Lightning!

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Brever, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Hi All,and

I had a direct lightning strike on my house last Tuesday and blew out multiple items. I lost my security system, all AT&T related network equipment, stereo components, Blu-Ray players, printer, switch, and worst of all, my Fender Mustang II amp. It comes on but the preset and mod controls just cause the LEDs, even unrelated LEDs, to blink erratically. It was like new in excellent condition and now it's toast. I have a GTX50 coming from Sweetwater tomorrow to replace it.

I hate to just throw the amplifier in the trash, but I don't know what else to do with it. I don't need the cabinet or the speaker within. I contacted a couple of local repair shops and they didn't want anything to do with it. I told them they could have it and they said, no thanks. So I guess these digital modeling amps are just throw away items. I've ordered multiple surge protection units for the replacement gear just out of paranoia but I think a direct lightning strike can get past just about anything. I guess I'm blessed because 2 homes in the area we're burn to the ground from our lightning storm.

Brever

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I can relate. We had a storm a couple years back that burned an antenna I had on a 60 foot tower down down to a nub. It also split a 115 foot poplar tree, causing me to have to cut it up for firewood. We lost a couple other things like the sound system in the TV room, and a few GFIs stopped I-ing.

If I were close to you I'd see if we cold make a deal on the Mustang.

3. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    TJ, if you want it, it's yours. My gtx arrived today and the box is a perfect fit, same actually. It's 23x20x12" and weighs 25#. Shoot me a label and I'll get it in the post.

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Thanks! Let me make a UPS shipping label and I'll email you a .PDF file of it. Can you print the label from the .PDF file? If so, PM me your full address and I'll get it made.

You can give the package to a UPS driver, or drop it off at any UPS shipping store/location. It's half the price of the USPS for this package.

5. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Message sent, I hope you can fix it or at least use some parts. It was a great amp!

6. brodg68

brodg68 Squier-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    NC
    TripleJ and @Breaver

Sorry to hear the amp got snapped! Not to insult anyone's intelligence or experience. I had trouble finding the schematic and google took me to a page that I had posted last year. Squier-Talk # hit btw.

Anyhoo

Attached is the local copy of the Mustang 1 & 2 that I had local.
    - the page at: http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/2300200_gamp_schematic.pdf just gives me a blank page.
    - Have been inside a couple of mustangs over the last few years.
    - Cycling reboot was a little soft start IC labeled ncp1271 - leds randomly lit, and a pop about every 6 seconds as the PA came up
    - Stm32 'main brain' went bad and no lights/connection...just a pop when it came on. I have the notes for that somewhere of bypassing the DSP and pumping the pre-amp to the PA. No effects but CRAZY clean. The tonestack calculator from http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/ can help choose any changes
    - recommend adding a line out while you're in there in my opinion. http://vinic.blog.free.fr/index.php?post/2014/04/29/Fender-Mustang-II-adding-a-Line-Out

The back of the amps on the V1/B2 have some glue holding them on. #1 thing the first time I cracked one open I was scared - a thin piece of metal that looks a lot like a slim jim (not the edible kind) was a big helper. Spudgers from ebay work as well.

Final weird thing to me was there are both TL072 JFET and RC4560s in there. Just different and I always have to use the magnifying glass to make sure I'm on the right one.

I don't have a shop or ANYTHING like that; so no way are these troubleshooting steps. I'm just the shade tree mechanic who doesn't want anyone to have to learn the same lessons I have the hard way nor should gear go into the trash until is has no more to give. I applaud you

I hope you guys keep us all informed on how this works. I have a v1v2 around until I put it up for sale when some parts for a guitar comes in. If we need to check what some voltages or levels should be on the board - holler as we say in NC - 3J knows what I mean.

Attached Files:

7. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Brodg68,

Thanks so much for the information! I'm so happy that this amp has a chance with Jim and it won't wind up in a landfill. It's all packed and labeled and ready to go.

Best,
    Brever

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Kenneth Mountain and Brever like this.
  9. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Thanks Allroy, these are great for one circuit but I had stuff fried all over the house. Maybe a lightning rod would be more in order LOL. This is the second time in 18 years that I've been through this.

10. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    I also have a brother printer that I just put its first new toner cartridge in and it won't even come on. I had only printed a test page with this new toner...rassin frassin!

11. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    Nice to see something repaired instead of just junked.

Brever and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I always can use a spare speaker cab - just add a jack ? but lately I been doing "transplants" adding smaller heads in blown larger amps that still have great speakers ? lots of fun ! ! !

Brever likes this.
  13. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    I found it strange that the Mustang II has a sealed cabinet and the GTX50 has an open back, the form/factor is almost identical. I wonder why?

14. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Shocking! Just shocking....

Brever and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

closed cab gives a lesser speaker more bottom ?

16. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

Only if it is done exactly right. The dimensions of the cabinet have to be carefully matched to the characteristics of the speaker. Also, a closed cabinet means the speaker has to work harder to move--more magnetic force for same amount of cone deflection means more electrical current to generate the magnetic field.

The simplest way is to create a "port" or a carefully sized hole that allows air movement within the cabinet as the speaker moves. This is what most manufacturers do as it is easier to design a "square" box as opposed to a contoured one that exactly matches the transverse waves from the speaker.

Brever likes this.
  17. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    [
    Sad story and sorry for you loss. I live in a lightning prone area here in Texas..What might help in the future is to get a large diameter rebar about 4 feet long and drive it into the ground and have an electrician or someone who knows what they are doing and attach a large diameter cable to the rod and your panel box. It gives all that electricity somewhere to go. It is just trying to get to ground.

Brever likes this.
  18. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Sorry to hear this, I can't imagine all the items that would fry here.
    Growing up on the farm lightning hit the transformer on the power pole. Worst was the submersible pump for the water well 475' deep. Split that pump full length.

MrYeats and Brever like this.
  19. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I bet that was a barrel of monkeys.

20. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Wow, I feel for those who repaired that! My well here is 145' deep and the pump is at 65'. I've changed the pump in it, but it's hard to envision how much of a mess it would be to work with a really deep one.