Les Paul type guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by SubSailer671, Jul 12, 2020.

1. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I'm considering purchasing an LP style guitar, but I don't know enough about them to make a wise decision. I know that they have a shorter scale (24.75 inch?) than a Strat or Tele. I know that Gibson is the prime name, but some of the Epiphones are well thought of. There are so many choices and in such a wide range of prices. I hate to make a decision purely on cost as I know that isn't necessarily directly related to quality.

I've seen Studio, Pro, Traditional, Muse, and some signature models as well. Can anyone point me to a resource that explains the difference?

mb doug, drewcp, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Swing over to GC and play a bunch. See how they fit you. :)

3. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Consider an Agile Les Paul. They are well built, heavy, and have lots of sustain.

Bluzy, mb doug, dbrian66 and 3 others like this.
  4. SubSailer671

My last trip to GC is the reason I am considering it at all. I spent about 3 hours total in GC and Sam Ash, and played a bunch of guitars. An Epi LP was one of them, and it was about the only one I liked that day.

BlueSquirrel, mb doug, drewcp and 2 others like this.
  5. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Is there a price range you're looking at?

Have you considered the Harley Benton LP's? Very good for the money.

6. SubSailer671

No, not really. I am certain I don't want to pay Gibson prices, so an Epi or one of the clones is probably what I will buy. Hell, I may not buy anything--I have enough guitars as is. Harley Benton, Epi, Agile, etc. are all acceptable. Maybe even a Firefly.

I want to know more about the options before I decide.

My preferences are a thin, wide neck. I play with a pretty light touch, so low action is nice. I don't need super tall or big frets, but I also don't like the little ones. I have shoulder issues (including a surgically repaired right shoulder) so weight is an issue.

mb doug and Eddie like this.
  7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    It all depends on how much you want to spend! LOL. My favorite LP in my collection is a Gibson. It’s hard to beat the original. But there are a ton of great lower priced options.

If you want a “traditional” LP type guitar you want a solid mahogany body with a 3/4” maple cap, not a veneer. Also a set mahogany neck. Two humbuckers and tune-a-matic bridge type. The pickups come in a wide range of output levels, but the early LP’s had pretty low output pickups I think. Everything else is just trim levels. Do you want a bound body? Trapezoid or block inlays? Stuff like that.

Both Epiphone and Agile make great LP type guitars in the $300 to $500 range.

mb doug, Taurus, Eddie and 1 other person like this.
  8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    With Gibson and Epiphone, you normally hear people talk about 50’s or 60’s style necks. The 60’s is the slimmer of the two. Agiles have some that are advertised as a wide neck I think.
    The Agiles are heavy! Solid bodies. Gibson and maybe Epiphone have weight relieved bodies. The drill a bunch of holes in the Mahogany before the maple cap goes on. Some don’t like the “tone” of those, but my Gibson is weight relieved and it sounds pretty good to me!

mb doug, SubSailer671 and Eddie like this.
  9. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
  10. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    Just about any LP style will be heavy. And most are 2 Humbucker types. the difference being the type of humbuckers are in the guitar.

11. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    check out some mij stuff. Greco burny history . less than gibsons more than epi.

12. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    If weight is an issue than Agile is out. Mine is the heaviest guitar I own.

SubSailer671, dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  13. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I have a Korean made Epiphone les paul classic and really like it. The neck is pretty comfortable and I play alot of Fender types, mainly Teles.

14. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I have a Jay Turser Gold LP, and I put a different set of pickups in it. Light and pretty, for me it doesn't play like the Epiphone.
    I have a black very heavy Arbor import LP. It is black, triple bound front and back, and plays pretty well. It is the second heaviest guitar I have, and it is let down by the pickups. It still plays pretty well.
    There are other choices in the shorter scale guitars. I have Greg Bennett Fastback that is the same scale and pickup configuration, but feels more like a good telecaster than an LP.
    I swapped for an Epiphone Traditional Pro, and most of my guitars just sit in their cases since. I would love a set of Gibson pickups to put in it, but they want bore for the pickups than I have in the guitar.
    I would still say that you need to go play them and find the one that fits you. You find a correctly set up Epiphone that suits you, and I think you will be happy.

15. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    Which Les Paul sound are you looking for? I ask that because when I started looking for a Les Paul type guitar I knew what sound I wanted. Bell like, syrupy and of some very specific bands from 70's and 80's. I bought a "Tradition" S20 back in 2005, that had everything I wanted and like and I was able to get some great tones from it. Mahogany body, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, great parts, fit, and finish, However, I had to change caps in it to remove muddiness from it before I was able to get a large range of LP tones. The video covers a lot of the tones I wanted. Not so I could play those exact riffs but, so what I played had the signature LP tone. That sweet LP tone and some of that comes from being able and learning to blend the neck and bridge pickups. It's all part of what you're looking for in an LP type guitar. It's not just the guitar though, but the rest of your gear too that you'll dial in. So once you find the guitar embrace the chase of dialing it down. Don't be to quick to react if when you first plug in that it's not what you expected. Especially if your experience to date is a lot of single coil pickup guitars.
    All my LP type guitars have larger necks that my Strat and Tele type guitars with the exception of my Xavier Tele. My Tradition, Agile LP, and Epiphone LP Jr. all have similar necks and feel. I can't say that having the maple cap is extremely important because I can get many of the same sounds from my LP Jr. that I can with my Tradition with it's 5/8 inch maple cap. The Jr. of course doesn't have the second pickup so the ability to blend is not there. So be sure to check out some of the Epiphone studio model without the cap. Same with the set neck and bolt on neck. The differences just are not huge if your budget is tight and you're experimenting and not totally sure you want to dive in.

Read up on the wood used on the models you're going to try because over the last year wood choices are changing from what I've read. I'm sure a basswood and or poplar (poplar with mahogany veneer is a thing) LP is nice but it's not what I would be looking for here. My first choice would be mahogany body and neck with a maple cap (not veneer) two humbucking pickups with volume and tone controls for each and a 3 way switch.

Look for used Agiles, I got my 3010SE for $200 and it's a nice guitar
    Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT Electric Guitar (carved top, no cap, bolt neck) $250
    Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Studio Deluxe Electric Guitar ( carved top, bolt neck, no cap) $399
    Epiphone Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar (carved top, No cap) $399
    Maple caps start after this model of Epiphone and hit the $500 and up mark.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  16. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    For Epiphone

Studio=Plain, aesthetically. No binding, no flame top, dot inlays. Nothing "extra" unless you're looking at a Studio Deluxe.

Some (maybe all?) of the Traditional models will have a satin finish neck. My Traditional Pro III goldtop had a satin neck. This is fairly uncommon.

LP Standards compare similarly to the Squier Standard strat, in that it's not trying to evoke the memory of a particular era, or do anything too modern.

I think the muse lps are new, so I don't know anything about them.

I have several LPs though, and my favorite is a Florentine semi-hollow.

I personally am not a fan of LTD/Agile/Firefly and other copy cats, and always find something to seem off about them. Agiles are generally well made, but they don't scratch the LP itch, at least not for me

Most set neck epi Les Pauls are going to sound and feel like an LP, but some may have more going on in the aesthetics, or offer "bonus" features like coil split.

17. Shine

Shine Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Do you want a humbucker or p90 version? That may affect the weight if the latter is a slab body.

18. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Lots of good suggestions here for you to consider, what REALLY put me off and made me sell my Epiphone LP Standard was the weight. It is heavy, really heavy compared to my Strat. With my body frame, I don’t think I could play it standing up... I didn’t like the 50s slim tapered neck either or the body shape but that’s a personal preference thing. You either like it or not.

But the best way to decide is like what @Eddie said. Go to a bunch of stores and try out as many different ones as you can find :) we can all suggest great models, but it’s a really individual decision of what fits you right yourself.

The Standard is a good starting point, consider a ESP LTD Les Paul too, seen good reviews on them. Studio seems the non-fancy version of the Standard

19. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Agree. I like the sustain and playability of my Agile (14” radius) over my Korean Epi Standard, but my Agile is close to ten pounds.