Lifespan of a Squier Guitar.

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Poor Richard, Aug 3, 2020.

1. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    On the contrary, my frets in my MIM Strat are worn completely.
    My Bullets MIC show no wear, and they get played much harder.
    My MIM is 2001 and the frets are shot.
    It seems those vintage Fender frets were made of much softer fretwire.
    The medium jumbos on the Squiers are much tougher.

By the way, since the beginning of this year, there has been around a 30% increase in the price of new Squiers here.
    This is partly due to exchange rates but the second hand prices are increasing as a result.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Amelia likes this.
  2. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    My CV BSB has some soft, quick wearing frets. But that won’t be the death of it.

3. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, and I still have Squiers or Squier Series guitars.
    The older Squier guitars from Korea are why Squiers are still considered "kids" guitars to start out on before you buy a real guitar. The reason there are so few of them left, is that the frets were small and soft, the black label tuners were once described here as "stirring swarf in a bucket", the saddles on most sucked, and even the sides of the necks were not a straight taper.
    They are why Squier guitars were held in contempt by so many.
    Changing frets may be maintenance, but when the maintenance costs in excess of a new model, the old guitars don't survive.
    For the record, I own a CN2 Squier Series that is the guitar I learned on. It was the top of the line model they made that year, and is officially a Fender, not a Squier.
    It had Trap tuners on it. Better traps than the Black Label Squier, but still traps. It has a bridge that is supposed to be a nominal match for the Fender bridge of the same time period, only made in Korea. The saddles often don't even have guide slots in them. The heel of the neck is too small for the pocket and it must be shimmed in the sides of the pocket to keep the neck pointed straight. I thought it was the body that was out of spec, but when I replaced it with the SE body, it is exactly the same. The pots, the wire, the parts and the quality control were all such that the reputation the Squiers had and still have in many places, was well deserved.
    I have owned several E-9's, a Squier Series, 5 black label models, and a host of other Squiers. I actually believe the VN factory build a better black label in the early nineties than the CN.
    The beloved SE's from 2000 on, were better parts than the older guitars pretty much across the board.
    There are exceptions, but they are known.

The guitars around 2000 and newer are better all the way around. Better bodies, better more reliable hardware and CNC fit that makes them twice the guitar the late eighties and early nineties guitars were. To include the Squier Series, which is basically the E-9 under a different label. The Vintage Modified 70's destroys all of the older stuff.
    The reason there are so few of them, is because you could go buy a new one and a new case for it for less than it cost to keep the older guitar working.

Poor Richard likes this.
  4. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I've read all the posts, and I suspect a couple 'sniffers posts. I chose to make one variety of Squiers my specialization, mainly because there are so very many good playing, looking, and sounding Squiers and on limited funds you cannot own them all.

I've still spent a chunk of change for Squiers, not even counting that today, I could probably sell them all for a profit. Maybe a $10-$50 modest profit but far more than I paid, with a solitary exception. I mostly stick with Chinese NC's manufactured by Yako circa'94-97. They are high quality workmanship.

Yes, they have crappy Asian electronics, but that does not differ from later models including Standards ( and a '95/6 Fender Telecaster)with the same electronics. As far as the traps, I've yet to see any trap tuners on an NC that do not hold tune just fine. I've changed a number but for 18:1 ratio, not tuning failure. I recently picked up an NC6 I'd not played in months, from well before I moved. It was within a few cents of exactly in tune. The traps on an NC are not the same animal as the ones on '98 and later Squiers.

The stock ceramic pickups are the best ceramic pickups I've heard period. Actually better sounding than some AlNiCo I had and heard.

I'll stick with my NC Squiers, all of which are 23-26 years old. They may not be American made perceived quality, but they far exceed my playing ability. They're certainly many, many, times better than any Mexican Fender I've had personal contact with over the years..

5. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    My CY98 O.G. Squier is still one of my main go-to guitars. I've upgraded nearly everything on it but it's one of my faves to play, it's one of my best sounding thanks to the Lace Golds, and I personally have owned it since May of 1999 so it's a connection to when I was still a teenage punk rocker.

Every once in a while I get the idea I should strip and refinish it but the stickers are part of my history. So my latest plan is to find a second CY98 to have a non-stickered twin for her.

[​IMG]

6. tripituru

tripituru New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    canada
    I can safely say that they are very well made guitars. I've gigged, practically every weekend, post Covid of course, with a Chinese Affinity for many years now and it plays beautifully every time. My axes are the Affinity, MIM Strat and an Ibanez ART100L, I'm a lefty. I have never required anything else as these guitars are the best. Play mostly old Rock, Blues and any other type of music.

Poor Richard likes this.
  7. MIJcollector

MIJcollector New Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Oregon
    They can take a licking, my buddy got this 1983 Japanese one for $80 last summer in poor shape, cleaned up well.

daan and StratVegas like this.
  8. Vladan

Vladan Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2012
    Serbia
    This is from July 2020, the most recent clip I made with Squier Tele bought in March 1987.
    That is 33 years and 3 months of use.
    It is pretty much stock, except I changed the bridge, nothing wrong with original, except I lost one saddle (decades span from losing the screw, then losing the saddle it self, till finally mounting new bridge). Also, at one time I accidentally broke copper wire on the neck pick up, where winding wire is soldered to body of PU, so it had to be re-wounded.

