Let’s see your boards!

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by rompo, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Thanks. I've tried a few other pedals over the years but this is all I really need to amuse myself. Sometimes I'll add my little TC Electronic Ditto looper but right now that's hooked up to my Boss Katana-50 MKII that I keep up in my home office. I really don't use the Katana much as I'm kind of a one trick pony, as my rig indicates. The Katana is fun for thinking out of the box and getting out of my normal comfort zone.

drewcp and RetiredNSquired like this.
  2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    drewcp, Treynor and Luvs2yoko like this.
  3. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg This is my current set up. Just picked up the Fender chorus and still need to sit down and see what it can for. Picked it up locally for 40.00, wasn't looking for a chorus but for that price Why not. The blank space is for a new overdrive that is still undecided. The Rat isn't going anywhere, but the soul food might be.My board is in an old military surplus box, that has a funky musty odor to it. I've tried a few things to de funkily it, but no luck. Every time I open it I want to hurl. Think it's time to build a new board.

TeleJason, drewcp, FhPudd and 6 others like this.
  4. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Nut

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    That's a Companion Fuzz clone I bought on reverb. I use it for that psychedelic soul fuzz sound on solos and sometimes to play "Hey, Hey, My, My." I think the guy who makes them is in PA. Here's the reverb description:

"Hey Buddy!
    is a clone of the vintage Shin-Ei Companion FY-2 fuzz box. There is an added Scoop control which gives it more versatility than the original and an added boost at the end of the circuit to give it a lot more volume. This is a nasty fuzz with somewhat of a bitcrushed sound. Not the best for chords but great for filthy licks and solos. I tried to make the pedal's look match its sound, thus the hideous color scheme haha. The controls are Vol which controls the overall output level of the pedal. Fuzz controls the character of the fuzz. And Scoop controls the presence of the mids in the output. *Made to Order*

Features
    True bypass
    Green LED indicator light
    Runs on Standard 9VDC negative center power supply only (not included)
    Quality Components (Neutrik Jacks, Alpha Pots)
    Aluminum Housing painted, custom labelled, and clear coated
    4 Rubber feet included but not attached.
    HandMade in USA"

https://reverb.com/item/6734001-hey...al-handmade-shin-ei-fy-2-companion-clone-mods

Rodiebobw, drewcp and grizzlewulf like this.
  5. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    I looked at the soul food when I was in the market for a Klon clone. I went with the Tumnus because of the tweakability and the mods (and Wampler is a great company, my experience with their customer service department was great.)

What don't you like about the Soul Food? I was thinking of getting one to stack with my Tumnus, but I keep hearing/reading that people don't like them.

drewcp likes this.
  6. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I love that mini-pedal board. Please tell me that thing on the left is a 5th fuzz in a 7 pedal chain.

Here is the ridiculous, mostly afford-a-board monstrosity I slapped together after buying $20 minipedals all through 2019. Then the pandemic hit and after 2 practices this has sat in the practice space pretty much unused for the past year.
    [​IMG]

After spending the last year mainly testing out various much smaller chains on the coffee table in the living room, I am 90% sure that I'm going to streamline my band setup down to what I've got set up at home now, which goes:

Mosky Golden Horse (klone) → Behringer Noise Reducer [within loop: Mosky Obsessive (OCD) → Tomsline Firecream (Big Muff) → DOD Boneshaker] → Behringer Echo Machine → Behringer Ultra Vibrato → Caline Snake Bite reverb.

I might try and throw the Bass Synth pedal in there too, I use that on one song. May swap the Vibrato out for some other mod too, but I'm definitely keeping the in-loop gain chain.

TeleJason, Rodiebobw, drewcp and 7 others like this.
  7. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Squier-Meister

Dec 15, 2013
    Deep In The South Of Texas
    20210426_103701.jpg

LiveWire ABY
    Digitech Hardwire HT-2 Tuner
    MXR M-68 Uni-Vibe
    EHX Soul Food
    EHX Big Muff Pi OpAmp Reissue
    Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
    Stagg Blaxx Delay
    Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
    EHX S8 Power Supply

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    TeleJason, drewcp, FhPudd and 4 others like this.
  8. Luvs2yoko

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I've had the soul food for 4 years, and I'm happy with it. I played a keeley sweet spot pedal paired with a ep boost at my friends place recently. It sounded great.Gonna borrow it and try it through my pro jr. And blues jr. I'm just trying something different.I would love to try the tumnus as well. Thought about buying one through GC used and trying it for a while.

drewcp, Stillhouse and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  9. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Oh, cool. I thought maybe you didn't like it because a lot people say it's too mid rangey. The Tumnus is a beast.

drewcp likes this.
  10. Luvs2yoko

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    Any time I start trying different over drives I end up with a board full,of pedals. I might just make two separate boards.

drewcp and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  11. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Man that's right up my alley, and cheap for something hand made,! I wonder how it compares to an MXR blue box, which is also crushy/glitchy/ugly, but has a 2 octave sub signal

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    drewcp and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  12. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    It's a nice pedal for the price, for sure. I don't have any experience with the MXR blue box, so I can't comment on how they compare. If you listen to the Black Keys, Dan Aurbach uses a real vintage companion fuzz on their newer songs (post Turn Blue). I bet if you contacted the guy on Reverb, he would make you one.

drewcp and grizzlewulf like this.
  13. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    Me too. I've got a bunch sitting on a shelf that I'm going to make a spare board with.

drewcp likes this.
  14. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I should probably invest in a few smaller pedalboards and sort all these guys out into multiple boards:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

drewcp, grizzlewulf, FhPudd and 4 others like this.
  15. Luvs2yoko

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I see some threepeats on that board.Do buy multiples of your favorites?

drewcp and BarnyardShark1979 like this.
  16. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    If not 'favorites', then 'most utilitarian'. I mean, every board can use a delay and a reverb, right? But I do really like the way both sound.

Also, on both the Mosky Spring Reverb and the Azor Delay I think I bought the first one for $20 on Amazon, then found them on Aliexpress for like $12 or $14 each, thought "Well, I spend like twice that on beer any given day", thus the redundancies.

17. rompo

rompo Dr. Squier

Jan 24, 2010
    ARKANSAS
  18. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    It's a quality pedal. It sounds really good, has a lot of tweakability with the mid scoop knob. It works in a lot of situations. I've used it on soulful solos with some tremolo for a psychedelic sound, early Black Sabbath covers, and 'Hey Hey, My My." It does have a different sound compared to a big muff pi or green russian (I had one of those green russians in the green box back in the 90s... I could kick myself for selling it). It has more fuzziness than a big muff to my ears. Works perfectly if you need that late 60s or early 70s fuzz sound. I like it a lot.

drewcp and rompo like this.
  19. TheVoid

TheVoid Squier Talker

Jul 25, 2020
    Nebraska
  20. bluesguy62

bluesguy62 Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2012
    Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia