Les Paul digging into ribs and chest while sitting. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by BlueSquirrel, Sep 15, 2020.

1. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    I love playing Les Paul's, however their edges tend to dig into one's ribs and chest when we play sitting down. How do you manage? Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks very much in advance!

2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Maybe sit up straight? I play my Les Paul more than any other guitar, and I honestly don’t have that issue.

Shaman, Jmv668, BlueSquirrel and 2 others like this.
  3. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I always slouch in my chair while playing...straightens out the tummy/ribs area, raises the guitar up.

BlueSquirrel, jefffam and dbrian66 like this.
  4. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Honestly, that and the weight were the reasons I sold my LP style. Some things work for some folks and not for others.

5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I agree with @dbrian66, not being a smart a$* at all, but sitting up straighter will fix that issue. If a LP digs in, a Dreadnought acoustic must be misery. I'm on the older side with several physical issues, but that adjustment works. If my back is too bad to sit up and play an LP, it is generally hurting too bad to play anything.

Good luck.

(as I play my beautiful Austin Super 6 '56 model with P90's.)

0102201831.jpg

6. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    A belt sander and make it comfortable?
    Squeamish? A shop with a mill and leave while they do the work.

BlueSquirrel, Viking and dbrian66 like this.
  7. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I have that problem with my 335s. I find if I tuck the bottom in so it sits closer to where the leg meets the hip then the top of the body leans out away from my chest. Then the neck seems to want to angle out farther away from my body but it's a tradeoff that works for me. I also have a 339 and an artcore (AM73) that is is a slightly smaller body size. that also helps.

8. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  9. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Sometimes using a strap, though it may need to be adjusted accordingly, can hold and align it better.

All these years of watching rock and punk players wearing a guitar swing low.... really flamenco and classical players have had the guitar positioned correctly for playing ease..

10. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Yep that works for me also.

11. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Before I moved, my desk had a left hand return, and my desk chair had arms, so I usually had to play any guitar in the flamenco/classical type position, to avoid banging the neck or fretting arm into things. Actually, it brings the fretboard close to your head for observation. Others may think it looks funny with an electric guitar, but if you are a bedroom / living room / basement / man-cave player, who cares....

(It does make it more difficult, after a while, to play in the more conventional 'over the knee/thigh' position. The between the knees classical style being more comfortable and having the fretboard that much closer.)

ETA: Th reason I was playing at my desk, instead of a place with less obstructions, is all my music, chords, etc. is on computer. I was at my desk to utilize the computer. When I converted to more mobile laptops, I was used to playing at my desk. I also used an external larger monitor.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  12. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Nut

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    what chair do you use ?
    have you tried a higher sitting position ?

13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Dr. Squier

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I'm a sit down player myself so LPs and my P93 are somewhat uncomfortable to play but I've gotten used to it. Sometimes I cant get comfortable with it so adding a strap and sitting on the edge of the seat helps.
    I'm sure this info doesn't help @BlueSquirrel but I think you just have to move your body around until the guitar settles in so to speak.

14. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier Talker

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    Dude, have you ever seen Slash or Jimmy Page play their Les Pauls sitting down? You're supposed to play it standing up, with a strap long enough so that the pickup selector switch is slightly lower than your belt buckle.

LAPlayer, Angry Possum, Shine and 3 others like this.
  15. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
  16. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    I realized that aside from heaviness, this is one reason I disliked Les Pauls - whether sitting or standing it was uncomfortable for me.

What made me give LP's another chance was trying out the non-maple capped, non-lacquered Epiphone Specials - it made a world of difference and now I enjoy playing those so much my top of the line Agile LP is sitting in its case, ignored! Heck, even my SG's sit idly since I got these satin finished VE models.

17. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I guess Les Paul played it wrong...:rolleyes:

Les paul sitting 1.jpg Gibson LP-studio-Les Paul.jpg

18. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Dr. Squier

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Dude, not all of us can be rock stars..... and for the record the OP is a woman.

19. JSutter

JSutter Squier Talker

May 22, 2019
    Maine
    If it bothers you that much sell it. There are plenty of LPs or similar with contours. I have a PRS SE245 and LTD EC-401, both are far more comfortable than my Epiphone Standard.

Eddd, Angry Possum, Shine and 3 others like this.