Poor Richard likes this.
  9. brashboy

brashboy Squier Talker

Apr 6, 2017
    Florida
    Can't believe this question. Of course it will last. It is not made of ephemeral woods, glues or parts. They are much better constructed than old Harmonys, Kays and numberless other guitars not well constructed that have nonetheless lasted just fine.

Poor Richard and Amelia like this.
  10. acme15

acme15 Squier Talker

May 7, 2020
    UK
    Mine is 20 years old. Aside from some ground in dirt in the fretboard and a few light dings here and there it is just like when I first got it.

Poor Richard likes this.
  11. Scarabeus

Scarabeus Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2015
    It’s not like they’re made of particle board or balsa or something.

You take care of them and they’ll be fine ... plus they’re upgradable, as Leo designed, so they can be fixed and enhanced.

Poor Richard likes this.
  12. Mikespraggi

Mikespraggi Squier Talker

Dec 29, 2012
    Silver Spring, Md
    My 1996 Squier Pro Tone Stratocaster is a quality built instrument, feels and sounds like it. It has held up well......very well in fact.
    I have two other Squiers, an 1989 E series MIK Stratocaster and an 1989 HM bass. Those two also have held up well, but there is a distinct build quality difference between the Pro Tone and the other two.
    1996 Squier Pro Tone -1 Resized.jpg

Poor Richard likes this.
  13. szombat62

szombat62 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2015
    Rotherham, S Yorkshire UK
    Nothing wrong with my 36 year old SQ Strat that I picked up in early 1984. All stock except for the pickup switch that got replaced cos I didn’t realise they got dirt inside and lost the whammy bar when I trod on it and broke the tip. Still going strong and sounds great! Can’t beat it and won’t part with it either.

Poor Richard and Amelia like this.
  14. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Lifespan of a Squier Guitar ?
    Way longer than yours.

Poor Richard and brians like this.
  15. Poor Richard

Poor Richard Squier Talker

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    Very informative thread, though I’m beginning to see my ignorance of all-things Squier. Things like NC, CVC, SE, SQ, CY, etc. are lost on me. I guess I know more about the MIM and MIA Fender stuff and have a lot to learn about Squiers. Is there an acronym thread somewhere?

16. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Quick

run through of acronyms:

NC first two letter of the serial number of specific Strats made by Yako out of Taiwan from '94 through '97. They differ from more modern Strats in their nut width is 43.2mm, wider than the usual 42mm,. or the modern Affinity 40mm. They had full size bodies.

CVC I think is Classsic Vibe (something)_. I'm not sure myself.

SE is Special Edition now discontinued but sold individually and in packs. CXS, COB are common first three letters. Give away is Squier imprinted/engraved on the tuners, along with a full size body.

SQ are Japanese made vintage Squiers first two letter of Serial number

CY are the first two letters of Yako made Chinese Squiers, beginning in 98 and I'm not sure when they stopped production, but it ran for quite a few years. Transition years of '98, '99, '00, can be made of of some left over NC or YN parts, meanng it is possible to get one with a full size body, great ceramic pickups, and 43.2mm 22 fret neck. 22 fret 42mm necks appear in the transition years as well.

YN, sister build to NC's, made by Yako '93-'97

Amelia and Poor Richard like this.
  17. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

My most treasured guitar is a 1999 (Indo) Affinity Strat. Never been refretted, the nut is stock, as is the bridge, block, tuners.

The only sign of the guitar 'not holding up' is that the pickguard is rather warped. Still fits, but warped.

Aside from that, rock solid, and built to last.

Amelia likes this.
  18. szombat62

szombat62 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2015
    Rotherham, S Yorkshire UK
    I recommend Tony Bacon’s book Squier Electrics-30 Years of Fenders Budget Brand if you want to do a deeper dive into all things Squier, from the JVs through to CVs!

StratVegas, Poor Richard and Best1989 like this.
  19. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    This cork sniffer has guitars that range from, 80's Memphis strats to Squiers, Fenders to Epiphones, Lotus to Charvel. What I don't own are any "cork sniffer" guitars. Not a single one.
    Fact is, that if you use a Squier made in Korea from 88 to 95'ish, as a main guitar for someone that plays regularly, you will have had to rebuild it several times minimum.

The question asked. "I’m wondering if you’ve ever seen anyone who has played a Squier for 20+ years as a main guitar?"
    I answered it. Not if you put them in cases and only played them a few days a decade. Not if you used them as a main guitar for a short time period and still have them. Not if they were broken for decades and then finally fixed.

20. Scarabeus

Scarabeus Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2015
    I have a...
    • Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
    • Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster
    • Squier Vintage Modified Mustang

... I love all of them, and have modded them all to some degree... The Jaguar and Mustang more than the Jazzmaster... and I expect they’ll be with me for a long long time to come.

I have a Fender Lite Ash Telecaster... but had I not been gifted with that I most certainly would have bought a Classic Vibe Telecaster and never looked back.

Poor Richard likes this.