La bicyclette

speelyei

Squier-holic
Sep 22, 2020
North America
A really fun over-nighter in the San Juan mountains of New Mexico. The high point elevation on this ride was over 10,000'! It went down to 18 degrees fahrenheit and dumped hail all night.
40578307_1367338930065916_5438022474748919808_n_1367338920065917.jpg

I was a late convert to hammock camping, but I've been in weather as cold as 12 degrees (f), and stayed warm and dry the whole time. I treated myself to an evening at Ojo Caliente Hot Springs the next night.

I'm going out to the garage to do some minimum maintenance on the Mule. Maybe I'll post a pic from tomorrows short, flat ride?
40636362_1367339270065882_444561159886995456_n_1367339266732549.jpg

howserx

Squier-Nut
Apr 20, 2017
Toronto, Canada(not really)
Damn, I've got "I've been everywhere" going through my head after all those pics. It's hard getting back on after a long period of not riding. I've been trying to get back to biking to work and While I enjoy it, it's hard work! Once or twice a week isn't enough to keep the legs where they need to be. It's also starting to get cold so all the extra layers don't help. It was -1C this morning. Once the temp stays below zero I'm done. Not because of the cold, just worried about ice on the road.

Afrika61

Squier-holic
A couple more:

Near Hoover dam on a 113 degree day.
View attachment 215110

A place called "Big Dune" in W NV. It took a lot of riding, and a lot of pushing to get to the top. I rode down in about 9 seconds.
View attachment 215111

A really fun ride from Fort Mason marina, over the Golden Gate Bridge, through Sausolito to Tiburon, then rode the ferry back to the Piers. I got heckled by hardcore SF Bike Commuters.
View attachment 215112

I can't remember what lake, someplace way up in the Sierras crossing over near Yosemite.
View attachment 215113
My morning commute takes me through the woods via the trail along the river bank:
DSCF1180.JPG DSCF1181.JPG
When the Assiniboine is running low, you'll see the odd MTB'er trying to ford the river here:
DSCF0013 (2).JPG

mkgearhead

Dr. Squier
Dec 18, 2009
Fort Morgan, CO
Nice! That looks like someone has upgraded some of the components already?
It was stock when I got it. The last pic was a week after I got it. I got rid of the steel crank arms and handlebars and pretty much replaced the whole drivetrain with gearing better suited for the bike. I have a set of hydraulic brakes for it too. Here's a pic of it when I got it.
malus.jpg

fuelish

Squier-holic
Jun 20, 2015
south of Knox Vegas TN
After 20 years of fixing bikes in a shop and forty plus hours a week I hate even looking at a bike when I leave for the day.I’d rather walk.
It's better than being a nurse, having the same high maintenance patients night after night, week after week or more, usually .....would rather work on mechanicals/machines than the stupid humans that've been spawned over the decades....sounds callous, but it's the truth.....I retired from nursing, just have to find something somewhat satisfying for a few years 'til retirement age ....nursing is a young optimistic person's game, am jaded and just pill seekers, etc, etc.....sounds bad, but.....am over and out

Eddd

Squier-holic
Nov 20, 2019
Canada
It's better than being a nurse, having the same high maintenance patients night after night, week after week or more, usually .....would rather work on mechanicals/machines than the stupid humans that've been spawned over the decades....sounds callous, but it's the truth.....I retired from nursing, just have to find something somewhat satisfying for a few years 'til retirement age ....nursing is a young optimistic person's game, am jaded and just pill seekers, etc, etc.....sounds bad, but.....am over and out
No comparison,at least I don’t have to deal with stupid people ,that’s the bosses job.I don’t really like a lot of people.I’m happy you are done with it and are able to do whatever you want. Don’t get me wrong,I really love my job the pay is pretty good and so are my coworkers.it just at the end of the day I’m tired of bikes and just want to eat ,veg,watch t.v. and play guitar .

Eddd

Squier-holic
Nov 20, 2019
Canada
It was stock when I got it. The last pic was a week after I got it. I got rid of the steel crank arms and handlebars and pretty much replaced the whole drivetrain with gearing better suited for the bike. I have a set of hydraulic brakes for it too. Here's a pic of it when I got it.
View attachment 215227
What brakes are ya gonna put on it.

Eddd

Squier-holic
Nov 20, 2019
Canada
They’re pretty sleek looking ,let’s hope pads are available and you can find a way to bleed ‘em.

Afrika61

Squier-holic
My sister got out after 44 years for pretty much the same reason: the work was still interesting to her but the people, including a large percentage of the young crop of nurses, just left her frustrated. The younger nurses were often of the opinion that, as they'd put in so much time in school, they should have automatically been slotted into an administration position: a LOT of them got a rude awakening when they found out that they had to get their hands dirty working with(God FORBIDE!) sick people,...

mkgearhead

Dr. Squier
Dec 18, 2009
Fort Morgan, CO
They’re pretty sleek looking ,let’s hope pads are available and you can find a way to bleed ‘em.
It shouldn’t be too hard, just more involved than it needs to be. As long as I get the bleed port on the caliper higher than the rest of the system I can attach the cup and a clear tube to the caliper and all the air bubbles should rise to the top and into the cup.

speelyei

Squier-holic
Sep 22, 2020
North America
I’ve only had one bicycle that had hydraulic brakes. I made the mistake of storing it upside down hanging from hooks on the garage ceiling. I ended up having to replace the brakes because of this, so be aware of that.
On my current bike I installed Avid BB-7 MTB’s. They’re a mechanical disc brake that’s been great for me.

Paulsomeone

Squier-Meister
Dec 26, 2020
Canada
Seeing as it's the end of October and it's freezing here on a regular basis (my latest excuse for not leaving the house), and dark by 6 pm, I bought an indoor trainer. It wasn't easy finding one that will work with a fixed gear bike (120mm rear axle spacing instead of 130mm) and I didn't want to buy a set of rollers since I live alone and with my level of coordination I'd be broken on the floor with nobody to notice. But think the one I got will work. It's a set of narrow rollers for the back wheel with a stand the fork mounts to. From the videos it seems pretty stable (I may prove that to be wrong).

Now if I get a speed sensor I might sign up for Zwift and adopt to peer pressure to make me ride. At least, the theory is it can be social. I don't see myself signing up for the racing or intense training sessions. But a leisurely ride in some virtual world might be fun (certainly no risk of running into the ex-girlfriend which is already a huge plus).

Anyone try Zwift or the other online cycling apps?

Paulsomeone

Squier-Meister
Dec 26, 2020
Canada
Just for fun, I searched for eBike in this thread and saw none. o_O
eBikes are awesome. I was on some islands on the west coast of Canada recently and a LOT of people were riding them. On one ferry trip the front of the ferry was full of eBikes. Anything that gets people out riding has got to be a plus. And some of the newer offerings even look like regular bikes - the batteries are integrated in the downtube.