Les Paul digging into ribs and chest while sitting. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by BlueSquirrel, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    The guitar strap adjusted to a good height works well also as one member stated. I use it too when I'm on my audio interface on my computer using garageband to jam with.

2. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Thanks a million to you all for your great advice!

It has been really eye-opening. The position with the guitar in the lap rather than on the side and sitting straighter makes sense now. I need to retrain a bit, but it seems much better to play that way anyway. I'm definitely going to keep practicing using a strap as well.
    I didn't realise that playing with the guitar on the side wasn't very good for the fretting hand's wrist either. Thanks for taking the time to explain and to post enlightening pictures and videos.

3. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    I'll try that as well. I suppose that if the guitar passes in front of one's chest instead of digging into it, it would be more comfortable (sort of like with a tele or a strat).

Angry Possum, jefffam and dbrian66 like this.
  4. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I often use one of these pillows to lift the guitar on my left leg to a more "classical" position. This is an alternate to a foot stool for the left foot intended to raise the left knee above the hip and support the guitar in the correct position. Using the foot stool for any significant length of time can lead to back and hip pain.

5. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Ok, I thought foot stools were good. Are they too high, perhaps?

One more stupid question : When you use that pillow on your thigh, are your left foot and your right foot in the same position then?

Angry Possum, jefffam and dbrian66 like this.
  6. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

Yes, when I use the pillow both of my feet are flat on the floor. Foot stools work well, but they lead to back and hip pain after extended use. I only use the foot stool when I am sitting on a high stool to play.

I should also note that I don't have Dynarette branded cushion--I purchased a knock-off from Amazon that is the Flanger brand. I'm not sure what is available in France, but you might find something I suppose.

Edit: I have not played an LP guitar with this. I use it for the acoustics and sometimes with my FF338 Firefly. All of those have the hourglass shape similar to a Les Paul. It does not work with a strat.

7. guitalias

guitalias Squier-Meister

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
  8. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    There is a lot of great advise in this thread. Obviously I would suggest trying out all the "free" solutions first. But, in my experience, the more comfortable a guitar is, the more likely you are to play it. Les pauls look and sound fantastic, but ergonomics are not their strong suit. If it doesn't start feeling natural relatively soon, with the suggested accomodations, then I would start looking at replacing it with something else. Fender guitars were always conceived with ergonomics in mind, especially the offset ones. Maybe go to a local guitar shop and try some out, see what fits.

9. Sell it and get an Original Contour Body Stratocaster.
    Cheers, Barrie.

10. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    If you look closely at Les, he's wearing a strap. If a guitar is kind of weird (like my Rhoads V) or just not feeling right, wearing a strap can really help it be in the right position when sitting.

11. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    I'm curious, is that a purple burst or a light effect? Looks great!

Good advice here, I was so used to play strats that when I first got my LP I had some repositioning to do, lol. I still find myself going to old postures from time to time, but I'm getting better at it.

12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    LOL, I use a strap often when sitting, so I don't drop the guitar. (It's happened, medical issues.)

13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Squier Talker

Aug 18, 2020
    Rhode Island
    Strap on for all electrics during sit down session.

As for my Les Paul guitars they’d dig in without strap perhaps that’s the fix for the OP?

dbrian66, jefffam and BlueSquirrel like this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The new Epi Muse LPs have a tummy cut. Some Gibsons do too.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    dbrian66, jefffam and BlueSquirrel like this.
  15. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    (Tom Morello, Sonny Landreth...)

radiotech, dbrian66 and BlueSquirrel like this.
  16. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I guess no one told this guy that you aren't supposed to play a LP sitting down, or that when standing, it's supposed to be down around your knees.
    833D7C991.jpg cd 1 & 2 front.jpg

radiotech, jefffam and BlueSquirrel like this.
  17. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Great! So it's feasible!

Yes, the guitar's finish is some kind of blue burst called "trans blue", however it looks more or less blue depending on the lighting.

Attached Files:

18. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Above, it's a photo under artificial lighting.
    Below are pics in warm daylight. Those look a bit more accurate. It's hard to photograph anyway. It reminds me of denim blue.

Attached Files:

19. guitalias

guitalias Squier-Meister

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    But when he plugs a cord in that output jack he will need to change his sitting position.

Eddd and dbrian66 like this.
  20. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I did not pick up the guitar until I was 55 with bad arthritis. I did not think I would ever be able, so I bought a lap steel and started learning slide.
    I have to play the guitar with the neck at an up angle like shown as the classical position, since my hands are not going to allow the other and I get tired of my left thumb feeling like I tried to tear it off every day.
    I use a strap if I play. No strap is worse than no pick. The position of the guitar is critical if you play something like an SG, so they make straps that are wide and made of suede to grip your shirt to defeat neck dive.
    Of course, my ribs are protected by a large bumper pad that is attached to me, not the guitar!

Seriously. Drop the guitar on your right leg and run through the chord shapes. Then move to what the video called the classical position and do it again. The strain on the thumb and wrist of the fretting hand is much less in that position. Take a look at how people like Trucks, Haynes, and Bonamassa play standing or sitting. There is a reason.

jefffam, dbrian66 and guitalias like this.