Life Returning to Normal Here - For You Too?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Jun 10, 2021.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Patience, we are sometimes told, is the virtue of angels. I don't know much about angels. but it certainly works out well for we humans.

'Round where I live -- and I expect this is pretty typical -- these last 18 months or so have called for much patience. That as people have chosen, or felt compelled, to close down their lives. Limit their activity. Stay pretty much close to home, if not home bound exactly.

But, again, here at least, that patience is being rewarded, as life slowly returns to normal.

Although my wife and I didn't buy into the spirit of fear that some we know did, we did see the wisdom of keeping close to home for some time now. We didn't get into the mask thing -- but pleasantly cooperated with those who thought it necessary.

But for all that w are relieved to see it pass. For smiles not only to return to our neighbors faces -- but even for those who always had them (We did!) to again be able to see them.

I weekly go to our "recycling center." (There is no trash pickup in many New Hampshire towns. "Small government" and all that you know! ;) ) So how doubly nice to see one restriction after another removed. This week appeared just normal. Not a mask in sight. Parking spaces no longer spaced out by "social distancing" rule makers. Yeah to all that!

And today we took advantage of all the above and went into town. The shops and galleries were all open. (Even some new ones!!!) And the smiles were as uplifting to our spirits as was the very excellent espresso offered at one such. And wow!!! Even the weekday "Listen and Lunch" concerts have begun again.

I was ready for this. Oh, yes!!! :D

(I took a few pics to share.)

How are things in your town or city? Signs of "normalcy" there too?

Our Town 3 WEB.jpg

Our Town 4 WEB.jpg

Our Town 1 WEB.jpg

Our Town 2 WEB.jpg

-don

Cochise, Mojotone, Best1989 and 10 others like this.
  2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

Here in Charlotte, NC, we never really saw much of a difference. There are a lot of latinos here who never adhired to the "stay at home" or "mask mandates" that were supposedly in force. But we survived none the less.

duceditor and dbrian66 like this.
  3. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, it's pretty "normal" up here.

We're on "Masks optional". My son wears one everywhere, but my wife and I (vaccinated), never do.

You be you and I'll be me. I'm done with arguing! ;)

4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Chicago opens officially tomorrow, but businesses can have their own safety rules if they so wish.

5. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    hell is empty and all the devils are here

6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    My work went to “masks optional” this week. It’s been nice! It does seem like things are returning to normal. Yay!!!!

7. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    This whole thing has kinda played on my natural introvert tendencies, and though I've started doing a lot of things as pretty much normal, my spouse and I haven't really gotten back to socializing with people. It's hard enough with kids under normal conditions, but now that we're not in the habit of it, we're kinda clinging to being cooped up

8. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That was (and is) so here as well.

I was personally never a believer in these various "safety" steps, but if a store owner chose t put a mandate in place I viewed (and view) it as their right. If what they offer could be done without I/we generally made a different choice as to where to shop, but if not I/we cooperated with them. And even now try to be sensitive to people whose needs, be they physical or just emotional, appear frightened or concerned.

Such here now are few. Even the older ladies are now going mask free and seem comfortable with that.

Jan is quick to say "hi" to people around her and often adds "So nice to free of the masks, isn't it?" The response almost always show joyous enthusiasm for the regained freedom -- and, of course, for her kind and genuine good wishes. :)

-don

Cochise, Dr Improbable, duzie and 2 others like this.
  9. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    I’m very much feeling the same. The pandemic awoke the germaphobe within and I’ve taken things very seriously, masks, sanitising constantly, stopping the kids from playing on the swings even. Whether that was wrong or right is not the discussion. But I’m struggling to adjust to the idea of things opening up. I think it will happen, but it needs to be slowly and on my terms.

This weekend will be a big step: its our first family trip to the Zoo! :D

Kinnon09, Eddd and grizzlewulf like this.
  10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Its been just about wide open here for a couple weeks.

Kinnon09 likes this.
  11. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    For me it's less of a hygiene or health concern, and just that I'm not used to hanging out with people a bunch. And I'm kinda torn--part of me wants to go to parties and get wild, part of me wants to move to a cabin in the woods and hermit up

mofojar, Eddd, -r3- and 2 others like this.
  12. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    I’m double vaccinated but I’m still anxious for the children, and that’s having a knock on effect to my social side. I’m not the carefree 20something year old anymore!

Kinnon09 and grizzlewulf like this.
  13. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    My life has changed dramatically over the last 15 months and however many lockdowns, My old mum's dementia really kicked in during the lockdowns which meant I had to shield her so couldn't go to work, I'm self employed and that means all my rainy day money has now gone.
    I'm waiting on help regarding mums day time care even though I am slowly giving up hope that like the 7th Calvary it will come charging over the hill to save the day..
    I've all but given up on guitar because mums dementia is so time consuming, but needs must and family comes first in all situations.

Kinnon09, beagle and grizzlewulf like this.
  14. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Most things around here are getting back to normal. Some good concerts coming this summer to our local drive in. Flea markets and Rummage sales are up and running with no restrictions.Heading to Rehoboth Beach for a vacation starting tomorrow. Hopefully things will be relaxed and not too restrictive there. Looking foreword to a quiet more normal summer.

grizzlewulf likes this.
  15. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

@sofeight my condolences on your mum's plight. We went through about 3 and a half years of it before my mom passed in January.

I'm still getting used to not wearing a mask everywhere. I feel naked without it but then I've long been uninhibited by nature so I'm taking it in stride :D Some places are still requiring it and I have no problem with that. Next winter I will wear a mask again, I loved it kept my face warm. And no colds.

I'm odd in that while I am comfortable alone, which by definition tends towards introvert, I can engage socially when I choose to. I think the key is being able to choose.

Cochise, shingh2002 and grizzlewulf like this.
  16. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Not much has changed here. Even vaccinated people are still required to wear masks inside most commercial and residential buildings -- not by the city or state, but by the management of the businesses and residences. The security guy at the grocery store told me, "It's to make people feel comfortable."

It's going to take some time for the millions of crazies here to get over their fear of strangers' noses and mouths.

17. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    I've been thinking about masking up in public for cold and flu season, but I know damn well whatever I do, my Kindergartner and first grader will be bringing home the viral yuck and it's basically unavoidable.

shingh2002 and dbrian66 like this.
  18. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    In rural Northern California it’s been pretty maskless unless people went downtown.

I am starting to notice about a third of the people downtown not wear masks in our town of 1,200 and I suspect if we have Israel’s herd immunity at around 70% percent vaccinated with at least one dose, then we won’t see many masks on the 4th of July.

The entire time I didn’t go to the big guitar Center in San Jose but I suspect masks during covid19.

19. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Thanks kiddo, its tough work as you yourself know. My condolences on your mums passing.

20. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    My town has basically been normal for a year or so now. Masks on public transport, and the optional contact tracing being the only exceptions. I don't take the bus, so for me it's been business as usual.

dbrian66 likes this.