc.. I rode my bicycle on the Beltway when they opened it for biking/hiking before it was open to traffic.

Davis Sharp and dbrian66 like this.
  13. JACK G

JACK G Squier Talker

Aug 20, 2020
    London/Essex border
    One of the things I envy about you guys in the US is the space that you can enjoy....and your never ending supply of guitars!

We live 8 miles from the centre of London so not a lot of space or country here...........but we can pretend.............

garden1.jpg garden2.jpg garden3.jpg

As compensation for lack of London space we do have a flat on the South Coast right opposite the sea so open space as far as the eye can see.

14. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Good enough for a small kick-about.

Angry Possum, dbrian66 and JACK G like this.
  15. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s beautiful!

JACK G likes this.
  16. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Well, as the oft repeated expression goes... "It all depends!"

The White Mountains are gorgeous. The Kancamagus Highway is something to behold.

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 1.00.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 1.01.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 1.01.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 1.01.22 PM.png

Then there's the world's most climbed mountain (actually tied with My. Fuji), Mount Monadnock.

Gorgeous but not difficult hiking, and -- bonus! -- near us. :)

And, depending on the appendages (NH is great for kids, but our place, sadly, isn't) we could, depending on the time, perhaps provide you a place to stay.

If you begin to seriously think of visiting NH PM me and we can talk out the possibilities in detail.

Love to meet you, Eddie!

-don

Angry Possum, dbrian66 and fattboyzz like this.
  17. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Wow! What a GORGEOUS garden!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :)

-don

18. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I grew up Just out side of collage park in Berwyn MD. before there was a beltway or I 95 or University Blvd. US 1 was 6 blocks away and the local post office was also a bank. I was close enough to Goddard space flight center to see rockets get launched before NASA became into existence. Last time I visited the area it was changed and that was 14 yrs ago. the radio station I listened too was out of Bethesda. Underground Rock.

Davis Sharp and dbrian66 like this.
  19. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

Or you have to move to somewhere that has a low cost of living, like where I am. Eddie could probably sell his NY house, get a bigger one here, and pocket several hundred thousand dollars.

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    A picture I took from the living room window a few winters ago.

Deer 2.jpg