Life without the internet

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Papa Joe, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    No cable for about 24 hours..And no phone..Took the dude 2 hours to run a new line from a different point and install a new router...
    But we're back on now..
    Missed you guys..

Taurus, Treynor, Big tuna and 12 others like this.
  2. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Reminds me of long ago,
    when I was living in a cave,
    and the fire went out :) (I joke)
    Glad you are back with us!!

3. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm going an old school thing also. My Lovebites CD's arrived. I haven't purchased a CD in almost 2 decades. Blasting some old school Power Metal. Oh yeah !!!

techowiz, JohnnyMac, Taurus and 5 others like this.
  4. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    We cut the Disko Notwork cord 2+ years ago. We get over 60 different OTA channels (80+ total).

Was away from home the past four days, motel stay. The motel used Dish, not cable. Here is the exact reason we cut the cord.

Attached Files:

Kenneth Mountain, MrYeats and mb doug like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I would dance a jig if personal internet was magically outlawed.

6. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Sigh, we've come too far. We rely on it for our daily lives. My job was saved because of the internet. No internet, no remote teaching, no job. :(

Internet also makes my in-school teaching life much easier. So many resources out there. I'm no longer tethered to a textbook and chalk.

7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I'm lost without it. Sometimes its my only contact with the outside world.

8. Papa Joe

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    The phone is even more useful for me..This desk phone hooked to the cable is far much better than any phone that I've ever had..

9. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    I believe that mankind is now doing with the internet what we have done with other technologies that moved the ball forward to a large degree, which is to say significantly incorporating or changing other parts of our society to align with use of this newer technology.

When the automobile came along, for instance, it wasn't so long until we were investing enormous chunks of work and treasure into altering, or creating, systems of travel to take full advantage of it's capabilities. Attendant shifts in our perceptions and routines involving travel happened concurrently.

We're still in a transition period with the internet, though, so one will still occasionally encounter those who would wish it gone or minimized, in my observation.

So it goes.

10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Despite all the bonuses of instant information at our fingertips, I believe overall it has done damage that far outweighs the advantages, with social media destroying all reason and millions of people everywhere believing insane conspiracy theories over hard facts and reality, not to mention the fact that it gives sick and dangerous people the ability to network and organize. If Fecesbook, Twithead, BoobTube, and the others did their job and removed all that crap, then we'd be a lot better off, but it's too late, the damage has already been done. The internet should have been saved for government, military, industry, education and medicine, and not allowed the masses access to it, because far too many idiots are too susceptible to brainwashing and crazy s**t.

Eddd, Viking, Shaytan and 7 others like this.
  11. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I couldn't disagree more with you sir, all due respect.

12. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

It's the internet's fault that people think maple is a viable wood for guitar neck.

rosewood rulez, maple droolz.

uh, disregard that avatar picture, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain :D

Eddd, Kenneth Mountain and MrYeats like this.
  13. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Now boys. let's not ruin Papa's thread here. Take it outside.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It doesn't matter, because, as I said, in some ways, it's too late. But, we can still work to undo the misdeeds. Our better Angels have always prevailed over evil, but it takes effort and sacrifice, and a common cause to bring about worthwhile change.
    My health is so poor that I couldn't live without the internet. It's my only link to the world outside my apartment. It's just too bad that something so miraculous, and with so much promise, is so misused by so many.

Block Head Ike, Eddd, Taurus and 3 others like this.
  15. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    I overdid cleaning my cooker last week and had no cooker for six days, gave it that long to dry out whatever I'd soaked as when I put it on it was dropping a main fuse which knocked out my PC, fridge, landline and boiler, six days later it was back .

Re no internet, none of us would be posting on here then.

16. Papa Joe

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    This is a good subject for open discussion ..Opinions are welcome..

17. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    The internet is an inanimate object and cannot be bad or good. It is a tool by which it is used.

CVSteve, vlxerdon, fuelish and 3 others like this.
  18. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
  19. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    If I didn't have the internet, I for sure would have gone insane for all the times I have lyrics in my head but can't remember the song, or remember the plot to a movie and can't remember the title... A luxury I'm not sure I could do without (yes this happens often lol)

Eddd and Best1989 like this.