Life Returning to Normal Here - For You Too?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Cindi and I both mask when we go out..Not vaccinated..We see more with mask than without..

dbrian66 and Eddd like this.
  2. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

Things seem to be “normalizing” here, but, I still wear a mask when I’m out and about and carry hand sanitizer... being a nurse for all these has taught me what filthy disgusting creatures many humans are (you don’t wanna know)...am comfortable removing my mask when seated at a restaurant table, my lady love and have both been vaxed , got the sanitizer in pocket, but I trust no one that I don’t know....humans disgust me, time to retire. :)

3. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Not there yet, but things are starting to come back. Gigs are finally starting to get booked, even!

mofojar, dbrian66 and grizzlewulf like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    It seems the personal dimension of all that has been happening is at least as impactful as is the external. Illness with less support. The work dynamic. Etc. That is something I’ve heard mentioned often, but not personally experienced. Truly hard times for too, too many.

-don

dbrian66 and shingh2002 like this.
  5. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Things are starting to return to normal. Its about 50/50 with the mask wearing. I don't wear one.

dbrian66 and duceditor like this.
  6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

7. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    Agree on all counts. Me and wife are vaxxed, but as recently as last week, someone in my office building got covid, and she has it pretty damn bad, so it’s absolutely still out there. Moreover, variants are the rule , not the exception. I think this was a wake-up call to be more careful. In the meantime, our family relationship has absolutely improved as a result so it’s a new normal and I’m ok with it.

dbrian66, Davis Sharp and fuelish like this.
  8. Horseflesh

Horseflesh Squier Talker

Sep 19, 2020
    Seattle-ish
    I know how you feel. My habits changed dramatically and I am stuck in those patterns.

I am vaccinated, I know all the stats and the science, and yet I still don't want to go into a restaurant or get into a car with a friend. It has nothing to do with being afraid. If the pandemic never happened and you paid me a million dollars to stay home and wear a mask and use hand sanitizer when I did have to go out for groceries... when time was up I'd be here in the same place... fighting with new habits.

9. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    It's interesting how things both internal and external steer us.

Being in our seventies my wife and I early on saw the need to be cautious. -That what to a younger person might be just a couple of days feeling poorly might for us prove far more consequential.

But TV thinking is something I avoid like the plague. "Same think." Patterned by others of often at best questionable motive. And with the TV off the health emergency in most areas simply disappeared. In fact wider exposure to information suggests that in most such it never actually existed.

Being private and self-contained in my/our lifestyle meant that few changes were needed.

I cooperated with the perceived needs and fears of others, but had no such fear or needs myself. Nor did my heavily data-driven wife.

I won't go into the politics of all this, apart from saying that such was central to the entire exercise. And thus the very different habits and outcomes in America's greatly differing states and communities.

That so many now who were in fear are today less so -- this for any number of reasons -- makes me happy.

Fear is ugly. As ugly as is illness and death itself.

-don

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021 at 1:36 PM
    dbrian66 likes this.
  10. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Meister

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    It never really changed much here. I have NBC suits and Israeli mil surplus gas masks with new 3M filters I use for welding. It was novel walking around in the beginning in clothing and equipment that will actually protect you while the normies were bullied into wearing the useless face diapers. But I look at anyone with a mask now as a rube. Especially the worthless surgical masks.

11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Things are returning to normal here. Last week my county hit the 70% vaccination rate for people 12 and over, putting us (temporarily) as the first area with a population >1M to do so. This county is home to NIH, FDA, and lots of biotech & pharma (including Novavax and an Astra Zeneca facility). So the population is fairly well-educated on the risks and benefits of vaccines.

Just some perspective. 600,000 COVID deaths in the US. That's roughly the annual cancer death total. My neighbors and I don't live in fear, we live in reality.

-r3-, Luvs2yoko and Toddcaster64 like this.
  12. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Things were just starting to get back to normal, all restrictions were due to end next week. Those in charge have now had a little anal spasm and it has been delayed for another month.

It is still is and always has been a complete overreaction, anti-bankruptcy vaccines are still not available...

Kinnon09 and BobWithOneO like this.
  13. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Apr 29, 2020
    South Africa
    Our gov dropped the ball with sorting vaccines so still not normal here in South Africa. Same in many other poor countries.

14. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    The Rangers hired a coach so things are feeling a bit closer to normal for me now. Otherwise my new normal of never leaving the house, basically my wished-for Utopia, remains the same. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade/never let a good crisis go to waste. If this plays out well I may never travel for work again, while working from home over 95% of the time.

We ventured away for a soccer tournament this weekend and nobody was wearing a mask. I saw one. The school principle who traveled with our team wore one in the motel. It was a bit creepy when she hesitated to get on the elevator with me. I insisted. Only girls have cooties, so if anyone's transmitting it's you, lady. Get on the freakin' lift.

