Life without the internet

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Papa Joe, Nov 18, 2020.

1. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier-Meister

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    I liked it better as the "information super highway", not the information supermarket.

CVSteve, Eddd, Taurus and 3 others like this.
  2. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Life’s gone crazy, I’m gonna start a online masters degree in January (whole 1st semester will be online, don’t know about the 2nd or 3rd semester, guess we’ll see how life improves with COVID situation)

I also use a online libary, Perlego its like Netflix but instead of movies and tv shows, it has like academic books. Got a free trial till mid-December, I might take a subscription out then cos it’s really good. I do recommend it but yeah, without the internet wouldn’t have it. Its crazy.

I’m trying to cut down though, I deactivated facebook and linkedin I’d like to delete instagram and whatsapp too but I’ll have a bit of groupwork in my course starting in Jan. Looks like I’ll have to keep instagram and whatsapp for work for another year, but using it MUCH less now

DougMen likes this.
  3. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Totally agree with you here, I’m seeing from a psychology perspective, its totally destroyed people its why I cut down and would delete all social media if I could.

ScoobySnacker, Eddd and DougMen like this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The only social media I use is Instagram, because I've discovered a lot of great musicians, artists, photographers, and other fine people there. Of course, it is owned by that creep Zuckerberg.

ScoobySnacker and Taurus like this.
  5. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    And yet inanimate objects may elicit strong feelings within some of us commonly associated with the presence of something perceived to be "bad."

It's a funny old world.

MrYeats likes this.
  6. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    If you hit your thumb with a hammer, don't blame the hammer.

ScoobySnacker likes this.
  7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Try it twice, that chit hurts...o_O

MrYeats likes this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It's not the tool I don't like, but how it's misused by so many unscrupulous people. We don't let people drive drunk, because we control and police how that potentially dangerous tool is misused, but any idiot can post anything they want online, no matter how crooked or downright dangerous. DUH!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  9. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    This forum is “social media”.

10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It's hardly the same as Facebook and Twitter, and you know that, and I don't need to explain that to you, do I?

ScoobySnacker, Taurus and MrYeats like this.
  11. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Calm down. Laugh a little.

Best1989 and MrYeats like this.
  12. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    For all the downsides and terrible stuff on the internet (and we all know there's plenty of it), its a life changing resource for education of people.

How many people here have used youtube videos to learn to play a song, or a new technique? Branching out from that, how many people have used youtube videos or tutorial guides elsewhere for other information? For example: without the internet, I'd still have a broken A/C unit in my house (or had paid hundreds of extra dollars to someone to simply replace an outdoor unit motor), same goes for some low level car maintenance, home maintenance, lawn mower up keep, simple home wiring, etc. Without the internet, I wouldn't have the knowledge of how to setup my guitars and basses to my own liking. Heck, I know people with no post-HS education who have used the internet to obtain knowledge and certification in fields that led to them getting very well paying jobs to support their family.

I'm a "millennial", but I'm old enough to remember times before the internet. I remember encyclopedias, library reference desks, card catalogs and the dewey decimal system. So I understand that a lot of this information could be found if you knew where to look, or who to ask in the pre-internet age. But with the internet, it's opened it up even more. A 10 year old at home on their own time can search "how to play the guitar" on youtube and have thousands of hours instruction. So can a 75 year old in retirement; both of them without having to know anything about guitar, or anyone else in their life who knows about guitar.

Yes, there's a good amount of garbage on the internet, but a whole lot more educational information and resources that can be literally life changing. I'm of the opinion that any technological concepts/tools/gear that makes some part of life better or easier will have inherent drawbacks. Internet - whole lot of educational resources but also amplification of terrible parts of society; Cars - unlocked wider scale travel for the masses (especially in a country as large as the US) but also not exactly the best thing long term for the planet; even learning to make fire thousands of years ago - we could cook food, heat our caves and keep predators at bay but if you don't tend the fire carefully it will burn down everything you have.

=======================================
    Didn't mean to write such a tome of a response lol
    TLDR: there's a lot of bad on the internet, but a lot of life changing tools and information as well.

MrYeats and Best1989 like this.
  13. lost sailor

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    How can a 'millennial' know what it was like before the internet
    Did you look it up on Google?;)

14. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    Google? Man that's the boomer search engine. Qwatzitz is the way to go now. lol

MrYeats and Viking like this.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Duckduckgo is the way to go. :)

16. lost sailor

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
  17. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Jokes aside, and contrary to what the memes might say, we millennials still managed to live some years internet-free. Generation Z is the one without hope.

MrYeats likes this.
  18. lost sailor

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    You all ran out of letters, what ya gonna call the next generation?
    We did not ask to be called 'boomers' either.

ScoobySnacker and MrYeats like this.
  19. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    It is like the hurricanes this year. When they ran out of our common letters, they started using the Greek alphabet.

ScoobySnacker likes this.
  20. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    The internet is the gateway to my intelligents and nahledge... ;)

CVSteve, MrYeats and ScoobySnacker like this.