Less is More?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by RetiredNSquired, Oct 22, 2020.

1. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    More and more lately, I find myself drifting into the 5 Watt World mindset of " The most music with the least gear". Like everybody here, I think, I've been thru my GAS phase of accumulating gear. Finally dawned on me that it was getting to be more about the having than it was about the needing and using. I don't really need one of everything to make music I enjoy. Actually been whittling down some of my acquisitions, making sure to keep the stuff I really use.
    More and more, I find myself reaching for either my Tele or my Epi Special when I sit down to play. Still have my Jazzy, and it plays and sounds fine, but just feels like I've never really bonded with it.
    Guess I'm reaching some sort of zen point in my life where I'm happier with what actually brings me joy.
    Sorry for the rambling rant!

Mr_10awg, Cochise, Eddd and 9 others like this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Maybe we'll all get there someday.

3. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I was just talking to a friend telling him I kind of miss the days that I had one guitar and one amp. I played it. I didn't think about what I could change to make it better or think about what else I could get. I just played it to make music.
    The thought of changing the pickups would never have even crossed my mind.

Cochise, Eddd, ToneChaser77 and 5 others like this.
  4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Over the years I've settle with a little Bugera G5 tube amp and cab, I still have my Bugera G20 with double cab but is just too much amp anymore. I also have a mint condition Champion 100 that is far too much for me and doesn't get used. I can remember years ago when I was a kid I listened to loud rock, "classic rock" and even that has mellowed out. I think its old age....:(

Cochise, Eddd, fattboyzz and 4 others like this.
  5. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I have a few amps but my 1976 Champ is my favorite amp ever.

6. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    I am on this path as well...........

7. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I'm thinking about it but it is so hard to let gear go that took so much work to get. All I can commit to is selling a couple /few guitars. I did sell my Line6 POD so it's gone but I have a bass amp on the way. But I do need a bass amp for recording.

8. jordnot

jordnot Squier-Meister

May 1, 2020
    EU
    More is more...

Angry Possum likes this.
  9. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    Agreed. I used to enjoy the hunt, score, swap/play, rinse & repeat process and loved the idea of having a hefty collection of my favorite guitars, but I only ever play one or two of them. There's just no time like 5-10 years ago :(

With some added reverb, this must be the sweetest tone that can be had for a blues tube tone on low volume! I haven't played mine in ages.

10. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Really is just amazing ..

11. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Hi Yngwie!!! How can less be more? More is more... I Love Yngwie too...

jordnot likes this.
  12. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    This too shall pass! :) Honestly, for the most part I feel the same way. The only problem is nothing seems to knock my socks off for a sustained period of time.

Block Head Ike likes this.
  13. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Yup, with my several amps and many guitars, more often than not it's my Squier Standard Tele into my '76 Vibro Champ with a little reverb. Perfect!

006.JPG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    fattboyzz and fadetoz like this.
  14. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    The sum total of gear I normally use, despite owning far more:

upload_2020-10-22_17-39-14.png upload_2020-10-22_17-41-1.png upload_2020-10-22_17-43-19.png

Attached Files:

fadetoz and RetiredNSquired like this.
  15. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    I've definitely become a less is more fan over this past year. Less gear (and gas) = more time to practice and slowly get better. I've started applying this to other things as well and have started letting go of stuff I don't use so that I have more time and space to enjoy what I have. Slowly reducing the amount of clutter around the house feels great.

RetiredNSquired and fattboyzz like this.
  16. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

As they say: "been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt, Washing the car with it" LOL :)

I have discovered that guitars and gear bring me joy. I am retired now. Empty nest. Owe "nobody nothing". I have reduced the herd....and acquired more....and reduced again...and wash-rinse-repeat. It seems like I will always have my favorites, but I guess I am OK with just not being a "one guitar -one amp" kind of guy. I can appreciate the "zen" of it and all, but I say: "know thy self".

17. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I'm n the same mind on this. I've got 4 guiatrs for sale currently and really wish they'd move on along . 3 are priced under a hundred bucks . Only tire kickers have asked about them .

I really want to get a bass ;)

RetiredNSquired likes this.
  18. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    We're in the same boat. I keep saying I'll sell what is not getting used but I can only commit to getting rid of a couple of guitars at a time and right now I'm digging my entire collection of about 25 guitars. So much so that lately my focus has turned from guitars to amps. Its crazy cause I realize that someone of my skill level should not have so much gear yet here it is. I do have fun though!

19. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I can't sell anything musical equipment related. I mean, WHAT IF I NEED IT LATER??? I'm not gonna just write off as impossible an occassion in the future where nothing could possibly work except the Ibanez GAX70 that has been in my sister's basement ever since I started an 11-month side project with my sister's boyfriend 6 years ago.

20. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    You beat me to it.....

jordnot and fadetoz like this.