Davis Sharp, dbrian66 and duceditor like this.
  15. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I've yet to be approached or for that matter, knowingly avoided or rejected.

Jan was once -- by a women who was apologetic about doing so.

Jan told her not to feel bad -- she, herself, didn't. "Do what you think you must."

Typical Jan -- and I try to learn from her. Know the facts as best you are able, and act on them. No apologies needed.

Societies need not be the same. Neither must we be as people.

"Peace and good will to men."

Trample on her (or the weak) though, and watch out!

It's much like when some toughies came to see her classmates at night college as easy prey. Jan simply got the needed training, got licensed, and got armed with a medium caliber Sig. No noise. No complaint. No self pity. No problem! She just did what pursuing her life goals demanded.

I strive to be of the same spirit.

The covid scare was/is to her no different. Are there actual risks? To the extent there are how can one best deal with them and get on with one's life?

Watch what people with power actually themselves do -- not what they tell (and expect) you to do.

Things usually get pretty clear pretty quickly if your eyes and mind are open.

For more and more people today they increasingly are becoming just that. :)

-don

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021 at 11:39 AM
  16. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Yes, for the past 14 years a group of my high school classmates and I have had a monthly lunch get-together. Normally there are 12-15 of us. We have these at various locations around NW Indiana and SE Michigan (normally within an hours’ drive). Six or seven of us that still live in our hometown go in an older Lincoln limo that was bought by one of the retired teachers just for things like this (not for hire).

Due to the virus we put these on hiatus after our March 2020 lunch. Happy to say that we finally resumed them this past April. All of us were fully vaccinated early this year (we are all 73/74). We really enjoy these and we’re very happy to have resumed them. Only problem is that each month we talk and solve all the worlds’ problems only to find that they all still exist the following month.

Also our grand daughters high school softball season was canceled last year but was resumed this season so the wife and I got to go to her games again this season (maskless).

17. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    As someone that has had to wear one at work now for over a year, masks don't bother me. I now understand why people in other countries wear them even when there isn't a pandemic.

I also appreciate that companies are becoming more tolerant of taking sick time. I had the worst flu I've ever experienced back in January 2020 and when I told my bosses that I was going to call in sick they said, "You can't! We don't have anyone else to cover you!" So I spent a night alternating between shivers that were so strong I felt like my ribs would crack and then pouring sweat as soon as I covered myself, got almost no sleep and then spent a day at work in a high traffic area blowing my nose and coughing all day. I could barely talk and went through two entire boxes of Kleenex. I actually wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was Covid-19, because that tower I was working in at the time had the first publicized cases in my city six weeks later. Obviously there is no way to prove that one way or another.

That said, life is starting to return to normal. I jam weekly with a punk band and we're getting ready to book gigs for when things reopen up here in AB. We went on a big camping trip to the bush two weekends ago and I put my mask in my pocket when I left my apartment Thursday afternoon and didn't put it back on until I was dropped off at my apartment on Sunday. We had over 20 adults, 10 kids and 10 dogs and it just felt so dang normal to have everyone out there enjoying themselves and not worrying about how large our gathering was.

I also have the first jab, waiting for the second. It took a long time for them to open it up to under-40's but I signed up as soon as I could. I truly feel that normalcy will only completely return when we reach a critical mass of vaccinated population. I do support people's rights to not take it, but for me the clear and correct choice is to make myself as immune as possible so I don't spread it to those who have chosen to abstain from the vaccine.

-r3- and duceditor like this.
  18. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    Fully vaxxed. So are my wife and child. Still places that require masks, and I happily abide those rules...

Dennis James and duceditor like this.
  19. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm more about helping people get over their anxieties. I'm vaccinated. So is the lady in question, who I know quite well. Neither of us have any symptoms. It was showtime for her as she donned her mask indoor in a public space; setting an example for the plebes. I understand that, but I also felt that she had acquired some type of learned phobia, as I intimated while acting gentlemanly approaching the elevator. There's a lot of things I'm not, but I am a strong persuader. On the elevator she went. I think she's mentally healing as a result of our awkward encounter at the lift. I know I feel better about the state of things around here. I think it's time to move forward and I have no trouble telling people what I think. She could've stepped off. She got on for the ride, convinced it was a safe enough risk. A good metaphor for life ahead, I think.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021 at 1:24 PM
  20. Dennis James

Dennis James Squier Talker

Oct 21, 2020
    Far Rockaway, New York
    Methinks things are moving in the right direction.. I still wish there was a way to identify those who actually have been vaxxed and those that lie through their teeth.. Ya know, kinda like Inglorious Basterds. Sadly too many folks confuse Freedom with freedumb. In any event, can't wait to get back in the studio, once all my guys are fully vaxxed.. Quarters WAY too close, to take chances...