Living in the country!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by dbrian66, Oct 17, 2020.

1. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    1C359991-9E9E-44A6-9BEC-FB3DFD25D3DB.jpeg 0F5E9DF9-5897-4431-8855-69D01998A84E.jpeg There is a herd of deer in my yard right now. I love living out here in the country!

BlueTele, Montandy, jnz84 and 32 others like this.
  2. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Growing up in Ohio we’d get whitetail in the yard all the time, and it was just a lightly wooded suburban neighborhood, not country by any means. Looks like you’ve got a nice spread out there! The most wildlife I get at my house is squirrels haha.

3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Beautiful. I live in the country too but my view is nothing like that. Enjoy the peace and quiet.

4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  5. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
  6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

Deer are beautiful animals and they come into our yard often too. My wife nursed a nearly dead abandoned baby deer back to health and took it to a local rehab guy who released it into his estate. Unfortunately they drop ticks, so if I see them in the yard I go out and chase them off. Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever are both prevalent here. I had RMSF and don't want to get it again if I can help it!

7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Same here..All farm land..Corn and beans..Lovin it...

8. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    This once city and suburbia guy in with you 100%! Nature, space, beauty and quiet. Yes!

I can (and do) make my own noise. I don't need anyone else's.

-don

9. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    I feel you, we got 15' or so of grass behind the back porch then the woods start. Took this from the porch a week or two back.
    20200902_164703.jpg
    about 5' into the woods...

10. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    That's amazing ! I only have raccoons and squirrels.

I have a quarter of an acre, and it's probably one of the biggest plots of land in NYC.

I'm really stuck in a quandry ... I'd love to move to the country, but I'd lose about 2/3rds of my salary. NYC teachers are paid pretty well.

11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah, you got to move to the country and then commute. I have about a 40 minute to an hour commute to get to work. I make decent money in Montgomery County, but I can’t afford a place like this down there.

12. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    That's the huge advantage of living in this area I'm at. Surrounded by mountains, lakes, rivers, flat desert if I want, all within 15 to 20 minutes away.

13. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Nice pics. The deer in my neighborhood hide in the trees and then try to ambush passing cars. No coincidence that we see the occasional pack of vultures.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  14. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    No deer here. We have raccoons, squirrels, opossum, mice, ants, and roaches ... and the occasional stray cat.

My daughter's cat was from a stray's litter ... born in my daughter's friends backyard shed. She said the mom never came back. But that's because the human family intervened and changed the kittens' scents. So we have a 5 month old kitten named Kyoshi. Good cat .. better than I expected. Gives me the most attention because I give it no attention. My daughter smothers it with love, and it could care less.

The funny thing about the cat is that it knows exactly the length of the tether on my Pug's leash. It'll sit exactly 1 inch away from the end of the tether. When the pup jumps up to play, the cat'll just sit there ... 1 inch away. ha ha. I'd take a video, but my house is a mess. ha ha

15. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    2 things, don't kill possums, they eat ticks, and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth
    Spread it around the area the deer come to.

16. Triple Jim

I would never harm one. They're gentle creatures. We raised an orphan one and it was fun to have around. They like to bare their teeth when something threatens them, but the one we had never once tried to actually bite anyone. In fact it was careful not to hurt us when we offered it food.

17. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Where we live use to be the country until our county started growing and now we are nearing suburb status :(

18. Triple Jim

It happens. I grew up in quiet DC suburbs and it became city. I moved to a very rural part of NC.

19. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Gonna eat alot of deermeat :p:D:p