Les Paul digging into ribs and chest while sitting. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by BlueSquirrel, Sep 15, 2020.

1. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier Talker

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    Just goofin' around. Also, apologies to OP, not trying to misgender anyone, I should probably work on not using "Dude" as my default sentence lead.

2. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    My preferred position is just like you say, with the lower bout of of the body right in the middle when sitting with almost any guitar. And when I'm standing I tend to wear the guitar high so the fret board is still basically in the same place. Better on the wrists for sure and better access to all positions on the neck, too. For me, anyway.

3. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Les Paul was in a really bad accident way back when. When they were putting him back together they told him they pretty much had to fuse his elbow joint and limit the mobility so he was given the choice of limited mobility in the upper position or the lower position. He chose the upper position. But then again, Les Paul and many of the jazz players in his generation pretty much floated their right wrists over the body. In the case where you'd see many of them with a large arch top guitar, that right wrist floated whether they rested the guitar on the right leg or cradled it.

4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ve even had LP’s with tummy cuts, and lighter necks (LTD/ESP), I just
    can’t get comfortable with an LP sitting down (though wearing a strap does help). It’s the reason I don’t have any.

5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    See, that makes sense. If you don't like the way a guitar feels, just don't buy any or any more. Stick with the ones you enjoy.

That's actually better on the pocket book. It cuts down on the guitars you buy. Squier Offsets are uncomfortable to me, nothing wrong with the guitars, just awkward and not comfortable. That's why I only have one Squier offset. I won't buy any more. Strats, LP's, 335ish, Tele's and even offsets by other makes are more than enough to keep me in tons of guitars.

(And only one maple fretboard 6 string guitar, same reason.)

Angry Possum, radiotech and dbrian66 like this.
  6. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    My chair has arms, so I slide forward in the chair a bit, and also lean forward a little. My left forearm kind of rests on my left thigh. The guitar body just touches my right ribs below my armpit (no pain or issues), and the neck is angled forward so that the neck rests in my left hand.

7. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    To be a little more specific, I feel that either I'm comfortable but the guitar's neck is too low, or the guitar's neck is in the right position, but the guitar's body digs into my right side/chest area. I'm a beginner, so I probably don't have a correct guitar posture.

Thanks to all of you, I'm going to try what you said.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Try moving the whole guitar towards your neck hand so that the low part of the upper curve of the guitar body is what is touching your body. Instead of the high part where the switch is. Does that make sense?

Beautiful guitar by the way!

9. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Kind of like this.

63DF9361-3898-4C29-A646-5981DA833E11.jpeg

10. guitalias

guitalias Squier-Meister

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    Also a beginner with trouble getting comfortable sitting, so I made a body 20200903_160105.jpg

ancient, Viking, jefffam and 5 others like this.
  11. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    @dbrian66 Thanks! I never started an NGD thread because I wasn't too sure about the guitar comfortwise. I definitely love its sound and it's a really high-quality guitar, though...

I don't really get what you mean by the low part of the upper curve...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Angry Possum likes this.
  12. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    The Slash position is a good idea (in fact it's exactly how I would like the guitar's body to be) but unfortunately I don't feel comfortable with the neck that low.

Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.
  13. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
  14. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    The narrowest part of the guitar.

I put an arrow pointing to it.

58781035-B6FD-40BA-8AC1-1B571662192A.jpeg

BlueSquirrel and Angry Possum like this.
  15. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I play with it in my lap, not off to the side.
    Another option is a guitar like the Fastback. Short scale and plays somewhere between an LP and a Telecaster with two humbuckers.

16. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Right. The thing is, if I slide it to the left to move the narrowest part towards the left, the bottom part of the guitar starts digging into my right thigh (!).

17. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    I guess I should just "man up"! :D

duzie, Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.
  18. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    With his rigid right arm, permanently bent/crooked, LP did have medical issues, (also severe arthritis in his hands), but the picture is a good visual for playing in the middle of your lap, which also automatically brings the fretboard closer to you head/eyes and higher, making fingerings easier, with far less strain on your wrist.

Les paul sitting 1.jpg

ETA: I don't know anything about this guy, but fairly decent, reasoned approach to playing electric guitar classical style.

19. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Dr. Squier

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    It may take a bit of muscle memory ,meaning retraining your hand to feel comfy so to speak. It's a beautiful guitar, I hope you stick with it...

20. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Ye olde back pad is an option no one has mentioned! These have kinda fallen out of favor, but I remember when lots of old timers used these:

[​IMG] upload_2020-9-15_16-21-2.jpeg upload_2020-9-15_16-21-15.jpeg [​IMG]