Like the Death Star...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by jamesgpobog, Sep 15, 2020.

1. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    ...it's fully operational. Also like the Death Star, it weighs a bajillion pounds. Anyone care to guess?

greenback 1.jpg greenback 2.jpg

I was woried about pup height, but it's worked out ok. Neck and strings are settling in right now, but this is the second in a row that plugged in and worked. Sounds fine to me.

2. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
  3. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Is it over 10 lbs.? And, is it because of the sandwich construction, or because of the wood type used, or that they were just heavy pieces that you used?

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Nope.

dbrian66 likes this.
  5. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    11.3 lbs

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    11 lbs 14 oz

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Technically, the answer is 'nope', but you're close enough. 10 frikkin' pounds.

It's the sandwich. 3 layers of .5" MDF. That crap ain't light. But weight = sustain, right?

I was starting to worry that the MDF would make it a sonic black hole, but there's no sign of that.

I also like the pup setup. The P90 is pretty bright, but it's not brittle, it's clear with what I can only call highs with body. Middle position adds bottom, a bit of mid (not too much), and depth. Then the 'bucker at the neck sounds, I think, like a neck 'bucker. IIRC, the P90 is 7-ish and the 'bucker 8-ish.

I have 10 pedals (noise killer, compressor, fuzz, distortion, Psycho Box, chorus, echo, phaser, flanger, and reverb) and played around a little, and I think a couple things sound pretty damn good...

Forum Guest and dbrian66 like this.
  8. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

It's missing a string and a saddle, send it to me to be fixed (and kept).

Seriously, though, amazing looking guitar. Way to take advantage of an ugly knot in the wood :)

9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.